Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Kindle/Kobo ebook sharing

With all the discussions about being able to strip this and that to allow books to be read on both Kindle or Kobo, I'm a bit confused. Can someone please clarify the issue for me.

My wife and I both have Kobo Touches and usually read the same books, bought on the same account, mostly from the Kobo site. My Touch has started to act up recently, so I'm considering buying a new ereader. I'd like to stick with Kobo (the Glo would be in my price and size range), but I much prefer the clarity and white/black contrast of the PW2 screen.

If I do buy a Kindle PW2 can we still share books bought on Kobo to the PW2, and vise-versa, can Amazon books be shared to the Kobo?

If yes, on either one, how would this be done?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The Kindle and Kobo use different DRM schemes to copy-protect their books, as well as different file formats (AZW from Amazon, and ePub from Kobo).

In order to transfer your books between the two different readers, you would have to remove the DRM (although some books are sold without it) and then convert the un-protected file format.

We can't discuss the 1st step in detail here on MR for potential legal liability reasons to protect the forum, but you can google for the words apprentice, alf, and tools for your answers to that.

Converting from ePub to AZW or vice versa is as easy as using Calibre (or KindleGen, if you want finer control over the AZW output), which has its own discussion forums here should you run into any problems.

For what it's worth, it's pretty easy to get Kobo books working on a Kindle, which is something I'd been doing for years before I finally got a Sony to read my ePubs on. I've never bothered to do it the other way around, but it's usually reasonably simple to download Kindle books and remove the DRM from them, which I almost always do before loading them onto my K2 out of habit.

Perhaps you might want to test things out by trying the process on a few freebie titles to see how convenient you find it?

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
cct1
Connoisseur
cct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trolls

Device: multiple
It's actually easy to do with calibre, the directions for the plug in aren't the greatest but once it's set up it works great. I had screen issues with the Voyage, and wanted to try an H20 but remain with the Amazon ecosystem. I got my kindle books on my Nook after some trial and error getting the plugin installed correctly, and it's so easy to use it's not much of a hassle to get the Amazon books on the device. I have the H20 on order now and will probably use the Amazon store exclusively.

I don't have prime unlimited, but I do have prime, I don't know if this will work with books from the lending library, but good books in the prime library are few and far between. The Prime unlimited library is another story.
cct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Intentionally stripping books from the Unlimited library is probably against the law as well. You haven't bought the book if you have access to the unlimited library, just the right of access to books that are able to be loaned out to youfor your own use.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
cct1
Connoisseur
cct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trolls

Same principle as a bought book--I'm just using it for my own use.
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cct1 View Post
Same principle as a bought book--I'm just using it for my own use.
No, it's not the same at all. You haven't bought the KU books; you only retain access to them as long as you're a KU member.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
It's actually easy to do with calibre, the directions for the plug in aren't the greatest but once it's set up it works great. I had screen issues with the Voyage, and wanted to try an H20 but remain with the Amazon ecosystem. I got my kindle books on my Nook after some trial and error getting the plugin installed correctly, and it's so easy to use it's not much of a hassle to get the Amazon books on the device. I have the H20 on order now and will probably use the Amazon store exclusively.

I don't have prime unlimited, but I do have prime, I don't know if this will work with books from the lending library, but good books in the prime library are few and far between. The Prime unlimited library is another story.
The Prime books, same as Kindle Unlimited are library books, you didn't buy them.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
cct1
Connoisseur

I rent them from Prime. They are not "free". I also would return them and delete them.

Same principle to me. I just want to read them on a different device, not find a way to keep them permanently. No different than reading a DRM on a nonsupported device. They are being used EXACTLY the same way as they would be on a Kindle.

In the end, if it's not doable, I'll continue to read my lending library books on my basic Kindle, it's not a deal breaker on the H20, it's only one book a month, and the lending library books are very hit or miss. Not being able to get purchased books from Amazon would've been a deal breaker.

