Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
skunkworks
skunkworks began at the beginning.

Device: none
fixing error with OL

The epub I created seemed to be okay. However, while attempting to upload it to Draft2Digital, I received an error message. Their customer service responded:
[Entire Error Message]So, an epub file is basically a fancy zip folder with multiple files of code compiled into it.This is the error code:
[First portion of error message (i.e. ERROR(RSC-005) ) ]This section tells you which file has the error within it and the approximate location to find the error:
[File name and directory (i.e. OEBPS.toc.xhtml(9,9) ) ]The (x,y) tells you the line and a rough character location within the file [actual file name (i.e. toc.xhtml)]The actual error you have within the file:
[Error message details or description (i.e. element "ol" incomplete; missing required element "li") ]

Upon opening the file in the editor, I do not see a file named toc.xhtml (see attachments). Guidance will be most appreciated!
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You must have made an epub3 file and neglected to add the toc for epub2?
Or something.
I'd only upload PDFs for POD paper to Draft2Digital. They merged or bought Smashwords and an epub is better uploaded there. Unless it's changed recently.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
skunkworks

We meet again. I used all the defaults in Calibre. I'll look into the epub3 format on another go-round. I wanted to use the epub for ebooks, not paperbacks. I took one look inside Smashwords and ran straight to D2D. It looks much easier and has some cool features. Just my two cents' worth.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that was just an example of what EPUBcheck errors look like and how to interpret them, not a specific error for your book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
Upon opening the file in the editor, I do not see a file named toc.xhtml (see attachments). Guidance will be most appreciated!
Shameless plug: install Java and my EPUBCheck Calibre plugin. Then open your book in the Calibre editor and have it checked by EPUBCheck.
If it finds errors, you can click on the error message and go to the element that caused the error. Also press F7 to have your book checked by Calibre.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
skunkworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that was just an example of what EPUBcheck errors look like and how to interpret them, not a specific error for your book.
You are correct! I feel like I'm chasing my tail. Sigh. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2023, 03:09 PM   #7
skunkworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Shameless plug: install Java and my EPUBCheck Calibre plugin. Then open your book in the Calibre editor and have it checked by EPUBCheck.
If it finds errors, you can click on the error message and go to the element that caused the error. Also press F7 to have your book checked by Calibre.
I just might do that. Thanks!

Cute avatar.