Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #76
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
But what about all my legally bought books???? I do not think that there is a legal way to convert them. And if my Cybook croaks in a few years, all those books are gone ????

So in 2 years time, when something better than ePub comes along (Please please I don't want to insult anybody...) Will I have to buy my books a third time...

I made a decision to go digital, I stand by it, but I want my ebooks to stand the test of time... Like my paperbooks did!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #77
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
But what about all my legally bought books???? I do not think that there is a legal way to convert them. And if my Cybook croaks in a few years, all those books are gone ????
Canada does not have an anti-circumvention law, so it may be legal in Canada to strip DRM and format shift ebooks you own for personal use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #78
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Canada does not have an anti-circumvention law, so it may be legal in Canada to strip DRM and format shift ebooks you own for personal use.
Do you have to be in Canada or is it enough to do it remotely on a Canadian machine?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #79
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Welll, firsts impresion.

Having Twice the ram and twice the proc helps !
Naruto's scantrads seams more readable without zoom. (I think the screen have a bettter resolution. Wanna display to same image on both.)

Oh, linux display the opus as gen 3.

Edit : Well, no, but the opus being smaller and lighter, you can lift it closer more easily.
And the opus succeeded in opening a Pdf ok when gen 3 get so sluggish it's not usable.
Well, it get ok after the really long loading. Not sure if the update changed something or not.

Right, now i need to update calibre.

Did you had one of the bookeen's bag shipped with the opus ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-01-2009 at 07:39 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #80
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I doubt that calibre is able to detect an opus until the author have one opus in hands...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #81
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid did try to have calibre detecting the opus. Trouble being said opus identifying itself as Gen3...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #82
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Identifying as a Gen3? what do you mean by this? The USB PID/VID? If this is that, I think they do this to allow the use of mobipocket Desktop who identify the Gen3 with these informations...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #83
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Identifying as a Gen3? what do you mean by this? The USB PID/VID? If this is that, I think they do this to allow the use of mobipocket Desktop who identify the Gen3 with these informations...
I think that's it.
Also , when i pluged the opus, disks where labeled "gen3"
Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
It will be able to do mobipocket as the Gen3 will. They will release a Mobipocket firmware, it just not ready, but it will come really soon.
But by the time they do, you'll already have ePub books so why then would you want to swap firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #85
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually as of 0.6.4 calibre should be smart enough to detect the Opus even though its VID/PID is the same as the Gen3, at least on windows and OS X
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #86
Godzil

How do you do this? But I don't try the latest version, do you now allow ePub export for the Gen3/Opus? (it was not possible on the 0.5.X branch)

By the way even if I don't like the Calibre GUI, it's too much Linuxish and strange for me, it is anyway a really good product, thanks for it

Last edited by Godzil; 08-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #87
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUB export for the gen3/opus has been supported in all 0.6.x releases. Although the PID is the same for the OPUS and GEN3 the product name string is not. That is what is used.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #88
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
But by the time they do, you'll already have ePub books so why then would you want to swap firmware?
Well, the french publisher made my choice easy. ePub it will be.
Mobi firmware will be there the the people wanting folders and stuff but not wanting to switch. Would be lame from bookeen to tell "you want new features ? convert all your ebooks."
Mobi for Opus is there beccasue it son't cost that much, and the peaple already owing prc book won't have trouble to convert. (calibre's having a hard time with my books right now !)

And i realised that i didn't had a backup of all my books. I need to be more careful with that !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #89
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post

So in 2 years time, when something better than ePub comes along (Please please I don't want to insult anybody...) Will I have to buy my books a third time...

I made a decision to go digital, I stand by it, but I want my ebooks to stand the test of time... Like my paperbooks did!

Regards,

Georges
It may not be legal NOW, to strip your legally purchased books off DRM.
There's huge confusion around that issue, I hear various points of view.
BUT: If your actual provider, be it the webshop which sold the books to you or be it your reader's manufacturer, should cease business, I guess the situation is differently:
a.) The legal situation should be different, as the legal party holding a contract with you doesn't exist anymore.
b.) "No harm, no foul". When they cease business, who should make you any trouble?

So: As long as you've got support, there's no actual need for stripping DRM. You can read the books the way it was intended.
If you don't have support anymore, you can strip off DRM and port your books to whatever unit or format you choose then.
I still wouldn't talk to openly about it. But in case of a lawsuit, you'd have pretty strong arguments.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #90
EowynCarter
Wizard

Stripping DRM off book so I can read them -> ok.
Stripping DRM off book to put them on Torrent -> Not ok.