Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #91
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
Don't hijack my computer and force it on me.
You did agree to let them add and delete things on your computer when you installed the software.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I haven't used Kobo. Why do you think it is better? Are the books DRMed?
For me, using Kobo saves a step converting formats to get the epub I want. As a Canadian, I also have access to KoboPlus which is much the same as Kindle Unlimited but does not force an author to be exclusive to Kobo. This results in quite a few more books by authors I want to read being available though a good chunk of this is due to Open Road Media's SF&F collection. OTOH, my wife likes authors such as Rachel Morgan and her Creepy Hollow and Elemental series.

The DRM used by Kobo for their ebooks synced to their desktop app or an ereader is handled by the Obok plugin which still works in calibre 5 while the DRM used by downloading from their site is the standard Adobe DRM for those books that have DRM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #93
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I thought that having the "update Kindle" unchecked and the user account preferences set to always notifiy would prevent it from updating (I am still using 1.17) but when I turned it on this morning after not using it since the last time it updated.

Fortunatly, I have Revo Uninstall and can easily uninstall it. It seems that I am just going to uninstall and reinstall it each time.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I thought that having the "update Kindle" unchecked and the user account preferences set to always notifiy would prevent it from updating (I am still using 1.17) but when I turned it on this morning after not using it since the last time it updated.

Fortunatly, I have Revo Uninstall and can easily uninstall it. It seems that I am just going to uninstall and reinstall it each time.
Not quite. I had 1.17 installed and it was updated by Amazon. I reinstalled 1.17 (I saved the installer) and it seems to work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:18 AM   #95
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I haven't used Kobo. Why do you think it is better? Are the books DRMed?
My Kobo Forma is my favorite reader. And as DNSB said, there are 2 completely separate ways to free them from DRM if needed. They have a points program to earn free books and get discounts on some eligible books which is worthwhile if you mainly get books there. They will also price match.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #96
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not quite. I had 1.17 installed and it was updated by Amazon. I reinstalled 1.17 (I saved the installer) and it seems to work.
Yeah, I kept the installer too. However, it seems that everytime I close it out, there is a new folder and that temp file that turns into the newest installer that automatically updates when you restart it.

I don't know how it bypasses the account user settings that I have on the strictest mode to let me know if ANYTHING is updated, but it does. I have to be "Jonny on the spot" to remember to delete that new folder before restarting it each time.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #97
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
I move all of my Kindle books to a different folder as soon as they are downloaded. That way if Amazon decides to remove books from my library (it did at least 4 times in the past 10 years), all of my purchased material is safe.

Have you seen this post? People say it works:

"When you launch Kindle for PC it will start downloading the update as a temporary file and folder. If you just create two empty files that are read only in their place it can’t do it! I tried it and it works.

These are the two files:
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\updates
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\temp_%1%2 "
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #98
Me_ri
Me_ri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre
Thank you for the response. I set up the portable Calibre 4.23, but the batch file to stop KFX didn't work for me. Is it only for Apple (since you mentioned that you set the default device to your Apple device).
Me_ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #99
Me_ri
Me_ri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre
nvm I got it to work. What worked was to go to this link (that someone else mentioned) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371 , in the first post, under method 2, where you open the terminal and copypaste what it says.
Me_ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:29 AM   #100
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura35 View Post
That way if Amazon decides to remove books from my library (it did at least 4 times in the past 10 years)...
Sounds like Amazon must really hate you.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:28 AM   #101
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, that just p***es me off.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #102
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I post this only to see if anyone is encountering the same conditions I am. I don't really have a problem, and I can get to my books.

My old Kindle for PC (1.17) was one of the installations that upgraded spontaneously despite my directive. I ran Jhowell's batch file (Thanks!) and then reinstalled Kindle for PC 1.17. That appeared to work but, for whatever reason the program would never start. Clicking the icon seemed to work, but the program never ran.

So, I installed 1.26. Files downloaded to Kindle for PC won't open, but if I go to Amazon and download them to my computer to be transferred to my Kindle via USB, they DO decrypt and open. With my temporarily upgraded Kindle for PC, files downloaded for USB transfer would still not decrypt and open.

So, I'm okay. But confused.

Last edited by cromag; 12-03-2020 at 06:06 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:49 AM   #103
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Files downloaded from the website will be connected to the device you choose -- an E-ink Kindle if you want to decrypt them. They are completely unconnected to files downloaded with Kindle for PC.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:55 AM   #104
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Please list contents of disbale K4PC updates .bat file

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

------

!
Could you please list the contents of the .bat file, so that I can double-check the fie locations. Can't seem to find the listed folders.....
Thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #105
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Could you please list the contents of the .bat file, so that I can double-check the fie locations. Can't seem to find the listed folders.
I have updated my post to show the contents of the batch file in a spoiler.

The batch file only checks for the location where Kindle for PC is typically installed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update