Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #526
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible to have NickelMenu handle profiles to let us select different profiles? That would be font, line-height, margins, and font size.
And invert screen and light brightness.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #527
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And invert screen and light brightness.
I agree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #528
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree.
I had the smiley on brightness because I believe it is a pie in the sky request.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #529
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I had the smiley on brightness because I believe it is a pie in the sky request.
But it is a good idea if it can be done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #530
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I'll might take a look if I have time after the patches, firmware investigations, koboutils updates, and some NickelMenu updates. Right now, I'm also working on a major kepubify update, which should be at least 2.5x faster for most people due to some concurrency and zip archive improvements (there's still a bit more room for improvement, since the regexp matching for sentences takes quite a bit of time and can probably be faster if rewritten by hand), will probably also have a web version which works locally and doesn't require sending your files anywhere (it'll be much slower since it's single-threaded, though), will have much cleaner code with better tests, and will correctly detect misnamed HTML files.

Sorry about my lack of response over the last month; I've been extremely busy.

And for kepubify, if anyone wants to see the in-progress code: https://github.com/pgaskin/kepubify/network.

Last edited by geek1011; 06-12-2021 at 10:35 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #531
anki
Connoisseur
anki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enoughanki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD | KSM9 | KoReader | Plato
I can't run Koreader on the nickel menu. it was working but i thing some of firmware update of Kobo Reader wil it no more work. I see on the menu Generator error and when i click there it shows;

kfmon: error checking '/tmp/kfmon-ipc.ctl': stat: no souch file or directory

---
Do i need to get some last version of Kfmon and how can i update this?
anki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #532
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@anki: Yup, reinstall either KFMon or the OCP.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:42 AM   #533
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders

I’m not sure why I never installed NickelMenu before. I’ve been loving using it this year. Thanks!

I have a question about Telnet. Anybody know why the connection dies in the middle of a session? My Kobo Clara isn’t asleep, yet suddenly the terminal stops receiving commands. If I force quit the session, I can no longer connect via telnet to my Clara. The process seems hung on the Clara (though it functions as an eReader with no issues). I have to power cycle it in order to regain telnet access. Then the connection dies again after a few minutes.

I’m using the default config:

Code:
menu_item :main    :Telnet             :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
chain_success                        :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
chain_success                        :dbg_toast          :Started Telnet server on port 1023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #534
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’m not sure why I never installed NickelMenu before. I’ve been loving using it this year. Thanks!

I have a question about Telnet. Anybody know why the connection dies in the middle of a session? My Kobo Clara isn’t asleep, yet suddenly the terminal stops receiving commands. If I force quit the session, I can no longer connect via telnet to my Clara. The process seems hung on the Clara (though it functions as an eReader with no issues). I have to power cycle it in order to regain telnet access. Then the connection dies again after a few minutes.

I’m using the default config:

Code:
menu_item :main    :Telnet             :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
chain_success                        :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
chain_success                        :dbg_toast          :Started Telnet server on port 1023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have you got WiFi forced on? Kobo is really aggressive about shutting down the Wifi unless you force on. There's a setting in NickelMenu for that (nickel_setting : force_wifi) which you may want to include in your chain.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:09 PM   #535
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Mk. 7, the reader will also suspend-with-the-lights-on pretty aggressively once Wi-Fi is down and the device is unplugged, if you're not actually touching the device and are *in* a book.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:25 PM   #536
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Have you got WiFi forced on? Kobo is really aggressive about shutting down the Wifi unless you force on. There's a setting in NickelMenu for that (nickel_setting : force_wifi) which you may want to include in your chain.
I see. It hadn't occurred to me that WiFi may have been shutting off. I could enable ForceWifiOn in 'Kobo eReader.conf', but that will call for more frequent charging.

Do you mean like this?

Code:
chain_always : nickel_setting : enable : force_wifi
Old 06-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #537
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I see. It hadn't occurred to me that WiFi may have been shutting off. I could enable ForceWifiOn in 'Kobo eReader.conf', but that will call for more frequent charging.

Do you mean like this?

Code:
chain_always : nickel_setting : enable : force_wifi
Try something like this:

Code:
menu_item:main:Telnet:cmd_output:500:quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023"
  chain_success:skip:10
    chain_failure:cmd_spawn:quiet:/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
    chain_success:cmd_spawn:quiet:exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
    chain_success:skip:2
      chain_failure:dbg_toast:Error starting Telnet server on port 1023
    chain_always:skip:4
      chain_success:dbg_toast:Started Telnet server on port 1023
      chain_always:nickel_setting:enable:force_wifi
      chain_always:nickel_wifi:disable
      chain_always:nickel_wifi:autoconnect
    chain_success:dbg_toast:Stopped Telnet server on port 1023
    chain_always:nickel_setting:disable:force_wifi
    chain_always:nickel_wifi:enable
If you're confused by the skips, they're basically if/else, and they're implemented that way so execution is always guaranteed to move forward for stability (fun fact: it was inspired by libpam auth stacks).

I haven't tested this, and I don't know if the wifi toggle (to apply the force_wifi setting) is too fast for Nickel to pick up.

Last edited by geek1011; 06-21-2021 at 06:11 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 AM   #538
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Try something like this:

Code:
menu_item:main:Telnet:cmd_output:500:quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023"
  chain_success:skip:10
    chain_failure:cmd_spawn:quiet:/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
    chain_success:cmd_spawn:quiet:exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
    chain_success:skip:2
      chain_failure:dbg_toast:Error starting Telnet server on port 1023
      chain_success:dbg_toast:Started Telnet server on port 1023
      chain_always:nickel_setting:enable:force_wifi
      chain_always:nickel_wifi:autoconnect
    chain_success:dbg_toast:Stopped Telnet server on port 1023
    chain_always:nickel_setting:disable:force_wifi
    chain_always:nickel_wifi:enable
If you're confused by the skips, they're basically if/else, and they're implemented that way so execution is always guaranteed to move forward for stability (fun fact: it was inspired by libpam auth stacks).

I haven't tested this, and I don't know if the wifi toggle (to apply the force_wifi setting) is too fast for Nickel to pick up.
Fantastic! Thank you for working that up. I've got an all day event today on the books already, but I know what I'll be playing with later tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

(Also, I appreciate the extra code to study. It'll help me understand your tool better. )

Last edited by Cootey; 06-23-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #539
javl
javl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 2.0
Sometimes when I'm reading in bed I'm in a nice position and don't want to move my hand up to my Kobo Clara to touch the screen for a page turn (I know, lazy) so I've added a physical button. I'm using Nickelmenu to start/stop a script that enables this button to work. Problem is this scrips seems to pause after a few seconds/minutes. I think I read somewhere Nickel will pause any background process, but I can't seem to find where this comment was posted. Touching the screen unpauses the script, making the button work again for a few seconds, but this kinda defeats the purpose of the button
Does anyone know if it's possible to prevent nickel from pausing my script?

The line in nickelmenu is something like
Code:
:500:quiet /bin/sh /myscript.sh &
Oh and a quick second question: what does the :500 in nickelmenu commands do? It is used in the examples and some lines don't seem to work without it, but it doesn't seem to be explained anywhere?

javl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #540
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, that's not going to work.

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you stuff does, but you'd essentially have to trip *actual* hardware bits flagged as wakeup sources (and that'd most likely require true hardware hackery, or possibly custom kernel trickery to flag more stuff as wakeup?; but most of this is out of my wheelhouse).

Sidebar: That NM snippet is incomplete, the timeout values *are* documentend, and you don't need to explicitly background the script unless you're doing it wrong (i.e., cmd_output instead of cmd_spawn).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-27-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel