Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #121
sommer78
sommer78 began at the beginning.

Device: none
But I cannot enter iLiad OS space.
sommer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #122
crepi22
crepi22 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Other than the additional root file space (which isn't really necessary IMO), for what reason do you want to run the OS from a CF card instead of the root file system?
If we want to use a 2.6 kernel (and there are good reason for using one) I do not see how we can handle the DiskOnChip G3 (see here for exact description of the components.

I am afraid that the MTD driver for DOC 2000 or millenium cannot handle these. But I am not an MTD expert. Furthermore we cannot change everything because the bootloader expects a TFFS filesystem to boot from.

The TFFS driver is closed for 2.4 and only for a given version of GCC...
Sandisk has announced the end of life of DOC G3 in 2005 pdf version (yeah before the Iliad was released ! Thanks Irex !)

There is a GPL driver from Sandisk but only for the newer H3 family. It has a processor on board that handles the TrueFFS part and the driver only talks to the processor. So we are left on our own with our outdated component. The only solutions I see are:
  • A ndiswrapper approach for a 2.4 linux driver (???)
  • Complete reverse engineering of the driver (authorized in some juridiction) + development of a new driver that does not infringe TrueFFS patents probably using parts of other mtd drivers...

I would be very happy if somebody could prove me that I am wrong.
crepi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #123
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by crepi22 View Post
If we want to use a 2.6 kernel (and there are good reason for using one) I do not see how we can handle the DiskOnChip G3 (see here for exact description of the components.

I am afraid that the MTD driver for DOC 2000 or millenium cannot handle these. But I am not an MTD expert. Furthermore we cannot change everything because the bootloader expects a TFFS filesystem to boot from.
Wow, that link to the iSupply component breakdown of the iliad is superb. Thanks.

So, we would not have access to the contents of the DiskOnChip once booted in kernel 2.6, but the kernel and initrd can be housed inside the DiskOnChip with its TFFS filesystem. Is that so?

The only problem would be upgrading those files residing in the TFFS as we would have to boot into 2.4 to do the upgrade (using kexec? Or leaving a minimal system in the 2.4 TFFS and only boot/use that for updates/upgrades?).

I would favor having the minimal system in the TFFS with 2.4 and using that to do the upgrades, and using a CF card for the OS for normal booting. But if I'm not mistaken, that forces the usage of kexec (nalim did that work already, that works now) and that adds seconds to an already lengthy boot. Any thoughts?
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #124
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Strange error ??? with loading beta 3

I attempted to load beta 3 on my iLiad v1. I added the correct files to the images folder on my reflash CF card. and I added backup.sh to the root.

I placed the 2 gig card in my iliad and ran the backup.sh. it ran for a while and got all the files that I needed.

I then reflashed the iLiad. That went well and appeared to load. On reboot the screen was black and the activity light continued. This lasted for a few minutes I believe.

This freaked me out and I reflashed back to 2.10 and then upgraded back to 2.12.

Is this normal behavoir? is it running something after the reflash first reboot as a scripted process?
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #125
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlKid38 View Post
Is this normal behavoir? is it running something after the reflash first reboot as a scripted process?
Exactly. I think I said at some point the first boot will be quite slow because it is restoring the mobipocket reader backup and running a few other tasks.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #126
KewlKid38

Quote:
Exactly. I think I said at some point the first boot will be quite slow because it is restoring the mobipocket reader backup and running a few other tasks.
Ok I'm going to try again when I get some more time. I'll remove the Restore.sh from the compactflash card because this is not needed to automate that process.

Can you give me a heads up to how long it took you?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #127
KewlKid38

I attempted the Reflash last night. I started it and plugged in my iLiad and decided to let it finish.

I woke up this morning and the green light was still flashing and it screen was still black with the options at the bottom like before.

I really don't think it should take this long. Should the config.txt file be set to Format? I didn't format the system but I could. Also I noticed there was nothing in my Share folder on my backup CF before I did this reflash. Is the backup.sh file correct for the beta 3?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #128
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

The green light should only flash for a few minutes (maximum 3 or 4) when it's done flashing.

That's odd that it's not finishing the first boot process. I may have to setup the next beta to output a log to the CF card.

Can you ssh into your iLiad once it's at that black screen?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #129
KewlKid38

No I can't see it on my network anywhere.

I look into the router to see if it's there.

I'm going to reflash and format. and try again tomorrow with a formated CF card. Maybe it's the card or something. I'll do the back up again.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #130
KewlKid38

QUOTE=Adam B.;467181]The green light should only flash for a few minutes (maximum 3 or 4) when it's done flashing.

That's odd that it's not finishing the first boot process. I may have to setup the next beta to output a log to the CF card.

Can you ssh into your iLiad once it's at that black screen?[/QUOTE]

I reflashed and found the logfile on the cf card. It appears everything is ok. I'm going to look at the backup and maybe try that again.

Code:
Flash kernel:
Integrity check on kernel:ok.
Flash the kernel:
-- Kernel flashed OK --
Flash initrd:
Integrity check on initrd:ok.
Flash the initrd:
-- Initrd flashed OK --
Flash application filesystem:
Integrity check on app.image.gz:
ok.
Flash the filesystem:
-- Filesystem flashed OK --
I checked the Backup folder.

In the intent folder there is a folder called ROOTDIR.
and that folder is 1.5 GIGs and the back files continue to mirror the same files in the intent folder with another RootDIR and it continues for 1.5 gigs.

Last edited by KewlKid38; 05-22-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Adding Information.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #131
KewlKid38

Done with out errors. I removed the mmc card that I keep in the system for applications.

this time it worked.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #132
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Odd. I'm glad it worked. I haven't tested flashing with an mmc card inserted. I don't know how that could cause issues, however.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #133
KewlKid38

Quote:
Odd. I'm glad it worked. I haven't tested flashing with an mmc card inserted. I don't know how that could cause issues, however.
I placed all the applications on the MMC card because it is the smallest of the 2 storage media on the device. So I figured i could put the one gig to good use by making it application storage.

So it could have been anything that caused the bad back up and restore.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #134
sinman
sinman began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hello, i don't post long time ago. But later days i began to read again about iliad. An i'm very happy with the release of source code.

Well there is an important question, and i think that has high priority for iliados. Does the (linux) swsuspend work??

If you can suspend to ram, inside ipdf for example, 5 seconds after re-draw the screen this will upgrade battery duration too long :O

The worst of iliad is battery duration, i think this is caused by never suspend cpu like other readers so always CPU is at 100% freq and all components working. Is wi-fi chipset off when you aren't using wi-fi?
sinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #135
IJnstijn_II
IJnstijn_II began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad, want DR1000
Hi all,

I'm very excited about this project. This is a real treat for the ILiad owner. I am looking forward to version 2.13, and I am installing the Bèta 3 right now.

Thumbs up for this project!

IJsbrand Schipperus
IJnstijn_II is offline   Reply With Quote