Last edited by cct1; 11-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if you prefer to stay totally within the rules and not do any of the drm removal stuff....

all kindles registered to the same acccount can download copies of the same book. there may be some upper limit but it's higher than 2 ! ( prime may be an exception as it send the book to only one device, not to other kindle for XX apps. unlimited should work though as that is happy for the loans to go to any device on the account )

I am pretty sure that's also true for Kobo, for books bought from their store.
to use a kobo you have to sign in to an account. 2 or more devices can sign in to same account.
I have both an e-reader and a tablet signed into my (only) kobo account.

if the device is registered to the relevant account then it's allowed to download any/all books belonging to that account - it has to be that way otherwise how could you ever replace/upgrade devices.

you can also, at any time, unregister a kindle from account A and register it to account B. you then lose online access to book belonging to account A but gain access to books belonging to account B. I think the old books stay on device though, it's not something I've ever tested so cannot say for sure.

the only think you might have trouble with, if you are both reading the same book, is whisper sync "helpfully" updating last page read on each device. not sure if you can disable that at device level, though staying off line will do the trick!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I rent them from Prime. They are not "free". I also would return them and delete them.

Same principle to me. I just want to read them on a different device, not find a way to keep them permanently. ...
Prime lending is very well locked down. It was not at first, I was able to find a book on Kindle Fire & move it to Kindle for PC, but that trick no longer works. Prime is ONLY to kindle hardware, not to an kindle for xxx apps, & the books are tied to that device using a key that only the device knows but that is not visible to any "tools" .

One book per calendar month is such a limited deal compared to up to the unlimited ( = up to 10 at once on multiple devices ) that is is not worth getting stressed over. I doubt I will be renewing prime at the new higher prices, as I've watched the few things on Prime video that I thought were both worth watching and not also on netflix....

PS I did some limited sampling based on my own likes & concluded that anything available in Prime is also available in unlimited - YMMV

A good epub lending library ( with a Kobo reader) beats both, easily. I have a $50 per year overseas membership of Free Library of Philadelphia, as well as the free service from my local UK public library. Both are excellent, even though not all library book epubs are brilliantly formatted. FLP will lend up to 6 at once, with up to 10 holds in operation also, so you can queue for the really popular stuff.

Last edited by cybmole; 11-02-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
cct1
Connoisseur

I agree the kindle prime library isn't that big of a deal-I know prime is kindle only, but I wondered if there was a way to go backwards once the book is on the kindle. Probably not, and no big deal anyway.

Thanks for the info, I'd be very interested in a good subscription service/library I could read on my kobo, once it arrives!!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I agree the kindle prime library isn't that big of a deal-I know prime is kindle only, but I wondered if there was a way to go backwards once the book is on the kindle. Probably not, and no big deal anyway.

Thanks for the info, I'd be very interested in a good subscription service/library I could read on my kobo, once it arrives!!
You can read public library books on your Kobo, I believe, but I think that's it. Or am I mistaken, and there is some other subscription service that offers book in epub format?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You can read public library books on your Kobo, I believe, but I think that's it. Or am I mistaken, and there is some other subscription service that offers book in epub format?

Shari
1000s of public libraries offer free epub loans via the overdrive system, which is fully compatible with kobo.
Google overdrive or get the free app, put in your location....http://app.overdrive.com/
Why would you need some other subscription service
You can sign up from out of state for some of the best ones for a small annual fee
https://www.overdrive.com/libraries

Last edited by cybmole; 11-02-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
cct1
Connoisseur

I'll check it out. I'm actually fine paying for a subscription, provided the authors get a cut, and there are high quality titles available. I'll check the ePub libraries though, that looks like another good source of legitimate ebooks.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's not the same at all. You haven't bought the KU books; you only retain access to them as long as you're a KU member.
Which is why I said removing the DRM from them like some do with books that they purchase would probably be against the law. A person could argue that making a backup of books that they own shouldn't be illegal but intentionally making one of a book they borrow via KU doesn't fall under that same purview I'd think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote