Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #61
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkob View Post
A sort of epilogue to this thread.

I returned my original Libra 2 and got a new one earlier this week.
It's a completely different experience!
While the previous Libra 2 was unstable to the point of being almost unusable, the new one has been extremely stable: not a single crash or freeze in the 5 days I've used it.
I tried with both 4.32 and the latest 4.33.

⇒ The conclusion is that I probably had a FW device the first time (RAM or flash).

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave advice in this thread. 😊
Assuming that there was a parts/component shortage and that KOBO may have substituted available rather than optimal parts how can we tell if we got what we paid for (or what was advertised).
Many of the reported "crashes" remind me of an analogous Windows situation due to insufficient memory. How can we tell how much memory is allocated
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LG had a problem with their C1 OLED TV. Sets made in/after September 2021 had a problem with UHD devices plugged into the HDMI port. It was fixed with a firmware update. But I'm guessing it was due to some part(s) not being the same due to the shortage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by readologist View Post
Assuming that there was a parts/component shortage and that KOBO may have substituted available rather than optimal parts how can we tell if we got what we paid for (or what was advertised).
Many of the reported "crashes" remind me of an analogous Windows situation due to insufficient memory. How can we tell how much memory is allocated
And how do we know that the the first Libra 2 that @Rkob was not just faulty? If they took the bad device back and got a new one from the stock the store had, it is likely that it is from the same batch. Which would mean the same hardware. Unfortunately, faulty devices do get out of the factory and it's only when someone uses them that it is discovered.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #64
Rkob
Reader
Rkob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And how do we know that the the first Libra 2 that @Rkob was not just faulty?
I agree that the first device I got looked pretty faulty, even though we'll never know for sure.

Quote:
If they took the bad device back and got a new one from the stock the store had, it is likely that it is from the same batch. Which would mean the same hardware. Unfortunately, faulty devices do get out of the factory and it's only when someone uses them that it is discovered.
The store did not have any stock, so the second device I got as a replacement had to be ordered.
The serial numbers for the first and the second were very different, and they did not come with the same firmware installed out of the box, so I assumed they were not from the same batch.
If it means anything, the second Libra 2 had a higher serial number (so may be produced later?).
Rkob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #65
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Quote:
And how do we know that the the first Libra 2 that @Rkob was not just faulty? If they took the bad device back and got a new one from the stock the store had, it is likely that it is from the same batch. Which would mean the same hardware. Unfortunately, faulty devices do get out of the factory and it's only when someone uses them that it is discovered.
There have been other reports of "crashing" or "freezing" Libra 2's from other people. I have a new white Libra 2 on 4.32.19608 that freezes occasionally (usually when I'm reading a kepub (I don't use epubs on my Kobo). Anecdotally, it seems to appear when I try to turn pages rapidly. It makes me believe that there may be a subtle memory leak and I'm experimenting with smaller values for page refresh (working on 4 now to see if it helps)

Bottom line here is that my Lbra H20 never froze during more than one year - Libra 2 does.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #66
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Interesting thread. I have not experienced any freezing or crashes at all on my Libra 2 (4.32), including a test of rapid page-turning, forward or backward. All books are epubs and device was one of the earlier units (pre-ordered) from Kobo.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:21 PM   #67
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkob View Post
The store did not have any stock, so the second device I got as a replacement had to be ordered.
I wondered about that from what you said. But, it wouldn't have surprised me if they still came from the same batch. It depends on where it was ordered from.
Quote:
The serial numbers for the first and the second were very different, and they did not come with the same firmware installed out of the box, so I assumed they were not from the same batch.
If it means anything, the second Libra 2 had a higher serial number (so may be produced later?).
A higher serial number usually implies later manufacture. But, things like batch, factory or version can also be in the serial number which muddies things. It might be interesting to the compare the serial numbers from different devices, the results from ntx_hwconfig and the frequency of issues.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:29 PM   #68
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
I wonder if these newer Libra 2 has working leds when charging while sleeping.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote