Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #76
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The book is The Martian. They embedded free serif, free sans, and free mono. These fonts are awful and yes, you should remove them. The monospace font is so light, it can cause eyestrain. The others aren't much better. I did remove these fonts. There's no way at all I was going to read with these fonts embedded.
Well, since the embedded font didn't show up at all until I was a third of the way through the book, I'm not willing to stop reading and fix it. It's annoying, but again, I'm lazy, and since I *can* read it with my glasses, it's not a total show stopper.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #77
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Here's an example of a *really* bad decision on the part of the book formatter. I don't know what font they embedded for this, and to tell you the truth, I don't care what font it is.
Looks like plain Courier to me. But a cut that's too thin for screen.
If it's embedded, can't you just turn off publisher fonts?
Kindle has an OK monospaced font you can use if you really need it.
So I can't guess why such a font was embedded at all. I guess it was just a default and not an informed choice.

By the way, it looks like Courier was used to indicate a "computer font". Which is pretty dumb for a book set in the future. I used fonts like that (actually, better than that) when I was using a line printer back in the 70s (screens? You know how much one of those costs?). I might use a sans as that's more common with screen fonts this century. Though personally I use Georgia most of the time if I can choose.

Only times I've used a typewriter mono font was to 1) emulate a typewritten document or 2) for ASCII art. (Again, back in the 70s, you could print out cheesecake pictures on a few fanfold pages.) But the built-in mono fonts are fine for those.

Last edited by AlanHK; 11-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, since the embedded font didn't show up at all until I was a third of the way through the book, I'm not willing to stop reading and fix it. It's annoying, but again, I'm lazy, and since I *can* read it with my glasses, it's not a total show stopper.

Shari
All the fonts you see are embedded. I've been in the code to dump the fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
So I can't guess why such a font was embedded at all. I guess it was just a default and not an informed choice.

By the way, it looks like Courier was used to indicate a "computer font". Which is pretty dumb for a book set in the future. I used fonts like that (actually, better than that) when I was using a line printer back in the 70s (screens? You know how much one of those costs?). I might use a sans as that's more common with screen fonts this century. Though personally I use Georgia most of the time if I can choose.

Only times I've used a typewriter mono font was to 1) emulate a typewritten document or 2) for ASCII art. (Again, back in the 70s, you could print out cheesecake pictures on a few fanfold pages.) But the built-in mono fonts are fine for those.
In The Martian, the monospace is used for a good reason. If the book was properly made, it would have use the default fonts instead of these awful embedded fonts.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #80
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Publisher fonts *are* turned off. I'm using Ember bold as the regular font. As noted earlier in this thread, turning off publisher font only allows selection of the main body font. It doesn't do anything to change any custom fonts used in other parts of the book.

Shari
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #81
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
In The Martian, the monospace is used for a good reason. If the book was properly made, it would have use the default fonts instead of these awful embedded fonts.
I just want everyone here to know--that's NOT our book. We'd never have used those fonts, not in a million years. Not for the swaths of text that those cover. I might have used the one, for a short piece of text-like a sentence, at most--but not the way those are deployed.

(Is that the original self-pubbed version? Does anyone know who DID do it?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #82
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I just want everyone here to know--that's NOT our book. We'd never have used those fonts, not in a million years. Not for the swaths of text that those cover. I might have used the one, for a short piece of text-like a sentence, at most--but not the way those are deployed.

Hitch
I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, the publisher is listed as Random House.

Shari
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #83
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, the publisher is listed as Random House.

Shari
AH. Well, that probably tells most of us where that was done. (Hey, Tex--your faves!) Still--it's not, really, the bookmaker's fault. (yes, yes, sure, some of it is, they should argue, but...if you have RH as a client, would YOU?) RH's editors and folks should know better. Does no one there have a bloody Kindle?

Hitch
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Hitch
Here is who published The Martian. It's not the self-published version.

All rights reserved.
Published in the United States by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC, a Penguin Random House Company, New York.

And with eInk, the contrast is very poor. The fonts used are AWFUL!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #85
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Here is who published The Martian. It's not the self-published version.

All rights reserved.
Published in the United States by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC, a Penguin Random House Company, New York.

And with eInk, the contrast is very poor. The fonts used are AWFUL!
Yeah, so I see, bro. That's dreadful. (and here I was thinking, just the other day, that I really wanted to read that, too!!!). I mean, there is exactly ZERO CHANCE that I will download a book and then reformat it. That's like thinking that someone who shows their own horses, after years of hard work, etc., wants to take someone ELSE's problem horse and "fix it" before riding it. Uh...no, thanks?

Rats. El sucko.

Hitch
Old 11-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #86
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Shari
I find this totally bizarre. NOTHING, until a third of the way? ???

Hitch
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #87
shalym
Wizard

Quote:

Hitch
For the first third of the book, it's all just straight narrative...although the narrative is couched as log entries, it's still just narrative. About a third of the way through the book, he goes out and finds an old piece of equipment and boots it up. The boot sequence is in a font that's even worse than the one I showed in my picture. After that, there are emails that go back and forth...the emails are all in the font I posted.

Shari
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
AH. Well, that probably tells most of us where that was done. (Hey, Tex--your faves!) Still--it's not, really, the bookmaker's fault. (yes, yes, sure, some of it is, they should argue, but...if you have RH as a client, would YOU?) RH's editors and folks should know better. Does no one there have a bloody Kindle?

Hitch
A Kindle would be a terrible choice for a Reader to test eBooks with. I can see whoever is doing the testing would have one of the built in fonts selected and it would look OK and still suck.

An ePub capable Reader would be better because then the embedded fonts would show and they can see that most used are lousy.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, so I see, bro. That's dreadful. (and here I was thinking, just the other day, that I really wanted to read that, too!!!). I mean, there is exactly ZERO CHANCE that I will download a book and then reformat it. That's like thinking that someone who shows their own horses, after years of hard work, etc., wants to take someone ELSE's problem horse and "fix it" before riding it. Uh...no, thanks?

Rats. El sucko.

Hitch
It's worth the effort. It's a really good book.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Hitch
I think it could be that the embedded fonts were not noticed. Free Serif and Free Sans are also used and maybe you just didn't notice. But trust me, they suck too.