Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #61
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapoctopus View Post
I was also talking with goodereader staff on this and they told me: "Kobo told me that you can’t write in sideloaded ebooks, they only work with KEPUB, which is kobos proprietary ebook format for DRM files. "
Since you can sideload kepubs, DRM-free, I'm not sure this statement makes any kind of sense.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #62
gigapoctopus
gigapoctopus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Since you can sideload kepubs, DRM-free, I'm not sure this statement makes any kind of sense.
I thought the same...
gigapoctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #63
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's at least two ways to sideload Kepubs, so Good Ereader's statement isn't helpful. (Standard Ebooks lets you legally download old and free books, including in Kepub format. If you use Kobo Touch Extended, you turn Epubs into Kepubs when you put them onto an ereader.) I'm sure someone here can tell me other ways to do so.

I think Good Ereader is implying you can only write on "official" Kepubs from the Kobo store, but some books are sold there without DRM. Giganticoctopus did testing, and it seems the book requires DRM if you want to write on it.

Last edited by Joliet Jake; 10-22-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #64
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Still waiting for my Sage to be delivered here, but as it is now nearly 8PM on a Friday I don't expect it to be delivered until Monday or Tuesday next week. Oddly or perhaps not considering this is Kobo, the Kobo web site says my Sage has been delivered, yet Canada Post says it is still in Montreal where it has been sitting since 9:21 AM on Tuesday! As it happens I will be out of town next week so the earliest I will see my Sage is likely Nov. 1 when I get back home.

Also just got email from Kobo that my Sage has shipped and that the cover will be delayed by a week. I'm not sure why they couldn't have sent that email when they shipped the Sage 4 days ago, but this is typical of Kobo shipping as the exact same thing happened with delivery of the Elipsa earlier this year. I shouldn't have expected any different this time around.

I love my Kobo devices but Kobo, why oh why do you still use Canada Post for deliveries?

Last edited by jiminrussell; 10-22-2021 at 08:06 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #65
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Does Kobo Canada online store charge taxes for a purchase on top of the srp?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
There's at least two ways to sideload Kepubs, so Good Ereader's statement isn't helpful. (Standard Ebooks lets you legally download old and free books, including in Kepub format. If you use Kobo Touch Extended, you turn Epubs into Kepubs when you put them onto an ereader.) I'm sure someone here can tell me other ways to do so.

I think Good Ereader is implying you can only write on "official" Kepubs from the Kobo store, but some books are sold there without DRM. Giganticoctopus did testing, and it seems the book requires DRM if you want to write on it.
Strictly, Kobo does not support sideloading kepubs. At least not for everyday use. The only reference to sideloading as kepub is in the guide for preparing books for the Kobo store. And that is just about helping to see what the book will look like. There is no reference to adding the spans that are needed for them to work properly. Or any other reference buy Kobo to support the format. They do work, and I don't think actual support will be removed. But, it wouldn't surprise me if the main reason it works is because the actual developers want it (makes some testing easier).

For annotations using the stylus, Kobo stated with the Elipsa that it would work with sideloaded epubs and PDFs. No mention of kepubs was made. I don't know if that was a deliberate choice or something missed somewhere. That it is not working for epubs with firmware 4.29.18730 on the Sage, is an error. Or at least, that is the feedback I have from Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #67
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Still waiting for my Sage to be delivered here, but as it is now nearly 8PM on a Friday I don't expect it to be delivered until Monday or Tuesday next week. Oddly or perhaps not considering this is Kobo, the Kobo web site says my Sage has been delivered, yet Canada Post says it is still in Montreal where it has been sitting since 9:21 AM on Tuesday! As it happens I will be out of town next week so the earliest I will see my Sage is likely Nov. 1 when I get back home.

Also just got email from Kobo that my Sage has shipped and that the cover will be delayed by a week. I'm not sure why they couldn't have sent that email when they shipped the Sage 4 days ago, but this is typical of Kobo shipping as the exact same thing happened with delivery of the Elipsa earlier this year. I shouldn't have expected any different this time around.

I love my Kobo devices but Kobo, why oh why do you still use Canada Post for deliveries?
The website is misleading. The “delivered” bit is (I believe) meant to be a progress bar of it being delivered. If you look I’d bet that the arrows on the right side aren’t filled in.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:41 AM   #68
gigapoctopus
gigapoctopus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Strictly, Kobo does not support sideloading kepubs. At least not for everyday use. The only reference to sideloading as kepub is in the guide for preparing books for the Kobo store. And that is just about helping to see what the book will look like. There is no reference to adding the spans that are needed for them to work properly. Or any other reference buy Kobo to support the format. They do work, and I don't think actual support will be removed. But, it wouldn't surprise me if the main reason it works is because the actual developers want it (makes some testing easier).

