Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
China Diapers
China Diapers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Recent purchases on Kindle not viewable in Calibre

Hi,

Recent .kfx format Kindle books I have downloaded are not visible in Calibre. Books in the same format which I purchased a few months ago are visible.

If I browse the Kindle as an external drive I can see the file on the Kindle.

I user a Kindle Paperwhite.

Anybody know what's going on?

Edit: subject should have read " Recent purchases on Kindle not viewable in Calibre"
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Direct to device purchases are not always available to Calibre for detection. This feature is not limited to your brand or model.

I always download (from the store) to the PC. optional: enable DRM cleansing when I add the book to calibre (Calibre can only manage that format, if it has DRM)

Calibre is the ONLY way books make it to my device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
China Diapers
China Diapers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Direct to device purchases are not always available to Calibre for detection. This feature is not limited to your brand or model.

I always download (from the store) to the PC. optional: enable DRM cleansing when I add the book to calibre (Calibre can only manage that format, if it has DRM)

Calibre is the ONLY way books make it to my device
Thanks for the response.

I didn't realise it's possible to download directly to a device other than Kindle, it doesn't appear to be an option on my account and google not turning up anything useful.

Below are the steps I take:
1. Navigate to Manage Your Content and Devices
2. Click action button (...) next to book
3. select Download & transfer via USB

This give the option to download to Kindle.

Do you mind elaborating on how this is done?
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe you need Kindle for PC or Mac; see Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for possible issues (and links)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Diapers View Post
Thanks for the response.

I didn't realise it's possible to download directly to a device other than Kindle, it doesn't appear to be an option on my account and google not turning up anything useful.

Below are the steps I take:
1. Navigate to Manage Your Content and Devices
2. Click action button (...) next to book
3. select Download & transfer via USB

This give the option to download to Kindle.

Do you mind elaborating on how this is done?
I was under the impression that Download and Transfer via USB downloaded the file to a directory on your PC and then you could transfer it to the Kindle's Document directory via a file copy function. If all you want is the file on your computer, simply leave out the copy to Kindle step, browse to the download directory from calibre and add the file.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
If you have a Kindle ereader registered on your Amazon account you are give an option to download and transfer via usb. At the moment this always gives you a file with the extension .azw3 or sometimes .azw. Calibre fully supports these files. However, Calibre does not fully support kfx files, which are now delivered to all later Kindle models by default. Even K4PC delivers kfx files, though there is a workaround to get the older files which Calibre does support.

The key to your Amazon files being fully supported including viewable in Calibre is to get .azw3 or .azw files rather than .kfx. for importing into Calibre. Files downloaded directly to your device will be .kfx.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
... However, Calibre does not fully support kfx files, which are now delivered to all later Kindle models by default. Even K4PC delivers kfx files, though there is a workaround to get the older files which Calibre does support. ...

The key to your Amazon files being fully supported including viewable in Calibre is to get .azw3 or .azw files rather than .kfx. for importing into Calibre. Files downloaded directly to your device will be .kfx.
I didn't know this. So, if I continue to use my Kindle 4 (non-touch) for downloading Kindle books I should be okay? The only newer Kindle I have is the Kindle 8th Generation, but I've never tried transferring to Calibre using it.

(I assume the Kindle Touch would not be considered "newer"?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't know this. So, if I continue to use my Kindle 4 (non-touch) for downloading Kindle books I should be okay? The only newer Kindle I have is the Kindle 8th Generation, but I've never tried transferring to Calibre using it.

(I assume the Kindle Touch would not be considered "newer"?)
Your 8th gen Kindle will get KFX when available. KFX cannot be transferred to Calibre.

The Kindle Touch does not support KFX but does support KF8. So you would be able to transfer KF8 or Mobi from the Kindle touch to Calibre.

I believe the K4NT doesn't support KFX so same deal as the Kindle Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your 8th gen Kindle will get KFX when available. KFX cannot be transferred to Calibre.

The Kindle Touch does not support KFX but does support KF8. So you would be able to transfer KF8 or Mobi from the Kindle touch to Calibre.

I believe the K4NT doesn't support KFX so same deal as the Kindle Touch.
Okay, thanks. So basically the only Kindle I own that would currently get KFX files is the 8th Generation. I'm guessing "KFX" means KF10 as opposed to KF8? (Sounds like a good reason to have an older Kindle on hand.)

(The K4NT is basically a Kindle 3 without a keyboard. But I guess they do have different software releases.)

Last edited by rcentros; 02-26-2018 at 12:39 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote