Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #91
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
No worse than the 505 really. The layer over the screen is very similar if not identical to the 505's. The touch tech uses IR sensors/emitters along the edge in the bezel, so there is nothing on the screen itself.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #92
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
You folks who own T1's (or are getting one) - where do you store the stylus?
I plan to store the stylus in a drawer. It was neat how the old models had the built-in holder. The stylus has a hook design as if it's meant to attach to a cover. I tried it with Sony cover, and it isn't that intrusive, but it seems you might lose it easily. I guess they figure the other brands don't have a stylus. The next generation model probably won't include one at all would be my guess.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #93
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
DecalGirl cannot make skins fast enough. I had reserved my opinion thinking maybe the trade show and marketing images exaggerated the shine. It is worse than I was expecting. It's not just glossy. It's like a mirror! It also shows fingerprints easily. Very frustrating. It is further compounded when you use the lighted cover because it is near impossible to find an angle where the light covers the screen and doesn't reflect in the case housing.
I would like to add to my previous statements that the black model also shows dust specks very easily. I really liked the white model, but I knew from experience that I like darker bezels for perceived contrast with the screen. I really wanted the red but didn't want to wait and knew that I'd probably skin it regardless of how shiny it is.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #94
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I plan to store the stylus in a drawer. It was neat how the old models had the built-in holder. The stylus has a hook design as if it's meant to attach to a cover. I tried it with Sony cover, and it isn't that intrusive, but it seems you might lose it easily. I guess they figure the other brands don't have a stylus. The next generation model probably won't include one at all would be my guess.
Unfortunately, being a very nerdy fellow, I read nonfiction books with footnotes regularly, and those definitely require a stylus.

Agreed re: dust specks - they're an issue with my black 650.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #95
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Unfortunately, being a very nerdy fellow, I read nonfiction books with footnotes regularly, and those definitely require a stylus.

Agreed re: dust specks - they're an issue with my black 650.
Yes, I understand. With the new model you could pinch and zoom-in the screen which would make it easier to select the footnote perhaps?
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #96
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got some time, and a quick rundown of the major points:
  • Sony's case is very much 'meh'. The upside is that it is form fitting and not nearly as terrible as the B&N Nook cover selection. The downside is that the front cover doesn't like to stay in place without the magnets, and instead of looking like a sewn cover, it just looks like cheap layered plastics. Which it is.
  • The Public Library button takes you back to Sony's "Find a Library" page every time. At first this was annoying, but then I realized this was a great way to access both the Seattle and King County systems through a single button. Wound up happy at the end.
  • Scrolling and resizing in browsers and in PDFs is actually pretty impressive. The eInk lag only really hits you when it decides you are done scrolling and refreshes the display. The fact that I can flick scroll through a very long list in the browser and see where it is scrolling to (even if with difficulty) is superb. It's a nice touch.
  • I wish there was a way to get samples from somewhere. Sony doesn't offer samples, and external stores don't seem to have any either that I can download. Probably one of the few things I miss from the Nook.
  • Font selection is on a per-book basis. While there is a global 'font size' selection option, there isn't one for the font style. Wish there was.
  • Cover rendering on the T1 is improved. It still uses the first page, but SVG covers are handled extremely well now. The "cover as screensaver" option works better than I ever expected, and doesn't introduce any sleep lag like PRS+ does on earlier models.
  • Still wish I could turn the 'recently added' list on the home screen into 'recently read'. Books can be sorted by recently read though, which helps.
  • Speed is excellent, despite no partial refresh support. Just as zippy as the Nook STR. Ghosting is improved over the 650, and better than the Nook.
  • Still tons of love for the side loaded stuff. Gotta love that Sony treats everything on the device equally.
  • This sucker is light enough that it kinda feels like a prop. My wallet is heavier.
  • The virtual keyboard is extremely responsive. Much better than the previous generation. It can keep up with my fingers just fine even if the screen can't.
  • Can't seem to download Nook books from B&N directly. Looks like that route just gives you Palm eReader files. Boo.

Last edited by Kolenka; 10-03-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #97
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
...[*] This sucker is light enough that it kinda feels like a prop. My wallet is heavier.
I'd be glad to 'lighten your wallet for you'
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #98
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'd be glad to 'lighten your wallet for you'
Heh. My wallet only carries about a half-dozen pieces of plastic, and most of it isn't good for buying anything. I try to keep it as slim as possible, so it's amazing that this thing is a hair lighter than that.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #99
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
I've got some time, and a quick rundown of the major points:
  • Sony's case is very much 'meh'. The upside is that it is form fitting and not nearly as terrible as the B&N Nook cover selection. The downside is that the front cover doesn't like to stay in place without the magnets, and instead of looking like a sewn cover, it just looks like cheap layered plastics. Which it is.
is that the one with the light?
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #100
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
is that the one with the light?
It didn't have the light, but I don't expect the one with the light to be much better. Here's the deal: if you have used a 505/600/650 style case in the past with magnets, the T1 case feels like a step back in quality. It doesn't add any more bulk than it needs to, which is good. But the feel of the front is diminished in my eyes. It just doesn't feel like Sony's previous covers. This might be the first time I go with a third party cover for a reader.

That said, I have pretty high standards for covers. I absolutely hated every single Nook STR cover I saw. They added too much bulk and looked like a device sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. Just about the only style cover I loved, first or third party, was the 650 cover. The only one I liked (but didn't love) was the 505 standard cover.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #101
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
It didn't have the light, but I don't expect the one with the light to be much better. Here's the deal: if you have used a 505/600/650 style case in the past with magnets, the T1 case feels like a step back in quality. It doesn't add any more bulk than it needs to, which is good. But the feel of the front is diminished in my eyes. It just doesn't feel like Sony's previous covers. This might be the first time I go with a third party cover for a reader.

That said, I have pretty high standards for covers. I absolutely hated every single Nook STR cover I saw. They added too much bulk and looked like a device sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. Just about the only style cover I loved, first or third party, was the 650 cover. The only one I liked (but didn't love) was the 505 standard cover.
And, if you had the 500 cover the diminishing quality with each generation is even more apparent. I bought the lighted cover. The difference is obvious from my 350 lighted cover. The plastic seems cheaper. There is no more option to change the brightness between Hi & Lo. The length of the flexi-arm is shorter. On the other hand, that's because they've changed the design to make the width smaller. My 350 and T1 lighted covers are the same width and also similar to a 505 width. The lightness is amazing! I do like the cover more than I expected. The firm back cover is nice and feels protective.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #102
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Shine in white model as well?

Hey,
I've read through this thread, and I'm more determined than ever at getting a T1! Seems like a great device.

However though, I'm not sure about the colour... (here in Norway I have to order it from Sony online, so can't check it out in a store). My gut reaction was to go for the black, since almost all my devices and things are black. Seems like most people here have gone for the black model - anybody tried the white one?

Is it as glossy and shiny as the black seems to be?
And how does the contrast feel?

If the contrast feels ok I'll probably go for the white one, even though I usually prefer black.
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #103
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Get over it. You're not going to die to make a one inch movement on the screen by swiping.
Thank you for that clarification. I was worried about that (dieing from swiping).

What's the problem? It's just my opinion. Some people prefer/like the swipe, some don't.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #104
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What's the problem? It's just my opinion. Some people prefer/like the swipe, some don't.
The problem isn't with you. At least one person has been preaching obsessively from the pulpit of the single tap church. The individual has taken to spamming every thread he can with a religious fervor that is plain annoying. My theory is that you got caught in the backlash.

Like you indicated, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #105
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Get over it. You're not going to die to make a one inch movement on the screen by swiping.
In case you didn't realize it, you won't die from tapping, either.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony t1