Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #946
xlla
xlla began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
hi, I'v choose wrong locale "en_US" in "Setup step 1. Factory Reset ".
now I am stuck in "Jailbreak step 9 ", Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started" just shows User Guides instead of kindle reboot.

1. does it means the jailbreak was failure?

2. how to leave the demo mode and do factory reset again to choose en_GB?
xlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #947
xlla

I manage to factory reset kindle and select United Kingdom and redo all the steps, but I still stuck on "Jailbreak step 9 ", the "Get started" menu do not reboot kindle.

my device is kindle whitepaper 5 with firmware 5.14.0.1 , to follow the jailbreak instruction, I'v downloaded & installed fw 5.14.1.1 manually.
Advert
Old 04-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #948
xlla

then I do a reboot from device options menu, and continue remain steps,
in "Post Jailbreak step 5", it shows update Error 007, and stay in demo mode.

maybe amazon was patched old firmware(5.14.1.1) by stealth to block this hole?
I'v installed this fw, update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_11th_5.14.1.1.bin
the md5sum is bd392d85e8b0784a3b3d43defd1d8bee
Old 04-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #949
najim
najim began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
when I type ;entre_demo nothing happend i have kindle basic 7th 90C6
najim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:29 AM   #950
tudorcris
tudorcris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Noob here. I have followed all of the steps properly to jailbreak my PW2. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication of the jailbreak having done anything. Checking the firmware version still says 5.12.2.2. I got the thank you message in the terminal style on 1 boot up, but that has been it. Anyone willing to explain?
tudorcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2023, 06:16 AM   #951
spameggs
spameggs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Backing up documents before JB

Hello, I'm using a PW2 (9060), FW 5.12.2.2 and hoping to JB with WatchThis to prevent future device bricking by Amazon (happened once after an OTA). As the JB method requires an initial factory reset, I will need a way of creating a backup for all my documents and annotations.

I know Amazon purchases are synced in the cloud and I can copy/paste all my personal documents (added through Calibre). My concern is that after transferring my files back onto the Kindle, I may have my mix of personal and Amazon store documents, but with either some or all the annotations missing. I annotate heavily and have years of important highlights/notes, mainly for research, which I cannot lose.

I know the MyClippings.txt file contains a log of annotations made, but it will not restore annotations in the documents themselves. I also know that annotations may be kept in separate mbp1, etc. files in the document sub-folders. So some forums suggest a backup of the documents folder (thread 147031, thread 175299), or indeed the whole visible Kindle directory (thread 195397). However, the files that contain the annotations for each document are encrypted and I'm not sure if they will be accessible by the device post-JB, and/or maybe post-downgrade if I decide to roll back to pre-5.12.x firmware after JB.

Could anyone with experience with this process please either reassure me that my mix of annotations will probably be safe with a backup/restore of the Kindle directory, or tell me to avoid the JB if my annotations are so valuable? Any other advice/lifehacks/spiritual guidance are also welcome. Thank you!
spameggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:25 PM   #952
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by spameggs View Post
Hello, I'm using a PW2 (9060), FW 5.12.2.2 and hoping to JB with WatchThis to prevent future device bricking by Amazon (happened once after an OTA). As the JB method requires an initial factory reset, I will need a way of creating a backup for all my documents and annotations.

Spoiler:

I know Amazon purchases are synced in the cloud and I can copy/paste all my personal documents (added through Calibre). My concern is that after transferring my files back onto the Kindle, I may have my mix of personal and Amazon store documents, but with either some or all the annotations missing. I annotate heavily and have years of important highlights/notes, mainly for research, which I cannot lose.

I know the MyClippings.txt file contains a log of annotations made, but it will not restore annotations in the documents themselves. I also know that annotations may be kept in separate mbp1, etc. files in the document sub-folders. So some forums suggest a backup of the documents folder (thread 147031, thread 175299), or indeed the whole visible Kindle directory (thread 195397). However, the files that contain the annotations for each document are encrypted and I'm not sure if they will be accessible by the device post-JB, and/or maybe post-downgrade if I decide to roll back to pre-5.12.x firmware after JB.

Could anyone with experience with this process please either reassure me that my mix of annotations will probably be safe with a backup/restore of the Kindle directory, or tell me to avoid the JB if my annotations are so valuable? Any other advice/lifehacks/spiritual guidance are also welcome. Thank you!
Those files are not text (binary), but they are not encrypted. Their names are tied to your account, so you should re-register after the jailbreak.

The file formats and data dumping utilities are discussed in the threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321811
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172

Backing up and restoring the documents directory should preserve access to your highlights and notes.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:56 PM   #953
Hotrootsoup
Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.Hotrootsoup has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (5.3.4 JB)
For anyone else getting the "Get started" guide with no reboot happening, check if you made the same embarrassing mistake as me.

You need to copy over the actual .zip file to the .demo folder, NOT the contents of the .zip file. Sigh.
Hotrootsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:35 PM   #954
Inqurity
Inqurity began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 7th gen (Paperwhite 3)
Still no way to JB on 5.15.1.1?
man i remember i wanted to jailbreak my kindle right after i got it, but had no idea it has auto updates, was very painful
Inqurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:22 PM   #955
zreader
zreader began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Yup, took care of that too, thanks. Also installed the JB Hotfix found in Nijule's snapshot thread.(I was supposed to do that one, right...??)

Thanks.
Did you find out if both the
Code:
Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin
(from this thread) and
Code:
Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin
(from @NiJuLe's Open Sesame Tutorial thread) have to be installed, or if they do the same thing, so either one can be installed, or if one is an improved version of the other?
zreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #956
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The former is customized to deal with the immediate aftermath of the watchthis JB, so, if that's the JB you used, definitely use that one.

In case there have been basic bridge changes since it was created, I'd recommend *also* following it by the standard bridge/hotfix package later on, but, right now, that point is mostly moot, as it shouldn't have deviated in any meaningful way .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #957
zreader
zreader began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The former is customized to deal with the immediate aftermath of the watchthis JB, so, if that's the JB you used, definitely use that one.

In case there have been basic bridge changes since it was created, I'd recommend *also* following it by the standard bridge/hotfix package later on, but, right now, that point is mostly moot, as it shouldn't have deviated in any meaningful way .
Thank's for the quick reply!

What do you mean by "basic bridge changes"?
zreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:07 PM   #958
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Any and all code changes. As a somewhat relevant example: dealing with the latest FW keystore changes.

Which I *haven't* dealt with ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:30 PM   #959
n0ukf
n0ukf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard D00901; Kindle D01100; Kindle Touch D01200
I see this thread says it's for <= 5.14.2 but everything I see so far stops at 5.12. Are any jailbreaks still compatible with 5.3.7.3 or earlier? Are there any compatible firmware updates to bring gen3/gen4 Kindles up to 5.14?
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #960
Tidus990
Tidus990 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I have the Kindle PW2 on 5.12.2.2 (2061450038). Followed everything to the letter and the jailbreak script was running after reboot. But I seem to have post jailbreak problems: When I copy the Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to root I get an "update error" and the file get's deleted. Is there anything I can do?
Tidus990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak