Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #106
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMochaLatte View Post
The no ePub argument that always comes up against the Kindle is not fair in my opinion.

There are hardly any DRM epub books that are not available for the Kindle in the .mobi or .amz file format, and the epub books that are not available for the Kindle are most likely DRM free.

You can convert the files using Calibre.

I guess when people think of ePub they think that B&N automatically syncs all ePub books that you put on your Nook. This is false as non-B&N DRM books will not be synced to your device. You will have to manually do it.
I have come across quite a few DRM epub books that are not available for the Kindle; namely books by Canadian authors, which are often available in epub (at the Kobo store), and that I haven't been able to find in the Kindle store. I imagine that this is true of foreign language books as well. I think that the no epub argument against Kindle is justified.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #107
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I buy numerous ePub books and convert them to Mobi format for the Kindle - it works just fine. I don't recall ever having had a significant problem.
It can definilty happen. My friend at work transferred about 50 of my ePubs to his Kindle, mostly Stephen King books, and quite a few are unreadable. One book is just one long paragraph, no breaks, another has breaks mid sentence and in some cases mid word.

I've heard it mentioned quite a few times around here to that converting doesn't always go soo smooth. It does the majority of time, no doubt be it's never a guarantee though.

Last edited by boswd; 06-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #108
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
All four of them, at least two of which are unlikely to ever have a better deal than Amazon.
If looking for th best deal and selection is important to you, you'd be foolish to choose a reader that 'locks you out' of Amazon.

Fair, IF you don't convert them and IF you switch readers, two big IFs that have to occur together to be relevant and seemingly apply to almost no one, but if they apply to you, and matter to you, by all means, get an epub reader.

It is possible that there could be a problem in conversion, but like Harry, I've never noticed a significant problem, and it's just as likely to find a problem in source book to begin with.
I disagree, Amazon's prices are basically on par with everyone else's now adays. It's old argument that is at least going on 2 years now. Back in 2088-2009 sure you would be right 2011 going on 2012 the price advantage just isn't there anymore.

I'm sorry a 60% off sale at Kobo trumps Amazon everytime.

Last edited by boswd; 06-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #109
boswd
Banned

Quote:
So, say you shopped around and found the best deal at B&N, and those books use their proprietary DRM.
So remind us again how to you take those bargain B&N-type DRM books you found to your Sony or Kobo with out stripping?

ApK

Wow you kindle guys really just fight this tooth and nail don't you? LOL Well that is until the day comes when Amazon gives in and has ePub next thing you know it's champagne cork poping time.

But to answer your question, It's not like I'm going to throw away my nook. Let's say Sony comes out with THE ultimate ereader. I would say 40% of my library easily comes with me. So if I ever want to go back and read any of the books that are tied to BN and the nook, I still will have my nook.

So 40% can come as opposed to the kindle (without stripping and converting) 0% comes with you.

You see that's the difference.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #110
boswd
Banned

Quote:
The spin is only to cancel the ridiculous over-stated spin cast against the Kindle by some of you nook fanbois and to point out the reality.

As I've said numerous times, I don't see this as a significant issue on either side, and I can;t find evidence that any significant number of people do.

As for being able to read B&N type DRM on Sony, got any source, because last I heard here you could not. You could only read B&N DRM on nooks, and a few virtually unheard of second-tier readers.
Great if you can. I'm all for interoperability. But if not, please stop the lying.
You call us fanbois, that's a laugh, Alot of kindle owners sound alot like Apple owners, somehow a negative is a feature.

You go on and on like having ePub is a bad thing and not having it is a plus.
Egads man
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
B&N, on the other hand, does exactly that - and, as far as I know, you can read B&N-books on a Sony-reader.
No, you can't. You can read Sony books on a nook, but you can't read B&N books on a Sony. It's a different DRM mechanism.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #112
boswd
Banned

Quote:
No, you can't. You can read Sony books on a nook, but you can't read B&N books on a Sony. It's a different DRM mechanism.
Harry and ApK is right, you can't read Nook books on a Sony but you can read Sony books on a nook.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, many people (myself included) have both a Kindle and an ePub device, so we have the best of both worlds. These things are sufficiently inexpensive these days to make that an entirely practical proposition. You really don't have to limit yourself to one or the other.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #114
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
So 40% can come as opposed to the kindle (without stripping and converting) 0% comes with you.

40% of yours. If one bought more at B&N it would be less, down to and including 0.
So tell the truth: that it's a POTENTIAL problem all around for DRMed books, not a Kindle or Amazon exclusive, and that it may never effect you on either side.

So why not tell people to check for the availability of the sort of stuff they expect to buy, and either get a reader that accommodates it, or choose the reader they like best but understand the potential limitations on the books.

But keep lying about how closed the Kindle is and how open the nook is, and darn straight I'll keep correcting the misinformation.

Kobo coupons are great, no argument there.
Note that Kobo is still not the number one ebook store. Perhaps comparison shopping with occasional coupons is just not worth the inconvenience for many people compared to one-click on device shopping? Maybe the issue just isn't all that important to many.

Which has been my point. All along.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #115
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Harry and ApK is right, you can't read Nook books on a Sony but you can read Sony books on a nook.
Ah, okay, I remembered that wrong then. This sucks.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #116
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I can move 100% of my books to any device out there. I love Calibre
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #117
boswd
Banned

Quote:
40% of yours. If one bought more at B&N it would be less, down to and including 0.
So tell the truth: that it's a POTENTIAL problem all around for DRMed books, not a Kindle or Amazon exclusive, and that it may never effect you on either side.

So why not tell people to check for the availability of the sort of stuff they expect to buy, and either get a reader that accommodates it, or choose the reader they like best but understand the potential limitations on the books.

But keep lying about how closed the Kindle is and how open the nook is, and darn straight I'll keep correcting the misinformation.

Kobo coupons are great, no argument there.
Note that Kobo is still not the number one ebook store. Perhaps comparison shopping with occasional coupons is just not worth the inconvenience for many people compared to one-click on device shopping? Maybe the issue just isn't all that important to many.

Which has been my point. All along.

ApK

I agree DRM is an issue, never argued any different. And please refer me to my post where I said you are Locked in? Now what you aren't being up front about is, while Yes technically Amazon is not "locked in" because of it's support for DRM free Mobi. What you fail to tell others is very little to no mainstream publishers and top authors are sold on DRM FREE mobi. You get a littany of self publisher or obscure publishers and authors. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, I myself enjoy them) but ifyou want to get your Nora Roberts or Dean Koontz fix on, you're going to run into trouble if you are looking for Mobi DRM FREE.

You can chase this tail in circles all you want but the bottom line at face value and no stripping of DRM or having to convert the advantages of epub
is again

1. take advantage of sales, promotions and discounts from other ereader bookstores

and

2. Being able to take your ePub library with you if you decide to change ereaders since basically ALL ereaders support ePub except the Kindle.

So you can defend Amazon all you want but those are the facts.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
2. Being able to take your ePub library with you if you decide to change ereaders since basically ALL ereaders support ePub except the Kindle.
But, with the greatest respect, it's really not the case, is it? Yes, the ePub file format is widely used, but the problem is that there are three, mutually incompatible, DRM mechanisms in widespread use for ePub books, so if you want the big-name authors you describe, you still face "lock-in" unless you are prepared to remove DRM, and perhaps not even then, given that one of the three ePub DRM mechanisms can't (currently) be removed.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #119
boswd
Banned

Quote:
But, with the greatest respect, it's really not the case, is it? Yes, the ePub file format is widely used, but the problem is that there are three, mutually incompatible, DRM mechanisms in widespread use for ePub books, so if you want the big-name authors you describe, you still face "lock-in" unless you are prepared to remove DRM, and perhaps not even then, given that one of the three ePub DRM mechanisms can't (currently) be removed.

Sure it is. I can't speak for the UK and Europe but here in North America almost all the major ebook stores use ePub via the Adobe ADE DRM scheme which makes it irrelevant where you buy your books and what you read them on.

Almost all the ebook readers used Adbode ADE decoder and all the top ebookstores Kobo, Google books, Sony etc use the same scheme. So I can get my Dean Koontz fix on whether I want to buy from Google to Kobo etc.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Sure it is. I can't speak for the UK and Europe but here in North America almost all the major ebook stores use ePub via the Adobe ADE DRM scheme which makes it irrelevant where you buy your books and what you read them on.

Almost all the ebook readers used Adbode ADE decoder and all the top ebookstores Kobo, Google books, Sony etc use the same scheme. So I can get my Dean Koontz fix on whether I want to buy from Google to Kobo etc.
But the biggest ePub retailer in the US, B&N, uses a DRM mechanism which none of the other major readers can currently handle. They could license it, certainly, but as yet they haven't. You know that's true.

I would still maintain that the cautious buyer really needs to know how to remove DRM, and should ideally do so as soon as a book is purchased. That's the only way to "future proof" your purchases.