Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
goldie
goldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Can't get Calibre to run

I just installed the latest Calibre version (for Windows) and at the end when it launches I get "Python function terminated unexpectedly (2, 'No such file or directory') (Error code:1)".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried restarting the computer after installation, tried installing from different sources on the web, tried running as Administator...nothing works. I always get the same message.

Looks like amazing software to use with my Kindle, but I wish I could get it working!!! Can anyone help?
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
uninstall, delete c:\Program Files\calibre and c:\Program Files\calibre2. Reboot. Re-install
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
goldie
goldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheese

I tried what you recommended, then reinstalled, this time even into my c:\Program Files rather than into c:\Program Files (x86) (I have both on my Windows 7) and when I looked after installation ended, the files were in the (x86) directory anyway, and I still get the same exact error message when I try to launch the program.

I don't understand computer matters much, so sorry if my comments sound stupid. Any other ideas?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, the most common cause of that error is two conflicting calibre installs. So the idea is to make sure you have properly uninstalled both installs before re-installing.

Try searching your computer for the file calibre.exe after uninstalling to make sure it isn't around in some other folder.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
goldie

I did check and there were no elements of calibre left behind. But that doesn't explain why I got this same error message the very first time I installed calibre, having never installed it before on this computer (which is new, by the way). Doesn't the message "no such file or directory" indicate that something is missing ? I still can't get it to work.
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can get more information about the underlying error by runnig the followinf command in a command prompt:

calibre-debug -g

and post the output
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
goldie

This is what I get (below). Am I doing it wrong?

C:\Windows\system32>calibre-debug -g
'calibre-debug' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>calibre-debug-g
'calibre-debug-g' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Change to the directory in which you installed calibre before running that command. SO if you installed it to

c:\Program Files\calibre2

do this first

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\calibre2"
calibre-debug -g
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
goldie

C:\Windows\system32>cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\calibre2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>calibre-debug -g
Python function terminated unexpectedly
(2, 'No such file or directory') (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 155, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\meta.py", line 11, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 14, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\builtins.py", line 406, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\comic\input.py", line 16, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\server.py", line 17, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\launch.py", line 17, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'nul'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The NUL file (a special file calibre uses) is missing on your system. WHat version of windows is this?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
goldie

It's Windows 7. Have you come across this problem before? I bought this computer just a couple of months ago and am a medical doctor, so don't have the knowledge to fool around with computers when I get them, so it is in the state I bought it.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Strange, I've only ever heard of it happening in older XP versions. I'm afraid you're going to have to wit for someone with more windows knowledge to tell you how to restore that file (calibre cannot work without it).
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
goldie

What are my chances on this forum? I was really looking forward to trying out your software....I love books and it appears that calibre has great potential!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Bring up Device Manager. Easiest way is to rght-click My Computer, select Properties and then select Device Manager from the left hand pane.

When Device manager is running select View->Show Hidden Devices.

Now look at the non-plug and Play Drivers. The NULL device should show up there. If you right-click on it and select Properties does it say that the device is working properly?

If it is not then at least we will know what the problem area is.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
goldie

Thanks. I followed your instructions and it says:

"This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device."

After I clicked Enable it told "Windows was not able to enable this device."

Any solution?