Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
BooksGuy
BooksGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PC WINdows
Manage Amazon and Scribd Books - Purchase new Calibre license and other products

Windows 11

I do not even know where to put this, I am sorry so many groups.

I've bought Calibre and some other products 5 years ago. I lost my license information and am going to purchase again.

I want to fully manage all of my books on amazon. Backup/copy I am not sure of the right term. I am generally seeking to back them up. Then I also have books I might want to change formats of. I did a search and so much comes up it is confusing. Is there a link that tells me how to use calibre and similar products with amazon? Even if the link is old.

I would also like to do the same with Scribd. However, scribd seems different than amazon. If not a tool here it their any tools that would help me manage, I have a lot. I've noticed with scribd "Books" are somehow handled differently than document.

Any thoughts or advice here is great.
BooksGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:48 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is FREE at the official download site.
Of coarse, Donations are accepted (click the heart icon on a new install)

BUT
It does not 'manage' books anywhere BUT your local PC and Hardrive. Calibre is not 'network share/cloud safe'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
To back up your Amazon books, you need
  1. Calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com/),
  2. the deDRM plugin (https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools),
and also read this to learn how to download your books from Amazon:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
BooksGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Thank you that was great and quick.

Can I do the same with SCRIBD will i learn about it as I look through those links?
Old 01-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
BooksGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It would not allow me to edit. It only gives me a 5 min window. The addition to the question:

There are many free sites on the internet. However, "Books" don't always seem to work. People at mobileread are smarter than 90% of people on the internet so I am curious about scribd. Thank you!

(I was just trying to add a bit to my previous message).
Advert
Old 01-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksGuy View Post
It would not allow me to edit. It only gives me a 5 min window. The addition to the question:

There are many free sites on the internet. However, "Books" don't always seem to work. People at mobileread are smarter than 90% of people on the internet so I am curious about scribd. Thank you!

(I was just trying to add a bit to my previous message).
Sorry, I know nothing about Scribd, never used it. Someone else must answer that. I haven't read anything about backing up Scribd books here on MobileRead, while there's plenty of talk about Amazon and Kobo books. So I'd guess you need something else for Scribd, if there exists anything at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Aren't books from Scribd just a loan? You don't own those books, so you can't keep them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
BooksGuy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Aren't books from Scribd just a loan? You don't own those books, so you can't keep them.
I understand what you are saying and yes, I believe you are right. I did not think about it. I just assumed with my subscription they were mine.

Thank you for the quick reply! Not the answer I wanted. However, it makes sense! Thank you. Everyone answered all of my questions!
Old 01-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My understanding is it's some sort of library, but more complicated than that. Too complicated for me!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My understanding is it's some sort of library, but more complicated than that. Too complicated for me!
I spent some time looking through Scribd's FAQ. They seem to go out of their way to not really explain how it works. I looked in to it years ago, but lack of support for any e-ink devices made it a non starter for me.

But it is a borrowing program, you don't buy the books.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Scribd books cannot be piirated as far as I know. they are very well protected. Some files which Scribd class as a"documents" can be downloaded if the uploader sets that coneition. But not books, or sheet music, or any of their other categories.Those can only be viewed in browser or read in Scribd app. If that was cracked then all major publishers would pull their books from Scribd, and it would die

I suppose you could screen grab a book, one page at a time and then do something with the images but it would be way simpler and better to just buy the book. Sheet music is deliberately low resolution blurry to discourage screen grabbing.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Scribd categories are

Ebooks
Audiobooks
Magazines
Podcasts
Sheet Music
Documents

Ebooks, audiobooks, and sheet music are all protected and not downloadable

I have never used magazines or podcasts but i expect they have same protection.

" Documents "is a vast heap of rubbish. Because Scribd will lets people upload one document in order to get a download credit, for one document , without buying a subscription, people upload any old junk to qualify for that. Not a great business model.

I did have a free 30 day trial, but as soon as u cancel thecauto renew billing ,the trial ends. U lose what's left of your 30 days. Not nice.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Originally Scribd allowed unlimited borrows from a fairly good collection of books. I had a subscription back then. They changed it so that for the most desirable (major publisher) books you can now only borrow a very limited number per month. I dropped it after that changed.

From a Scribd help page:

Quote:
When it comes to reading, there’s no limit on the number of books or audiobooks that you can read or listen to each month. That being said, you may sometimes notice that a title you have saved indicates it will be “Available Soon”. Once your subscription renews for the next month, your library will refresh and you’ll be able to select from our full library once more. This balance helps us to ensure that authors are fairly compensated for all of their work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Originally Scribd allowed unlimited borrows from a fairly good collection of books. I had a subscription back then. They changed it so that for the most desirable (major publisher) books you can now only borrow a very limited number per month. I dropped it after that changed.

From a Scribd help page:
I remember reading about it on the old Amazon forums. The readers of romance/erotica novels were all up in arms because of the new limitations.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

on pc, the scribd reader app for ebooks is poor.
i have a standard 24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor. about a third of the screen is whitespace with just huge forward and back side to side arrows. and the only fonts are serif and sans serif. no margin or justification options.
makes a basic old-gen kindle look feature-rich in comparison.

but then again- overdrive is moving toward mobile apps only. no PC options. I noticed, last time I borrowed an audio book, that I can't listen to it at all via PC. i have to use mobile-only libby. Either they think that PC users are illiterate, or they are obsessed by security

Tags
amazon, download, manage, scribd