Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Danlucio
Danlucio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Can't see ebooks downloaded by wifi on stock Kobo reader

Sorry if this question sounds like newbie stuff but I really am. I am using a good old Kobo Glo and recently installed the wonderful Koreader. When I start a Caliber content server and download it from the standard Kobo browser I can see the book downloaded through the stock Kobo software. When I download a book using the Koreader SSH server or even the Caliber companion plugin, The book is downloaded normally and I can see it through KOreader, but I don't see it through standard Kobo software. Any idea? Firmware 4.18.13137 (30/09/19)
Danlucio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Depends first of all on where you put it (you should be preventing Nickel from scanning hidden folders on that FW version, for instance), and then on how you're expecting Nickel to figure out there's new content (it will not sideload new stuff unless an USBMS session is triggered), so if you're just exiting from KOReader to Nickel, or even rebooting the device, Nickel won't see it.

(I'm actually mildly intrigued that stuff downloaded via the browser gets picked up. Might be worth looking into for interested parties).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-15-2019 at 10:45 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
Danlucio

Thanks for the help.
I've installed KOreader via the one-click installer script (it claims to prevent Nickel from scanning hidden folders, is that enough?). As for where I put the ebooks, the answer is: Through SSH (FSSH Filezilla) I put the ebooks in the "mnt / onboard" directory and through Caliber Companion in a folder called "Caliber" in "mnt / onboard /Caliber". Like you said, leaving KOreader for Nickel results in you not being able to see the downloaded ebooks, but if you plug in a USB cable and then securely unplug it, all of these ebooks appear in the standard Kobo reader regardless of the folder they are.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, that's the expected behavior.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
Danlucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, that's the expected behavior.
So, there is no way to deal with it? Even if it was through an cheating software to trick the device into deceiving it that usb cable was plugged in and then unplugged
Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
There are some workarounds if you search the forums, more likely these than the KOReader forums though. I think it might've even been bundled with KSM in the past, but if it was removed I'm sure it wasn't just to spite people.

Edit: but as far as discussion goes I was thinking of this topic in particular.

Last edited by Frenzie; 11-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, sure, you can now fake an USBMS session without any actual user interaction.

c.f., UNCaGED for a similar (albeit slightly more complex) use-case.

For your use-case, something as simple as

Code:
echo "usb plug add" >> /tmp/nickel-hardware-status
button_scan -pu
Would probably do.

(See FBInk for button_scan binaries).

You could then arguably stick that in a shell script triggered via a KFMon icon, and it becomes computerless. Not painless, because the fake USBMS session takes time, but, that's currently the best we can do.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-16-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed the button_scan flags
Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you have an SD card slot, there are also slightly speedier, but potentially much hackier workarounds possible, since an SD card insert event will also trigger a live scan *of the sdcard mountpoint*.

I think that approach is discussed in the thread @Frenzie linked to.

(And I think some hacks use that with bind-mounts from hidden folders in the main storage, for instance).