For annotations using the stylus, Kobo stated with the Elipsa that it would work with sideloaded epubs and PDFs. No mention of kepubs was made. I don't know if that was a deliberate choice or something missed somewhere. That it is not working for epubs with firmware 4.29.18730 on the Sage, is an error. Or at least, that is the feedback I have from Kobo.
Kobo does state that kepubs will work with both Elipsa and Sage at https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...th-Kobo-Stylus
"While reading, you can write and highlight on the page just like a real book. For example, you can write on the margins and circle key words.
Note: Kobo Stylus only works with Kobo Sage and Kobo Elipsa.
Supported file types
You can use your Kobo Stylus to write notes on these files:
  • Kobo ePub (.kepub)
  • ePub (.epub)
  • PDF (.pdf)
Note :Your Kobo Stylus cannot write notes on DRM-Protected PDF files and PDF files that disables annotations and markups.
"
gigapoctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I’ve ordered the Black SleepCover now too. I thought the Black might age better than the Light Green. I don’t like the light grey inner but I’m worried about not having a case.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:52 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapoctopus View Post
Kobo does state that kepubs will work with both Elipsa and Sage at https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...th-Kobo-Stylus
"While reading, you can write and highlight on the page just like a real book. For example, you can write on the margins and circle key words.
Note: Kobo Stylus only works with Kobo Sage and Kobo Elipsa.
Supported file types
You can use your Kobo Stylus to write notes on these files:
  • Kobo ePub (.kepub)
  • ePub (.epub)
  • PDF (.pdf)
Note :Your Kobo Stylus cannot write notes on DRM-Protected PDF files and PDF files that disables annotations and markups.
"
The problem with that is that if you try to sideload a book with the extension ".kepub", it will be ignored. You need to have ".kepub.epub". And when you download a kepub from their server, it does not have an extension.

If you look at the specs for the device, it has:

Quote:
15 file formats supported natively (EPUB, EPUB3, FlePub, PDF, MOBI, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR)
And I've always thought it was fun that Kobo ePubs are not mentioned. Which means they don't support their own format. But, I think it is supposed to mean what formats can be sideloaded.

From this, there is either a mistake in the guide where someone added "(.kepub"), or a bug in the firmware that is not handling that as an extension. If the latter, it has been that way for a long time. To my mind it is the documentation. None of the extensions should have been included above. They are not needed and, as we can see, just confuse things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #71
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I just got a message from Fnac (France) that the Sage was waiting for me. I received an email with the invoice yesterday, so I thought it might be arriving soon, but I am surprised that it has not been debited yet. Perhaps because the cover is not available yet. No problem since my next holidays will be in January.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:15 AM   #72
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I’ve ordered the Black SleepCover now too. I thought the Black might age better than the Light Green. I don’t like the light grey inner but I’m worried about not having a case.
Hi Josie, I went for the green one, as I like a more colourful cover. Still no news on mine, still showing as processed.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #73
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Hi Josie, I went for the green one, as I like a more colourful cover. Still no news on mine, still showing as processed.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
The Light Green is nice, I was debating over which colour to go for. I keep checking status on mine but tbh I’m not expecting any quick shipments.

I paid with a credit card and have been debited so it’s paid for.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #74
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I ordered a Libra 2 and cover from Kobo UK on the 20th, after seeing the first impressions here, thank you. Apologies for polluting the Sage order thread.

It will be my Christmas present from my husband, who I frankly didn't trust to get the order right. I'd have ended up with the libra original or some other inferior product from a Kobo competitor had I left it up to him to order.

You can't risk these important things going wrong, can you? I mean, it's one thing when I ask him to get frozen breaded chicken for tea and he comes back with diced fresh; this is a whole other league.

Just as John and Josie have reported I've seen no movement on the order yet. It shows confirmation on the Kobo website and they have taken the money according to online banking.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #75
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
To all those posting late deliveries here, did you order from rakuten kobo (online) in canada? The reason i asked is becausr i intend to order from the canada store since it will be a bit cheaer (better exchange rate for our Peso currency) than the US dollar if i were to order from amazon.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote