Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Scroll down a bit, it is there.

And the last link points to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #92
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm. Reading the README_FIRST.txt inside the package, while I'm somewhat familiar with linux system commands ( I do linux backups, and need dd and access to all disk areas) I've not played with networking. I think I'll do as suggested, and leave this package ALONE!

KindleLazy programmer (ie zxczxc) If you need my input on what the KT3 returns when you press keys, or when I press the presenter's buttons, can you have KindleLazy return those values to screen somehow? I'll be glad to pass the values on to you.

Otherwise -- I'll wait till somebody else asserts that the KT3 works correctly. Then, I'll use the new config.json file that they provide --- or else I'll decide my problem is my micro-to-USB adapter.

I'll just wait a while ..... don't greatly need KL to work, though it would be fun!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #93
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
ok, so badgoodDeb... you are saying with your KT3 it doesn't work at all?
and you have the exact same controller presentor thing I shared on amazon?
If it's the same one (or anything similar, they all send the same buttons) - the buttons/codes are not the problem, they don't need to be changed. (I'm saying the config file is ok)

if it is simply not working with KT3... then I will need to think
I will need to make it support more devices, in a neat way.

Last edited by zxczxc; 10-03-2016 at 04:32 PM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #94
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Correct. It doesn't work at all with my KT3. The presenter is ok, as it works on my mac. And yes, I followed your link to buy the presenter (tho I switched to the black one; the link pointed to a white one).

Now, it still *might* be my adapter, but I tried two out of the package of 5. So unless the whole design of my adapter (naked, teeny thing like you bought - but different source) is wrong, then maybe it's the key codes.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #95
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
badgoodDeb: Do you plan to JB your KV? I have the black presenter and the page turns and restart from screensaver (for 60 seconds) work fine with the KV, although the light adjustment doesn't and it doesn't work with koreader.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #96
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Hmmm. Reading the README_FIRST.txt inside the package, while I'm somewhat familiar with linux system commands ( I do linux backups, and need dd and access to all disk areas) I've not played with networking. I think I'll do as suggested, and leave this package ALONE!

KindleLazy programmer (ie zxczxc) If you need my input on what the KT3 returns when you press keys, or when I press the presenter's buttons, can you have KindleLazy return those values to screen somehow? I'll be glad to pass the values on to you.

Otherwise -- I'll wait till somebody else asserts that the KT3 works correctly. Then, I'll use the new config.json file that they provide --- or else I'll decide my problem is my micro-to-USB adapter.

I'll just wait a while ..... don't greatly need KL to work, though it would be fun!
Install the new kTerm that baf just released on his site.

Similar enough to Mac terminal you should not have any problems.

Then you can get the key codes directly on the device.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #97
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Ok soo good the presenter works.

If you have an android phone/tablet to test the usb adaptor (together with the presenter, or any usb keyboard/mouse), you should (hopefully) see it working. (Find some app to type in, like emails or typing a web address etc, then push some buttons)

The first usb adaptor I tested didn't work!

Anyway, by all means it could be a problem with KindleLazy. Although I don't see how the KT3 can be much different to PW3... (with respect to how this stuff is working)
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #98
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
badgoodDeb: Do you plan to JB your KV? I have the black presenter and the page turns and restart from screensaver (for 60 seconds) work fine with the KV, although the light adjustment doesn't and it doesn't work with koreader.
Well, I *didn't* plan to JB the KV .... but it would be a good way to test my adapter, wouldn't it? Maybe I'll do that.

Does JBing affect the use of Amazon's cloud-type collections? I hate them, but I am heavily invested in them. If I copy back all my books, after doing the JB and returning to the same system version -- will the collections be there too? Or do I have to re-tell each book what collection it belongs in? (Ugh)

Or, do I download (STAR) the collections that I want on the KV, after reaching the desired firmware and BEFORE I put all my books back into the /documents folder?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #99
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Ok soo good the presenter works.

If you have an android phone/tablet to test the usb adaptor (together with the presenter, or any usb keyboard/mouse), you should (hopefully) see it working. (Find some app to type in, like emails or typing a web address etc, then push some buttons)

The first usb adaptor I tested didn't work!

Anyway, by all means it could be a problem with KindleLazy. Although I don't see how the KT3 can be much different to PW3... (with respect to how this stuff is working)
I have a cheap Android phone I could try. (I never use it, so I don't know much about it, but that sounds easy enough.) A text editor? Do you expect the presenter to leave control type character-garbage? (if the adapter is okay)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #100
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, I *didn't* plan to JB the KV .... but it would be a good way to test my adapter, wouldn't it? Maybe I'll do that.

Does JBing affect the use of Amazon's cloud-type collections? I hate them, but I am heavily invested in them. If I copy back all my books, after doing the JB and returning to the same system version -- will the collections be there too? Or do I have to re-tell each book what collection it belongs in? (Ugh)

Or, do I download (STAR) the collections that I want on the KV, after reaching the desired firmware and BEFORE I put all my books back into the /documents folder?
If all your books are on the Amazon cloud, it should be a simple matter of bringing them back to the Kindle when all done.
Using the Kindle's Cloud as a backup that way and it will not matter what firmware version you decide to install.

I expect your collection organization to be saved/restored on the cloud also, but I don't have any experience with that.

And if not, we have a utility that will save you a lot of time and effort re-creating the collections - LibrarianSync.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #101
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If all your books are on the Amazon cloud, it should be a simple matter of bringing them back to the Kindle when all done.
Using the Kindle's Cloud as a backup that way and it will not matter what firmware version you decide to install.

I expect your collection organization to be saved/restored on the cloud also, but I don't have any experience with that.
With 800 some books currently on my kindle, I'm not sure I want to do that ..... A bunch are freebies that I may never get to, and they *do* get removed from locality (i.e. being downloaded local to the kindle) each time I buy a new kindle -- but I'm still not sure I want them to go before I'm ready. Yeah, they're in the cloud, but ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And if not, we have a utility that will save you a lot of time and effort re-creating the collections - LibrarianSync.
Yeah, I'm not keen on starting over. I'll think about it.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #102
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I tried the presenter and USB adapter on my Android phone. Couldn't find an application to test the forward / back buttons in, BUT the volume controls buttons did bring up a volume dialog, and changed the volume! So, the presenter is again tested okay, and the adapter tests okay too.

I suspect the KT3 is just different somehow. Since you wrote KindleLazy for yourself, and it works well on your PW3 (and even on jscris's KV by happenstance) you are quite within your rights to leave it at that. But if you ever find what's different about the KT3 and put that in, well, that would be icing on the cake!

In short -- no pressure. If it ever works, I'll try it. If you quit with what you've got, that's fine too. Thanks for some cool software!

Oh -- when I press the button to start KindleLazy, it dumps me back to my book index. I imagine that's what it's supposed to do. If not, well then, that's another piece of data for you.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #103
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Hmmm... I'm guessing that USB reciever (for the presenter thingy) needs USB OTG support? Is this correct? Maybe KT3 doesn't support OTG mode? Anybody knows if it has support for Kindle Audio Adapter that PW3 can use?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Hmmm... I'm guessing that USB reciever (for the presenter thingy) needs USB OTG support?
Is this correct?
It does.
Yes, that is correct.
Quote:
Maybe KT3 doesn't support OTG mode?
It does have support for OTG mode.
The KOA and the KT3 (both 8th generation devices) are the most advanced in both hardware and software.
Quote:
Anybody knows if it has support for Kindle Audio Adapter that PW3 can use?
I do.
It does.
There was no feature reduction between the 7th and 8th generation devices.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #105
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I don't have KT3 so I can't be expected to know things like that for certain. There is always possibility that Amazon/Lab123 thought it would be "logical" to exclude some features from what is the basic Kindle model. Like "let's remove the built-in light" , "let's remove accessibility features"...

Or who knows what happens and we end with situations like my Nexus 4 not having USB OTG support (hardware wise; you would need external power supply AND adding kernel support) when previous model and all the newer ones after Nexus 4 have had it.

I've ask the question because sometimes the obvious stuff like that doesn't get examined before we all go "serial port, ssh, button codes, debug away". If the presenter works and USB cable works on some other device, that was the first thing that crossed my mind...

Last edited by shamanNS; 10-04-2016 at 11:14 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, remote control