Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 05:07 AM   #1
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
random problem with sending EPubs to Kindle

Hello.
Amazon having finally killed the sending of Mobis to Kindles, I use SendToKindle (the computer version, since the app doesn't work), mostly successfully.
But a few random files will just not let themselves be transferred (not that they are refused from the start, but the transfer never gets completed and I get e-mails telling me so). It is usually rather large files of the "complete works" type (35-100 mo), some made with EPubMerge (but not all).
I tried converting from EPub to EPub, editing (checking for problems and fixing any that Calibre can fix), compressing the files with Online Converter : nothing works. It is as if there was either something plainly wrong with the files, or missing from them.
It is all the more irritating since those very samee books could be sent without any issue in Mobi.
Does anyone know whether there is anything (technically accessible to a not-so-gifted user) to be done about this ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Plug your kindle into your computer and transfer the files to it by clicking the send to device button in calibre.

If you really, really want to workaround amazon's broken epub support in their send to kindle service, you can try converting the epub to mobi, then converting the mobi back to epub, that often simplifies its internals enough to a point that amazon will accept it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hello.
Amazon having finally killed the sending of Mobis to Kindles, I use SendToKindle (the computer version, since the app doesn't work), mostly successfully.
But a few random files will just not let themselves be transferred (not that they are refused from the start, but the transfer never gets completed and I get e-mails telling me so). It is usually rather large files of the "complete works" type (35-100 mo), some made with EPubMerge (but not all).
I tried converting from EPub to EPub, editing (checking for problems and fixing any that Calibre can fix), compressing the files with Online Converter : nothing works. It is as if there was either something plainly wrong with the files, or missing from them.
It is all the more irritating since those very samee books could be sent without any issue in Mobi.
Does anyone know whether there is anything (technically accessible to a not-so-gifted user) to be done about this ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Have you used epubcheck to check for any errors in your ePub?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:33 AM   #4
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Hello.
Thanks for you help.
I downloaded a version of EPubCheck and used it on a book, it did detect one problem (apparently a slight one - though one never knows), but then I didn't know how to repair it...
On the other hand, the EPub -> Mobi -> Epub method worked perfectly for the couple of books on which I tried it - and also drastically reduced the size of the final EPub in the process.
I had tried converting from EPub to EPub but that was not sufficient, obviously, while the come-and-go EPub/Mobi is.
Many thanks again.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote