Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
llinfeng
Enthusiast
llinfeng is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kindles, Sony DPTs, QQ-Read
Texts on the right-most page were chewed off [multiple pages in paged mode]

In the viewer, I set 2 "pages" for a "Portrait" monitor and 3 "pages" for a monitor in landscape mode. While the 2 pages per screen (monitor) works fine, the texts on the right-most page were chopped off by a few characters when I move the Viewer to a monitor in portrait mode.

With 3 "pages" in the Viewer, as I step through pages in a chapter, more and more characters are chopped off. Usually, when I am half way through a chapter, I will start to miss characters from the right-most page, like below:

If I keep going deeper into a chapter, the pages were shifted so that "a new column" may show up on the left, like below:

I found two older posts (post1, post2), but neither helped. Changing the font did not help at all, and changing the styles made more texts hidden.

For now, the only thing that worked is to turn on the Bookmark panel inside the viewer. The new panel for booksmarks shall take up some additional space, but corrects for all the missing characters on the right-margin of the right-most page. Hiding the bookmarks should instantly undo the fix, leaving right-most characters hidden.

I wonder if a new release can fix the issue.
llinfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will be caused by some non-reflowable markup in the books you are reading, three columns make the individual columns too narrow. Stick to two.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2021, 02:40 AM   #3
llinfeng
Enthusiast

Three columns are just fine for 16:9/16:10 monitors in landscape mode. 2 columns shall leave a line too wide for me to finish reading one "line" at a time. @kovidgoyal, I see this more as a bug report. Feel free to direct me to Github if it helps.

For the TOC/bookmark trick to work, I find it necessary to leave the "maximum screen area" untouched (under Preference/Page Layout).

Given the complicated interplay of settings, I wonder what makes 3 columns special. Here are a bit more of the complications: With the same book, under a restricted "maximum screen area" with a fixed width, 2, 4 or 5 columns are rendered without a problem. The right-margin will be cropped off with 3 columns regardless of whether the TOC panel is visible or not. I'll need to undo all restrictions for the "maximum screen area" to get the TOC trick to work with the 3-column page view. (Calibre version 5.16).
Old 05-14-2021, 04:50 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/

Click Bugs

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
llinfeng
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointer. I created a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1929238
Advert

Tags
margins, viewer