Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #106
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Spoke to someone at BN support, they did not say that the Glowlight Plus was not capable of loading public library books. The issue with ADE is "known and already escalated".
I should hope so. BN have done some very stupid things with the Nook brand over the years, but preventing public library book from sideloading really would be the biggest clanger.

I was pretty excited about this latest release but after reading about sideloading problems, I'm going to consider alternatives. Checked out the PW3 at Staples a couple of days ago and will go to an independent bookstore to check out a Kobo this afternoon. I'm not keen on Nook moving to MTP as a library user, I really loved the ease of dealing with the Nook as simply another drive on my computer.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But once Calibre is working to side load, then you can drop your library ePub into Calibre to load onto the Nook. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #108
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This should do the trick (hard to be sure since I dont have the device to test with). https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...0ad14723ff57ee

If you can run calibre from source (instructions are in the user manual) you can try it out now, otherwise you will have to wait for me to get around to making a new build.
Thank you for the help Kovid. It's really appreciated.
I have tried it. It doesn't really work. This whole MTP implementation in the NGP seems flaky.

1) First Calibre comes up and happy recognizes the NGP (meaning no exception is shown).
However looking at the mounted disk it seems it puts the files outside of the NOOK (although the code changes suggest that it tries to put them inside NOOK dir)

Internal storage>
drwxr-xr-x 5 dan dan 0 Oct 9 20:56 NOOK
-rw-r--r-- 1 dan dan 14452 Oct 24 18:58 metadata.calibre
-rw-r--r-- 1 dan dan 256 Oct 24 18:58 driveinfo.calibre

2) then, if I just kill and then start Calibre again it shows the following error, although the context is pretty much the same.

calibre, version 2.41.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to upload file named: NOOK/driveinfo.calibre to (u'Internal storage',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 503, in _books
File "/home/dan/apps/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 211, in books
self.get_driveinfo() # Ensure driveinfo is loaded
File "/home/dan/apps/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 183, in get_driveinfo
self._update_drive_info(self.filesystem_cache.stor age(sid), location_code)
File "/home/dan/apps/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 173, in _update_drive_info
self.put_file(storage, self.calibre_file_paths['driveinfo'], BytesIO(raw), len(raw))
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 24, in synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 375, in put_file
DeviceError: Failed to upload file named: NOOK/driveinfo.calibre to (u'Internal storage',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

3) Other observations (about the flaky nature of NGP's MTP implementation):

- I cannot have the GNP jmtpfs mounted and Calibre up at the same time
- if the reader goes idle and it shows the screensaver it seems that it terminates the link to the PC
- when I'm just playing w/ the mounted area, sometimes I get input/output errors and the disk is not reachable anymore
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #109
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But once Calibre is working to side load, then you can drop your library ePub into Calibre to load onto the Nook. Problem solved.
Only DRM free ebooks. And at that point it's easy to load ebooks on to the Nook, both Mac and Windows will see the device, you just need AFT to transfer ebooks if you're using a Mac.

I'll grant Calibre is more useful for overall library management, though Nook users see less of the perks than Kobo users, and possibly others.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #110
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@dnastase: Sorry, my fault, there was a bug in the patch -- perils of writing driver code without an actual device to test on

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...907067d3eb2af6

Try it again, hopefully this time we will get further.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #111
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@dnastase: Sorry, my fault, there was a bug in the patch -- perils of writing driver code without an actual device to test on

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...907067d3eb2af6

Try it again, hopefully this time we will get further.
Seems to be working now !

It recognizes the NGP just fine, no exceptions/errors and I can send books to it, everything seems to be working normally.

Thank you !!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #112
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
You guys are awesome!

The conversation is mostly over my head so I'll wait until the next Calibre update is released (and possibly for the instructions for dummies) before I try it out.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #113
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You might like it then. It feels like having a skin around the edge except it also has tiny textured bumps.
They may be just bumps but to me they feel awfully like fish scales.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #114
dnastase
Addict

One thing that I noticed is that the touch screen seems to be less sensitive than the Nook Glowlight. Which is counter intuitive since they moved to the capacitive screen which is supposed to be more sensitive, not less. But I definitely notice a difference.
Maybe it's the extra anti-glare coating ... or some waterproofing layer ... ?!
Old 10-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #115
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I have not noticed a difference in sensitivity. I also like the grippy front layer... One thing that I've not seen is that the aluminum back attracts no fingerprints. As a person who doesn't use covers, that's a nice feature.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #116
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
From the couple of times I've been in the store, I thought the sensitivity was a bit off too.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #117
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
From the couple of times I've been in the store, I thought the sensitivity was a bit off too.
I noticed this as well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #118
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
My MacBook does not even recognize this device. I connected other devices and had no problems. Also ADE doesn't recognize it. I don't use calibre. Is there another way to work around this? I have tons of books I can't sideload.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #119
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Well, I decided to buy one. I have a MacBook Pro. I tried connecting my new Nook to my Mac. At first, Android File Transfer popped up like it should. I tried to transfer a file from my Mac to my Nook, but the Nook window in Android File Transfer wouldn't take it (very odd). Then, the next time I connected my Nook to my Mac, Android File Transfer didn't come up. When I started it up, it asked me to connect an Android device by USB cable. So, my Mac can't "see" my Nook at all now. I tried resetting my Nook and still no go. Any suggestions?

Edit: My Nook now is "seen" by my Mac. Not sure why! Android File Transfer can see it. I can transfer books that way, but I cannot create new folders on the Nook through Android File Transfer.

Then, I started playing with Calibre. I got the same "failure to communicate" message when I first connected my Nook to Calibre. However, after a little while, I used the "configure device" feature in Calibre to tell Calibre where to send books. Then I tried sending books. Calibre could not see the books on my Nook, and they didn't show up on my Nook. But then, a few minutes later, they showed up in my Nook library. The next book I sent showed up immediately in my Nook library. But Calibre can't see the books on my Nook. That's where the communication glitch seems to be.

I have a MacBook pro as well, what did you do to get your Mac to recognize the device? Mine doesn't even recognize it.
ADE doesn't either .
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #120
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I have a MacBook pro as well, what did you do to get your Mac to recognize the device? Mine doesn't even recognize it.
ADE doesn't either .
You need to download Android File Transfer from the Android website. It is a free program. Then when you plug in the Nook by USB the program auto-launches and opens the NOOK directory. Then you can drag and drop books into this program window from the Finder window. They have to be DRM-free.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote