Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Calling All Sick Ghouls: Recommended Halloween Titles

Hello, fellow nasties.

Time for this year's thread to talk about and/or recommend scary Halloween titles that we've read or are thinking of reading.

Speak up, or forever hold your body parts!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
My first spooky October read will be American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett. Mostly a matter of timing, as the hold just came in from the library so I'll be starting it as soon as I finish my current read.

After that, I have several horror novels lined up on my Kindle, most of which came from the Horror deals thread, and a couple from KU. I think that the first up after American Elsewhere will be The Midnight Tour by Laymon, which is #3 in Beast House. And I think after that I might dive into The Witching Hour, which is huge and could potentially take up the rest of October. I read it years and years ago and have been wanting to read it again, so when it came up in the deals thread just a bit ago, I jumped on it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like something I would like to pick up.

And it's long, too: over 600 pages.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm trying to remember where I first saw it. I think it was in an article that was linked in The Line Up's newsletter. They always have those typical "12 horror novels about blah blah" articles. LOL It's funny - when other web sites put out that kind of content, I don't like it, but when it's about horror, I'm totally fine with it. I have so many books and movies on my TBR / watch lists from that place. I also like that they're part of Open Road Media but they don't just promote their own stuff.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A Night in the Lonesome October by Zelazny. Can't have Halloween without it. So sad there is no ebook version yet.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
A Night in the Lonesome October by Zelazny. Can't have Halloween without it. So sad there is no ebook version yet.
Well, it's been a couple months since the last drop of Zelazny books, so one can hope. Just as a note, it is available in the Apple bookstore, but since the publisher isn't the same as the other Zelazny books, I suspect it's not an authorized edition.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

I'm 60% through American Elsewhere. It's... as weird as advertised. And it looks like my reading plans are going to be modified by library holds coming in. I could hold the holds, but one of them is Battle Ground (Dresden) which I want to read, and the next one coming in after that is Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, which fits with Halloween reading just fine.

I also bought The Exorcist and The Omen yesterday so those are definitely on the list now, even if it means that Halloween lasts till Thanksgiving.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Well, it's been a couple months since the last drop of Zelazny books, so one can hope. Just as a note, it is available in the Apple bookstore, but since the publisher isn't the same as the other Zelazny books, I suspect it's not an authorized edition.
Farrago publishing has picked it up - but only for UK and Australia, according to their email.

https://farragobooks.com/book/a-nigh...esome-october/
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can recommend Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.

Lovecraft Country is a 2016 dark fantasy horror novel by Matt Ruff, exploring the conjunction between the horror fiction of H. P. Lovecraft and racism in the United States during the era of Jim Crow laws, as experienced by black science-fiction fan Atticus Turner and his family.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can recommend Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.

Lovecraft Country is a 2016 dark fantasy horror novel by Matt Ruff, exploring the conjunction between the horror fiction of H. P. Lovecraft and racism in the United States during the era of Jim Crow laws, as experienced by black science-fiction fan Atticus Turner and his family.
This one gets a recommendation from me as well. I read it a couple of months ago. And the novel works just fine even if you're not into Lovecraft.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
This one gets a recommendation from me as well. I read it a couple of months ago. And the novel works just fine even if you're not into Lovecraft.
I've not read it, but I am watching and enjoying the TV series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

...and from me, as well.