Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #841
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Full disclosure: I run the bouncer script so that I can have a password prompt on boot up (this was before the Nickel PIN but I kept it anyways later on) so that might have messed things up, but for fun, I decided to boot into koreader and use its terminal emulator to manually launch /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh, and it seemed to work (well, it booted me to the KSM password prompt anyway), but it appeared that I didn't have touch (or at least, nothing on screen was updating).
If your KOReader happened to be older than 2020.10 then it would've grabbed the input, a vestigial remnant from ye olde Kindle days.

Edit: cf. https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/6705
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #842
cgirerd
cgirerd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi all, I am still a happy user of KSM 9. I updated Nickel to 4.25 (November build) and lost KSM at startup, had to downgrade Nickel and run the KSM 9 restore utility, and all is good now, I am quite happy with my current setup. I might move to KFMon or NickelMenu at some point if KSM leads to too many inconveniences for me, but for now I still like it a lot, particularly the fact that there is no need to launch Nickel at all to launch any other app like KOReader. One question that I have is that I saw some screenshot in this thread of people who seem to have plato and vlasovsoft entries in their KSM menu. I would like to install them and discover the experience they offer, but all the tutorials I find seem to be for KFMon or NickelMenu. Do you have any recommended method to install them with KSM, or is it even possible now? Thanks in advance for any advice you could give
cgirerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:33 AM   #843
cgirerd

Can't manage to edit my previous post, so writing a new one. I managed to install vlasovsoft, but I'm still wondering if it is possible to install plato as well, with KSM 09.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #844
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Just copy their directory into .adds directory, that's it, just like for koreader.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #845
cgirerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Just copy their directory into .adds directory, that's it, just like for koreader.
I am actually a little bit worried because the one build I managed to find for plato is the one click install version located here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220, and I found these comments in the one click install thread concerning KSM 09, which apparently had to be uninstalled for the build to work: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...SM#post4030442. Is there anything I missed?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #846
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Use the Source, Luke.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #847
cgirerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ah ok, so it should be compiled from the sources? I thought there would be a more convenient way to install it with builds already available for users with little knowledge in compilation stuff. Thanks for the info, will give it a shot!
Old 12-08-2020, 05:26 AM   #848
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I think NiLuJe phrased that a bit confusingly, but in this case I'm fairly certain he means the origin, not the source code itself.

Compiled executables here: https://github.com/baskerville/plato/releases
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #849
cgirerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I think NiLuJe phrased that a bit confusingly, but in this case I'm fairly certain he means the origin, not the source code itself.

Compiled executables here: https://github.com/baskerville/plato/releases
Ah thank you very much, I misunderstood then and missed these builds. I could install plato successfully with these executables. Thanks to all of you for your help!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #850
Mel-kior
Mel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
After some tries I managed to get KSM starting on fw v4.25 !
Some change in rcS did the trick.

Here are the fixed rcS in KoboRoot.tgz files, I did 2 versions because they don’t have same rcS ( no input possible in KSM if the wrong is applied ).
I tested only on aura H2o v1 but it should work on ( some ? ) other devices.

Last edited by Mel-kior; 01-15-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Mel-kior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #851
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
According to @NiLuJe Nickel does some fiddling with the hardware that should be done before killing Nickel and running other software. So can KSM be used to run KOReader after Nickel has run?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #852
Mel-kior
Mel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
I didn’t have problem doing so on my H2o, so you probably can with yours too.
But for latest device this may not be the same.
Mel-kior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #853
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-kior View Post
I didn’t have problem doing so on my H2o, so you probably can with yours too.
But for latest device this may not be the same.
I cannot say which devices may benefit from the low level initialization done by Nickel. So in order to help everyone, it's best not to boot into KOReader without first running Nickel.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #854
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Have you considered that if you are running the KOReader program, you are not using any running Nickel process? Even those launchers that start from the Nickel UI go to great pains to shut down Nickel related processes. KOReader runs fine on my Kobos without Nickel as do Plato, Coolreader/Fbchess, Frotz, and whatever else I may decide to add. The underlying Linux OS provides what is needed for these other programs just as it does for Nickel.

What I find most telling is your "So in order to help everyone" assertion. How can you think that "everyone" would be helped when you "cannot say which devices may benefit "? Why should everyone conform to your view of how things should work?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #855
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Have you considered that if you are running the KOReader program, you are not using any running Nickel process? Even those launchers that start from the Nickel UI go to great pains to shut down Nickel related processes. KOReader runs fine on my Kobos without Nickel as do Plato, Coolreader/Fbchess, Frotz, and whatever else I may decide to add. The underlying Linux OS provides what is needed for these other programs just as it does for Nickel.

What I find most telling is your "So in order to help everyone" assertion. How can you think that "everyone" would be helped when you "cannot say which devices may benefit "? Why should everyone conform to your view of how things should work?

Luck;
Ken
This is not my opinion. It's written by someone who knows a lot more about the working of the hardware/software then we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that there are various little low-level things that may only behave properly if Nickel has been started at least once in that power cycle.

The most visible example we have right now would be rotation events on the Forma, but I'm fairly sure there's a few power-management related things at play, too...