Notices

Old 06-15-2022, 04:35 AM   #1
Rkob
Reader
Rkob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Very unstable Libra 2 with 4.33.19611

Hi,

I got a new Libra 2 last week. I really like the device, but it has been very unstable and crashes often, to the point of being barely usable.

When I intially started the device, it ran 4.30.18838.
I played a bit with the settings, logged in to Overdrive and Pocket, tried to read a few articles and a few pages from an Overdrive book. Everything seemed to work fine.
I got a pop-up asking me to update, I accepted, and the device restarted with 4.33.19611.
After this point, the device became very unstable:
  • Many freezes followed by restarts (even with very light use or when I did not touch anything at all)
  • A restart while sleeping
I tried a factory reset, but it didn't help.
I also did a manual reset yesterday, and observed the same as during the initial "out of the box" start :
  • Device came up with 4.30.18838 after the reset. Everything seemed stable
  • Got an upgrade pop-up which I cancelled ("Upgrade Later" or something)
  • Used the device a bit more without problem
  • Let the device alone for a couple of hours
  • When I took it again, it had upgraded to 4.33.19611 and now crashes constantly.

I noticed that the device generated some stack traces (.kobo/stack_*.log), which indicate Segmentation Faults (SIGSEGV) in the nickel process.

I would really appreciate some help/guidance from this forum! 😊
  • Can I safely assume that the HW is fine, since the device seems OK with 4.30.18838?
    I was considering exchanging it, but it may not help if the crashes are due to a weird combination of firmware + specific settings / actions.
  • What could I do to investigate this further?
    I could probably try a downgrade to 4.30.18838 again, to see if the device is stable there. But I guess I would need to patch the firmware ("Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading") to avoid an automatic upgrade as soon as I look the other way?
    Other ideas of things I could try, to confirm that this is not a HW issue?
  • I cannot do much with the stack traces without the source code. What is the best way to send to the Kobo dev. team?
    I saw a mention of the help@kobobooks.com address on an old thread. Is it still active and monitored by someone from Kobo? Would it help to send my traces there?

Regards,
--
Rkob
Rkob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:47 AM   #2
AnnaKelly1987
AnnaKelly1987 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Everything seems fine with your device. It seems to be more of a software issue. I'd downgrade the system and turn off the wifi if it's possible. It's unfortunately the only way to prevent system updates.
AnnaKelly1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkob View Post
[*]Can I safely assume that the HW is fine, since the device seems OK with 4.30.18838?

You can't safely assume that at all. This kind of instability is not typical of the device with firmware 4.33, (either in my own experience, or related here.).. so the problem is either with the content you are loading on the device triggering a software bug, or the software exposing a hardware problem. If you you are still within DOA return period for whatever retail channel you purchased the kobo, I would return it for an exchange. (This will be more difficult if purchased directly from Kobo, but at least you will have the full warranty period if it comes to that.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try 4.32.x
Scroll to bottom of page and click Versions here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

April 2022 4.32.19501 Download for Libra 2 (hover on link on page)
If it's still bad, then either the database is damaged (check it in Calibre) or some other problem has developed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Try 4.32.x
Scroll to bottom of page and click Versions here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

April 2022 4.32.19501 Download for Libra 2 (hover on link on page)
If it's still bad, then either the database is damaged (check it in Calibre) or some other problem has developed.
It's best to check the database with Kobo Utilities (plugin for Calibre) before doing anything with the firmware. Because if the database is corrupt, who know s what would happen trying to swap the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Yes, my Kobo Libra 2 has been unstable with recent firmwares, too. It was fine with 4.30.18838, but freezes with irritating frequency when, for instance, switching books or going to the main settings page, with all subsequent firmwares.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Rkob
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's best to check the database with Kobo Utilities (plugin for Calibre) before doing anything with the firmware. Because if the database is corrupt, who know s what would happen trying to swap the firmware.
The database is OK, according to Kobo Utilities.
But I did at least one manual reset yesterday. Wouldn't I get a fresh database then? Or do you mean that the database could have been corrupted just after (or before) the upgrade to 4.33.19611?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Yes, my Kobo Libra 2 has been unstable with recent firmwares, too. It was fine with 4.30.18838, but freezes with irritating frequency when, for instance, switching books or going to the main settings page, with all subsequent firmwares.
Hmm… If other people are seeing similar behaviours, it could strengthen the theory that the firmware is buggy and that my HW is fine. But of course, it could also be a coincidence and my crashes could be due to something completely different! 😊

I will try to run 4.30.18838 for a while, probably patched with "Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading" to avoid an immediate upgrade to 4.33.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will try to run 4.30.18838 for a while, probably patched with "Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading" to avoid an immediate upgrade to 4.33.
Go for 4.32. and not 4.30. I've run 4.32 and had no problems.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Go for 4.32. and not 4.30. I've run 4.32 and had no problems.
I have no problems with 4.32 either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:46 AM   #10
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
My Libra 2 running 4.33.19611 is very stable and has not crashed for several days, as long as nanoclock is not installed.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I only upgraded to 4.33[...] today, but I then read for about three hours with no problems at all. Also connected to Calibre and loaded a couple of books, no issues.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #12
Rkob
Reader

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I tried 4.30.18838 yesterday evening and read for about one hour. It crashed "only" 2 times, when reading a Pocket article. Reading an Overdrive book seemed OK. It was way, way better than 4.33 (but not perfect).

I will try 4.32 tonight and see how it goes. Then 4.33 again tomorrow.

⇒ Question to those of you who run without crashes on 4.32 and 4.33: do you use the Pocket integration? Overdrive?
I've only tried the Libra 2 with those two integrations enabled, and only read documents from there. Not sure how / what people usually read, so I wonder if it could explain why it crashes so much for me (apart from a HW fault?).
I could probably return the Overdrive book, not activate Pocket and try a sideloaded EPUB book instead, to see how it behaves on 4.33.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
⇒ Question to those of you who run without crashes on 4.32 and 4.33: do you use the Pocket integration? Overdrive?
I've only tried the Libra 2 with those two integrations enabled, and only read documents from there. Not sure how / what people usually read, so I wonder if it could explain why it crashes so much for me (apart from a HW fault?).
I could probably return the Overdrive book, not activate Pocket and try a sideloaded EPUB book instead, to see how it behaves on 4.33.
I do not use Pocket or Overdrive with my Libra 2.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I do not use Pocket or Overdrive with my Libra 2.
Me neither.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #15
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'm a huge user of Pocket but don't use Overdrive; perhaps that has something to do with why I still see instability in the latest firmware on my Libra 2.

I also almost exclusively read .kepub books bought directly from Kobo; I almost never use plain .epub (so my rendering is done my Nickel, not RMDSK).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote