Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
xxmeelonxx
xxmeelonxx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Could someone proof read by work?

Could you private message me for someone to proof read work.
xxmeelonxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
AdamJ
Enthusiast
AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just had send.. Check your inbox.
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Sure ~

I think you meant 'my' not 'by'. There!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Sure ~

I think you meant 'my' not 'by'. There!

...unless he had a cold.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are test to speech programs that can help with editing. It reads the book aloud while the author reads along silently It's helpful for catching a lot of different problems. I'm on a chrome book so I use Read and Write for Google. But there are other programs, too. I think you could easily find several with a search. Hope that helps.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
There are test to speech programs that can help with editing. It reads the book aloud while the author reads along silently It's helpful for catching a lot of different problems. I'm on a chrome book so I use Read and Write for Google. But there are other programs, too. I think you could easily find several with a search. Hope that helps.
That's no use if, like this author, your problem is that you simply have no understanding of how to write grammatically correct English. What he needs isn't a proof-reader, it's an editor.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-22-2015 at 03:41 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's no use if, like this author, your problem is that you simply have no understanding of how to write grammatically correct English. What he needs isn't a proof-reader, it's an editor.
Sorry, I hadn't read any of his work.

Edited to add that I didn't mean to offend.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at this thread and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261074

Someone who writes like that needs an awful lot more than a proof-reader!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Look at this thread and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261074

Someone who writes like that needs an awful lot more than a proof-reader!
You can relax a lot of the granny rules when you's doing it with a first person, yeah? Long as it's consistent and shit.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
You can relax a lot of the granny rules when you's doing it with a first person, yeah? Long as it's consistent and shit.
Depends. Certainly you can (and, in fact, "should", not just "can") make people speak realistically, and not like a grammar textbook, in dialogue. (Although I do personally speak like a grammar textbook ). But you still need to make sure that you have apostrophes in the correct places, and all that sort of thing. Unfortunately this seems to be an area that a lot of people make mistakes with, as is all too evident when reading posts on MR.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-24-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
as is all too evident when reading posts on MR.
I'm a lot more forgiving of posts on MobileRead than a commercial book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm a lot more forgiving of posts on MobileRead than a commercial book.
Oh, absolutely; it wasn't meant as a criticism. All I meant is that there are a lot of posters here who are obviously highly literate, but still don't know the difference between "its" and "it's", for example.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Oh, absolutely; it wasn't meant as a criticism. All I meant is that there are a lot of posters here who are obviously highly literate, but still don't know the difference between "its" and "it's", for example.
I do a lot of proofreading, and very few writers seem to know how to use an apostrophe. Even some of the better known ones with "real" publishers, but I won't name any of them. When you see their work in print (or on a screen) you're seeing it filtered through lots of different people.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I might make the suggestion that a non-English speaker determined to publish something in English might want to try to compose the work in his native tongue, and then find a (qualified, human) translator, rather than publishing something that amounts to, in essence, ESL practice.
That would likely be better for everyone, and educational to boot.

And to Harry:
1. I suspect most of us know the difference between it's and its, even if we often type wrong one and don't proof own posts!
2. You were the model for the character of Indiana Jones' father, weren't you!

Last edited by ApK; 06-24-2015 at 01:39 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
"Hmm... that last sentence ... hmm?" I find myself wondering, "Exactly how did the writer intend us to interpret it?"
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote