Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #1351
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In that case, you might want to read my post about the UI standards used in the firmware.
Great! Very informative! Thanks davidfor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'll second this one. I'd like to see a compact mode with one line per book and double or triple the number of books listed on the screen now.
Yes! This is what Kobo people can do, or our great hackers can think about.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #1352
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And since they are coming out with a larger screen device (with more room for UI), how about adding a way to jump to a letter in the library (put an A-Z down the right side where a letter can be clicked on to jump to it)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #1353
Phyllis41
Wizardess
Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phyllis41 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Galaxy Note 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And since they are coming out with a larger screen device (with more room for UI), how about adding a way to jump to a letter in the library (put an A-Z down the right side where a letter can be clicked on to jump to it)?
Yet another great idea for the developers!
Phyllis41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #1354
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Letters down side is good idea.
What I do now is find book title in Calibre then search for that title or auhor in Kobo Reader's library. This always quickly finds the book. Why not adapt commonly used for centuries methods to new tech like ereaders. When I open a dictionary looking for a word top of left page corner has first listed word on that page and top right page corner has last listed word on that page. I can use thumb to fan through top page corners of dictionary pages looking at these corner words to quickly find desired word definition. When I do equivalent search in Kobo Reader Book Library using the slider all I see is page numbers in pop up box for location as long as finger is on the slider. Only when I remove finger from slider do I see what is on the that page. What I should see while finger is on the library slider is book Title or Author at top of each library page (maybe also page number) in a pop up box because nobody searches for library page number.

I just noticed my Kobo Touch reader firmware was updated to 3-19-5761 12/29/15 with much better library search function that is good enough for my use.

Last edited by filmo; 05-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #1355
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Having a letter index for categories would be wonderful if, say, there are more than 3 pages of categories.

While we're talking about features it'd be nice to have, I'd like to be able to tap on the page number in an epub and have it let me key in the page number!!!
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #1356
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Having a letter index for categories would be wonderful if, say, there are more than 3 pages of categories.

While we're talking about features it'd be nice to have, I'd like to be able to tap on the page number in an epub and have it let me key in the page number!!!
I said something similar years ago. My suggestion was to use a number pad on the touchscreen to key in numbers, for a quick "go to page."
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #1357
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada
Dchiplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma & Aura One & iPad Mini Retina
Searchin

Throwing my vote in for improving library search results - more items per page in list view, and jump to a letter.

I would also love it if I could default search to "library" versus "bookstore".

And to be able to clear previous searches!!!
Dchiplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #1358
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post
If you use the Kobo Patcher, one of the patches does exactly that.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #1359
Dchiplin
deb_oh_canada
Dchiplin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma & Aura One & iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I was not aware and will take a look. Thanks very much for your response!!!
Dchiplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 AM   #1360
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiplin View Post

And to be able to clear previous searches!!!

That would be great, and needed IMO (with an option to set or change default search in the settings menu).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sounds nice, even though it would be better not to need to patch the device for such minimal change. I don't find this patch, could someone bring me to the right post?

Thanks
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #1361
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
PDF on the one need to be improved. It's frutrasting to have a good hardware mostly unusable becasue of the software.

Mainly.

I zoom in, center the page. Then, turn the page. It goes to the left top corner, i need it to stay centred. (ie, cut the pdf margins). An option would help there.
And performance is poor, even compared to the H2O.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #1362
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Yeah. A real pdf reader (or the ability to easily install another reader and to run it from within nickel rather than the default pdf reader) would really be needed.

Other suggestions: ability to set automatic power off from within the default interface after more than 60 minutes (at least up to 4 hours) as well the ability to disable the big bottom margin easily would both be really nice.

Last edited by datanoise; 09-01-2016 at 04:15 PM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #1363
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
Other suggestions: ability to set automatic power off from within the default interface after more than 60 minutes (at least up to 4 hours) as well the ability to disable the big bottom margin easily would both be really nice.
Thanks to GeoffR and his patches, we have already the solution for this and many more as well.
If you don't want to wait for ages for the developers of Kobo to take some action, then you must patch this damn firmware!

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #1364
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
If you don't want to wait for ages for the developers of Kobo to take some action, then you must patch this damn firmware!
While making that statement, don't forget that Kobo have probably already acted on the suggestion. It is very likely they looked at it and decided not to do anything. Or it is sitting in their list of future enhancements and will be done when all the things they consider to be more important have been done.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #1365
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
While making that statement, don't forget that Kobo have probably already acted on the suggestion. It is very likely they looked at it and decided not to do anything. Or it is sitting in their list of future enhancements and will be done when all the things they consider to be more important have been done.
I think you're right, davidfor and I have no doubt about this.
They do improvements under the hood of firmwares and, surely, they keep priorities that have be done. Kobo's priorities are the bug and issues elimination and ours to see some visual improvements in reading experience.
Those things that separate the devs and users desires.

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo