Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.25.15875

Firmware 4.25.15875 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reserved
Advert
Old 11-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Another month, another firmware version. This time it is 4.25.15875 which should go to all devices except the Mini.

The change that I know of in this release are:
  • Added a Traditional Chinese dictionary.
  • Add clear history in recent search.
  • In a kepub, tapping a highlight will display the menu for the highlight.
  • In a kepub, an icon is displayed in the margin for all annotations.
    • Tapping the icon displays the notes for the annotation in a popup.
    • You can delete the annotations, or tap the edit button to change it.
    • The icon is only displayed if the margins are wide enough to show it.
  • Logging has changed. The log file is now only produced when the "Save logs" option is used in the Developers options. And the file is now encrypted. The latter is for privacy when the log is supplied to Kobo through the support systems.
    Note: The file is never uploaded automatically. You need to get it from the device and send it to Kobo support when they request it.
  • Bug fixes, including:
    • Fix Forma and Libra H2O not sleeping after powering on with the cover closed.
    • Fix dictionary display in MyWords.
    • Handle PDFs with text before the signature. At the least, the problem reported here has been fixed. I don't have any others that I can test with.
    • Fix to in-book search when returning to full results. The list will now show.

calibre
Calibre has already been updated to support this firmware versions 4.25.x. This is in calibre 5.4.0 and later. For those running older versions of calibre, you can safely use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-10-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added some details
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
does anyone know if these have been fixed?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334546 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333673

thanks.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard

I haven't finished looking through this version yet, but one thing which might be interesting is [ReadingSettings] showNoteIndicators. Edit: I guess this is what davidfor was referring to above.

And, one thing important for people installing older mods or ones which touch /etc/inittab: the shutdown line has changed to new SIGSTOP nickel+sickel and fsck KOBOeReader in addition to the previous behaviour of unmounting all filesystems.

Quote:
Logging has changed. The log file is now only produced when the "Save logs" option is used in the Developers options. And the file is now encrypted. The latter is for privacy when the log is supplied to Kobo through the support systems.
Furthermore, the old dmesg and syslog dumps don't appear to be produced anymore (but I haven't actually checked it yet). But, when developer mode is enabled, the syslog is now available over port 5000 and 5001 (and if you want, like before, you can always access it directly over telnet or save it unencrypted with NickelMenu).

There's also some new stuff about verifying firmware update files, but I haven't looked at it in detail yet.

___

I will start working on the patches later tonight.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Advert
Old 11-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Another month, another firmware version.

(...)

calibre
Calibre has already been updated to support this firmware versions 4.25.x. This is in calibre 5.4.0 and later. For those running older versions of calibre, you can safely use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver.
You mean those of us that are still using Calibre 4.23 with "the" plugin not working on newer version of Calibre?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
The search problem has been fixed. I missed it in my list so I have added it.

For the counts, I don't think so, but, I haven't paid any attention to it.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
  • Added a Traditional Chinese dictionary.
Are there any details visible about which dictionary this is?

Thanks!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Are there any details visible about which dictionary this is?
I don't know. With the details of the other dictionaries, the About page has the following:

Quote:
Kobo Libra H2O provides the Dr.eye English Chinese monolingual dictionary ©2020, Inventec Corp./Inventec Besta Co., Ltd.
I assume that is it.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:41 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I haven't finished looking through this version yet, but one thing which might be interesting is [ReadingSettings] ShowNoteIndicators. Edit: I guess this is what davidfor was referring to above.
When the note icon was added, I wasn't impressed and expressed my opinion. Especially as there was no way to turn it off. Adding that must have been a late change as I hadn't detected it. It isn't in the settings screens, so it probably was a reaction to my comments.

Quote:
Furthermore, the old dmesg and syslog dumps don't appear to be produced anymore (but I haven't actually checked it yet).
That was the point of my statement about the logging changing. These are no longer produced automatically. And what is produced when you use "Save logs" is encrypted.
Quote:
But, when developer mode is enabled, the syslog is now available over port 5000 and 5001 (and if you want, like before, you can always access it directly over telnet or save it unencrypted with NickelMenu).
My understanding is that this has been there for a while, but was broken. It was fixed after I made comments about the logs no longer being available.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:42 AM   #11
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
The search problem has been fixed. I missed it in my list so I have added it.

For the counts, I don't think so, but, I haven't paid any attention to it.
thank you.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Perhaps an coincident but today my dictionary dicthtml-it-en.zip was also updated by Kobo.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.25.15875

Kobo firmware 4.25.15875 has been released. As of November 11, 2020, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Nia, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick Gaskin (geek1011). Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
You mean those of us that are still using Calibre 4.23 with "the" plugin not working on newer version of Calibre?
If you are using Windows, the best solution (IMHO) is to install 4.23 portable for use with DeDRM and 5.x as your main Calibre.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-11-2020 at 06:58 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Perhaps an coincident but today my dictionary dicthtml-it-en.zip was also updated by Kobo.
Yes, these 4 dictionaries updated when I connected one of my Kobos to Kobo Desktop today:
dicthtml-en-fr.zip
dicthtml-fr-en.zip
dicthtml-en-it.zip
dicthtml-it-en.zip
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release