Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
monkeyclumps
monkeyclumps began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Suddenly Won't Convert Kindle Files

up until this morning, i've had no issues purchasing an amazon kindle book, opening it in my kindle for mac app and then importing it to calibre to convert. suddenly whenever i import into calibre, it's not reading the metadata or something, and the book/file name in calibre is the random numbers and letters assigned to the original kindle file. and if i try to convert, i get an error message. from what i see in the error message, the kindle book is a KFX format. i am running the most recent version of Calibre and DeDRM. Any help would be appreciated.

calibre, version 2.78.0 (darwin, embedded-python: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (B003B02PF4 EBOK)

Spoiler:
Convert book 1 of 1 (B003B02PF4 EBOK)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 2.78.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'docx_custom_page_size': None,
'docx_no_cover': False,
'docx_no_toc': False,
'docx_page_size': u'letter',
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x1112e9550>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 72.0,
'margin_left': 72.0,
'margin_right': 72.0,
'margin_top': 72.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.iPad3Output object at 0x1112e9b10>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'/var/folders/gg/g1ljds8j4_58401x695s30p40000gn/C/calibre_2.78.0_tmp_TNXTgt/8K39e0.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': False,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'transform_css_rules': '[]',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
Python function terminated unexpectedly: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on /var/folders/gg/g1ljds8j4_58401x695s30p40000gn/C/calibre_2.78.0_tmp_TNXTgt/L4dF4g.azw
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 154, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 114, in run_entry_point
return getattr(pmod, func)()
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 195, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 33, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 26, in gui_convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1065, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/mobi_input.py", line 34, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/reader/mobi6.py", line 79, in __init__

calibre.ebooks.mobi.reader.mobi6.KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-02-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spoiler tags
monkeyclumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No support for KFX format. See this thrad for info on what happened. NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) and Kindle for PC 1.19
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See Kindle producing azw files that no program can read

If you search for 'KFX' in the calibre forum you'll find that thread and several like it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Connyh
Connyh began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t2
I have that calibre/mobi problem on my paperwhite.
Only since last week.
I don't know what to do about it.
Connyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look at the links posted in this thread. You'll find that your Kindle Reader for PC has been upgraded to a version that downloads in KFX format. You need to downgrade it
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
stasey
stasey began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini, glo, glo hd
Hi Im new to this form and have been going through the posts about the kindle/calibre issue I am assuming my kindle for pc app updated to a new version resulting in the same issue someone said it would need to be downgraded I am not very techy. how is this possible
stasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasey View Post
...someone said it would need to be downgraded I am not very techy. how is this possible
See this thread for ways to deal with the Kindle for PC problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
stasey

ok so I am new here and had the same problem as you so I posted for help then I dug deeper. someone mentioned uninstalling kindle for pc and reinstalling the 17.1 version so I figured I would try and I was able to download a free kindle book and convert it .
Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
stasey

problem solved love this place thanks
Old 08-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
angipat84
angipat84 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
Same problem here

Quote:
problem solved love this place thanks
Hi! I have the same problem. Could you tell me what did you do?

Thank you!
angipat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by angipat84 View Post
Hi! I have the same problem. Could you tell me what did you do?

Thank you!
You've replied to a message from 2017 from someone who only has posted 3 messages. You won't be getting an answer.

You'll need to tell us what OS you are running and what version of Calibre and what the error message is. Give us as much detail as possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've replied to a message from 2017 from someone who only has posted 3 messages. You won't be getting an answer.

You'll need to tell us what OS you are running and what version of Calibre and what the error message is. Give us as much detail as possible.
Jon, the answer is already in this thread. To quote message #8 in this thread (the one immediately before the one @angipat84 replied to):

Quote:
ok so I am new here and had the same problem as you so I posted for help then I dug deeper. someone mentioned uninstalling kindle for pc and reinstalling the 17.1 version so I figured I would try and I was able to download a free kindle book and convert it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote