Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What extra layer? If they are both capacitve touch, what extra layer is needed?
It may not be an extra layer that's the problem. What might be the problem is that when the screen is made flush, the top layer is moved slightly away from the screen in order to be even with the bezel. The Libra 2 does not have this as the layers are close together. But the PW5 has this because it's flush.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #77
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
this particular photo is an unfair comparison. why? look closely at the PW5 the image is blurred, only slightly, but still noticeable to my eyes.
Wait a minute!

Jon says GoodEreader conspires to make the Kobo look lousy. Now he is using one of their images as evidence that the Kobo is clearly superior.

But then someone else is saying that the photo is blurred, thereby making the Kindle look lousy.

Could it be GoodEreader isn't in anyone's pocket and their frequent errors result purely from incompetence?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #78
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wait a minute!

Jon says GoodEreader conspires to make the Kobo look lousy. Now he is using one of their images as evidence that the Kobo is clearly superior.

But then someone else is saying that the photo is blurred, thereby making the Kindle look lousy.

Could it be GoodEreader isn't in anyone's pocket and their frequent errors result purely from incompetence?
your guess is as good as mine. as far as i'm concerned the PW5 wins hands down on shape alone plus having a flush screen. i don't read square shaped physical books so therefore i have no interest in the Oasis, Forma, Libra 2, Sage etc. like you the Pearl screen was good know enough for me

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:54 PM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The layer that makes it seem that the display is flush.
Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #80
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
your guess is as good as mine. as far as i'm concerned the PW5 wins hands down on shape alone plus having a flush screen. i don't read square shaped physical books so therefore i have no interest in the Oasis, Forma, Libra 2, Sage etc. like you the Pearl screen was good know enough for me

best wishes koboy
For me the Libra 2 wins hands down on the shape alone, to say nothing of the screen. I have no interest in traditional-shaped ereaders, and none whatsoever in buttonless readers.

Flush or sunken, it doesn't matter to me.

To each their own.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #81
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me the Libra 2 wins hands down on the shape alone, to say nothing of the screen. I have no interest in traditional-shaped ereaders, and none whatsoever in buttonless readers.

Flush or sunken, it doesn't matter to me.

To each their own.
i'd prefer buttons especially on both sides similar to the Voyage design/shape/size. i had one of the older Kindles i think it was the 4 not the grey one, i had the black one it had buttons on either side pre touch screen days, i liked it a lot.

each to their own agreed

best wishes koboy
Old 12-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #82
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i'd prefer buttons especially on both sides similar to the Voyage design/shape/size. i had one of the older Kindles i think it was the 4 not the grey one, i had the black one it had buttons on either side pre touch screen days, i liked it a lot.

each to their own agreed

best wishes koboy
I had the same Kindle too, but while I did like the buttons, the overall shape not so much. The same goes for the Voyage. The ergonomics of the regular-shaped readers never felt right to me. And the 6'' screen is far too small for me now.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wait a minute!

The Libra 2 in the screen grab is lousy. They made it look like the Kindle. It's just that the screen looks good.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #84
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I had the same Kindle too, but while I did like the buttons, the overall shape not so much. The same goes for the Voyage. The ergonomics of the regular-shaped readers never felt right to me. And the 6'' screen is far too small for me now.
as we know everyone will have their own personal preferences/wants/needs. the 6" Voyage style/shape is ideal for me mainly because it will fit in all of my jackets/coats inside pocket inside it's cover. disclaimer, transporting an ereader without a cover/sleeve is equally allowed

best wishes koboy
Old 12-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

best wishes koboy
I'll have to disagree on the shape of the Libra 2. You are not reading a square screen. The Libra 2 does feel good to hold.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #86
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll have to disagree on the shape of the Libra 2. You are not reading a square screen. The Libra 2 does feel good to hold.
your right, your not reading a square shaped screen, which is something i've pointed out myself in the past. but you are most definitely holding a square shaped ereader.

edit, btw, if you don't mind will you please take a high quality image/photo of the Kobo Aura H2O vs Libra 2 with the front light off? let's see which one looks best

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 12-30-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #87
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Does anyone have a comparison picture of the Voyage's and the new Paperwhite's screens? (Going back to the original post.) If the PW5's screen is anywhere near the quality of the Voyage I would be curious to see that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #88
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does anyone have a comparison picture of the Voyage's and the new Paperwhite's screens? (Going back to the original post.) If the PW5's screen is anywhere near the quality of the Voyage I would be curious to see that.
i'm pretty sure it's been done on here. a three way photo comparison of the PW5 the Libra 2 and the Voyage. i think it was Barty that did it.

edit, on second thoughts it might have been the Sage and not the PW5. my apologies if i'm slightly misremembering

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 12-30-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #89
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please see high resolution images of the PW5 and Oasis 3 without the front light on? Thanks.
I tried to upload higher res images but couldn’t. I will try again when my internet is behaving better.

I will also take some pics with lights off but will wait until daylight.

As an aside, the ereaders I use day to day are the Oasis 3 and the Libra H2O. I like both, but the screen on the Oasis is a little better - it’s only noticeable when they are side by side, but I can get a little obsessive about it. And, when the lights are off on both readers, the Oasis is clearly better, the background is a lot paler, and I can actually use it with the light off if required. The Libra H2O is very gray when the light is off.

I am in two minds whether I prefer a flush screen or a recessed one. One thing I am sure about, however, is that I have a strong preference for a white surround, so that I can have the text close to the edges and still feel I am looking at one big 'page', as opposed to the Oasis, where I am aware I am reading a framed screen on a device.

In practice, though, both readers are great and the screens are both pretty wonderful, which is why I haven’t been particularly tempted by either the PW5 or the Libra 2.

I do love the shape and feel of the PW5, however. I wish they would use the side buttons on the first little kindle basic, and I would be very tempted.

I was tempted by the Libra 2, and might have purchased if not for it having the same processor as the Libra H2O, which is quite slow to react, e.g., when highlighting, etc. Particularly compared to the Oasis, where the highlighting is smooth and effortless.

This was meant to be a short post.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #90
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I tried to upload higher res images but couldn’t. I will try again when my internet is behaving better.

I will also take some pics with lights off but will wait until daylight.

As an aside, the ereaders I use day to day are the Oasis 3 and the Libra H2O. I like both, but the screen on the Oasis is a little better - it’s only noticeable when they are side by side, but I can get a little obsessive about it. And, when the lights are off on both readers, the Oasis is clearly better, the background is a lot paler, and I can actually use it with the light off if required. The Libra H2O is very gray when the light is off.

I am in two minds whether I prefer a flush screen or a recessed one. One thing I am sure about, however, is that I have a strong preference for a white surround, so that I can have the text close to the edges and still feel I am looking at one big 'page', as opposed to the Oasis, where I am aware I am reading a framed screen on a device.

In practice, though, both readers are great and the screens are both pretty wonderful, which is why I haven’t been particularly tempted by either the PW5 or the Libra 2.

I do love the shape and feel of the PW5, however. I wish they would use the side buttons on the first little kindle basic, and I would be very tempted.

I was tempted by the Libra 2, and might have purchased if not for it having the same processor as the Libra H2O, which is quite slow to react, e.g., when highlighting, etc. Particularly compared to the Oasis, where the highlighting is smooth and effortless.

This was meant to be a short post.
The screen of the Oasis is better than that of the Libra H2O, yes. And the Libra 2 is noticeably better than both, at least with the light on (I never use any ereader with the light off). But it's true the Oasis is way faster than the Libras. I was a bit disappointed about the older processor too. Still, that screen is gorgeous. The Oasis seems positively fuzzy and low-contrast beside the Libra 2. As to the greyness, can't comment, as I never look at unlit eink screens.

I sold my Libra H2O after I got the Libra 2.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-30-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Tags
paperwhite, voyage