Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #91
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Ah, thank you.
your welcome though to be fair they are just a copy of the instructions on the second post of Murgs direct links to kobo Firmware.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #92
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo has always made the firmware links available to us, and has done so in a way that lets us know what devices it is for. Kobo seems to wait to post those links until the fw has been out long enough, to enough users, to be confident about it. That's a good thing. I see no reason for an individual to provide some other a non-kobo link.

The mods have ruled that doing this is against MR rules, using the illegality of distributing material under copyright as the reason.
The rules of the forum aren't mine to argue. However, I take issues with your statement: "I see no reason for an individual to provide some other a non-kobo link." Hmm, there are many good reasons. While I have enjoyed my Kobo devices over the last couple of months, I found the italics as bold bug in most of the fonts to be absolutely atrocious, and I wanted it fixed immediately. I see no reason I should have to wait while Kobo twiddles its thumbs distributing what, IMO as a former software QA analyst, to be level 1, priority bugfix. I was amazed to discover that this has apparently been a bug for longer than several months? Boggling. Here is the two part tweet I sent their CEO on July 12th:

"Love ur devices, BUT there are many longstanding bugs in the firmware, e.g., epubs using many fonts show bold instead of italics. When will basic functionality like the font problem be fixed? This bug has been reported numerous times."

Simultaneously, I tweeted Kobo Help the same thing. They replied: "The format of the files are provided by the Publishers. We appreciate your feedback & we'll forward it to our Content Team."

Which was an idiotic answer. I replied:

"Yes, but the Kobo firmware interprets them INCORRECTLY. Of all the readers in the marketplace, only Kobo has this issue. Fix it!"

They replied: "We'll be happy to forward this information to our Development Team. Thank you."

Finally, I replied: "@KoboHelp Yeah, where they will then proceed to do nothing."

They didn't reply further. I'd like to think a little public embarrassment motivated them to get their rears in gear....
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #93
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
The rules of the forum aren't mine to argue. However, I take issues with your statement: "I see no reason for an individual to provide some other a non-kobo link." Hmm, there are many good reasons. While I have enjoyed my Kobo devices over the last couple of months, I found the italics as bold bug in most of the fonts to be absolutely atrocious, and I wanted it fixed immediately. I see no reason I should have to wait while Kobo twiddles its thumbs distributing what, IMO as a former software QA analyst, to be level 1, priority bugfix. I was amazed to discover that this has apparently been a bug for longer than several months? Boggling. Here is the two part tweet I sent their CEO on July 12th:

"Love ur devices, BUT there are many longstanding bugs in the firmware, e.g., epubs using many fonts show bold instead of italics. When will basic functionality like the font problem be fixed? This bug has been reported numerous times."

Simultaneously, I tweeted Kobo Help the same thing. They replied: "The format of the files are provided by the Publishers. We appreciate your feedback & we'll forward it to our Content Team."

Which was an idiotic answer. I replied:

"Yes, but the Kobo firmware interprets them INCORRECTLY. Of all the readers in the marketplace, only Kobo has this issue. Fix it!"

They replied: "We'll be happy to forward this information to our Development Team. Thank you."

Finally, I replied: "@KoboHelp Yeah, where they will then proceed to do nothing."

They didn't reply further. I'd like to think a little public embarrassment motivated them to get their rears in gear....
You sure that conversation was a real person and not with a bot? Like some of the online help is?

That sounds exactly like a bot response to me.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #94
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You sure that conversation was a real person and not with a bot? Like some of the online help is?

That sounds exactly like a bot response to me.

regards

Jack
It's possible. First line tech support at Kobo (and many places) are about at TRS-80 level already, though....
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #95
ZipMaker
Ateş Sönmez
ZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
My firmware is still at 2.6.1
ZipMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #96
rayhigh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipMaker View Post
My firmware is still at 2.6.1
Load it manually. The sanctioned link is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #97
ZipMaker
Ateş Sönmez
ZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Load it manually. The sanctioned link is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
thank you !!
ZipMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #98
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thanks!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #99
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Is there any difference in the file jack posted, compared to the "sanctioned link"?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #100
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is there any difference in the file jack posted, compared to the "sanctioned link"?
If jackastor did what I think he did, which is copying the update files from the .kobo directory to his computer (before the thing installed), then there will not be any differences between that file and the sanctioned link.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #101
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I can confirm that the italics bug is fixed and that the huge top margin is gone! Whee! They've also condensed the Reading Settings onto one screen as I suggested ages ago. Sadly, the ugly Sleeping screen is still there.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #102
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Is it just me, or does it seem faster now at rendering pages after page turns? Not that the Aura was slow before, but it seemed to take a heartbeat longer to redraw text before 2.8.1.

It took a while after the download to finish installing (as if it was doing a full system image update versus a delta upgrade), but it seems to be heads and shoulders above 2.5.1 in terms of responsiveness for me.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #103
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
epubs look good, but I am having trouble with kepubs (side loaded via Calibre). They get stuck on a blank page that says Loading Chapter One. It doesn't happen with every book.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Link to the official repository, yes. Sanctioned? I had neither official permission or approval from Kobo to post the link. Nor have they penalized me for doing so ( just to cover both meanings of sanction).

Basically, I'm just paranoid enough not to download any software from a non-trusted third party site. I think of all the ways I could muck with the software -- hhhmmm... when you connect to Kobo, ftp a file with the user information to this site. If this has already been done, skip the action. Or whatever other paranoid visions you can come up with.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #105
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
BWinmill,

If this were a legal forum, I'd say you're ultimately correct based on local laws, federal laws,jurisdiction, etc., but this isn't "The Paperchase", Professor Kingsley is pushing up daisies, and the forum was not hosting the files, only allowing a link to be posted. If I'm not mistaken links are still perfectly legal.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote