Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #61
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Rant on.

So to get the full benefit of the new typesetting engine I have to go to the Amazon site and look up each of the 2,138 Kindle books I have to see if it's been "enhanced".

Then I have to redownload each one of them and check to see if it really has been.

Then I have to add the new files to Calibre and add a new custom column to specify whether or not each book has been enhanced.

Then I have to delete and re-send any books currently on my Kindle.

Then, periodically, I have to repeat the process for all hitherto un-enhanced books.

No typesetting on earth is good enough for me to go through all that.

Rant off.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Then I have to add the new files to Calibre and add a new custom column to specify whether or not each book has been enhanced.

Then I have to delete and re-send any books currently on my Kindle.
No, you can't do that. Sideloaded books do not (currently, at least) support the new typesetting engine. Only books downloaded directly to the Kindle from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #63
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only books downloaded directly to the Kindle from Amazon.
Including Personal Documents?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Including Personal Documents?
I don't believe that Enhanced Typesetting is currently available for Personal Documents, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
An added note:
The 'FONT_RAMP' feature is reported to still be working on 5.6.5 firmware.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=94
(Does not require a jail break - it is an Amazon provided feature.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #66
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
No, you can't do that. Sideloaded books do not (currently, at least) support the new typesetting engine. Only books downloaded directly to the Kindle from Amazon.
Well then, nevermind.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I should have never redownloaded two books. Now I have hyphens, but the narrowest margin setting now looks too wide!!! What the heck is going on?
I haven't updated yet. Is anyone else having the same problems as SCION with margins? Thanks in advance.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I haven't updated yet. Is anyone else having the same problems as SCION with margins? Thanks in advance.
I've updated my Voyage, and margins look exactly the same as they did before.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirewire View Post
Will the jailbreak live for the jailbroken kindle paperwhite 2?
It usually does, due to the fact that it is bridged through a boot-time job which is in the /var/local/ partition.
There was that scare with fw5.6.x when Amazon started running Active Content as a non-root user, but the jailbreak was still there -- and it was updated to include a working and accessible sudo.

Nevertheless, confirmation is always good, and we have it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_carlos View Post
Good news guys, i just updated my PW2 to 5.6.5, and the JB survived it, everything is working so far.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@disconnected is referring specifically to books downloaded from Amazon and sideloaded via USB, optionally with calibre acting as a file manager. Do you have any specific reason to think that will not work, above and beyond mere calibre-converted books?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@disconnected is referring specifically to books downloaded from Amazon and sideloaded via USB, optionally with calibre acting as a file manager. Do you have any specific reason to think that will not work, above and beyond mere calibre-converted books?
People have previously reported that downloading "Enhanced Typesetting Enabled" books with K4PC, and copying those books to the Kindle exhibits no enhancements. Whether downloading books to a Kindle and going from there to Calibre would work or not, time will tell. I've love to be wrong in my view that it's unlikely to work!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #72
rowanmoor
rowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Having just updated my Voyage I re-downloaded a book with the enhanced typesetting supported and it downloaded a KFX file instead of the AZW3 it had before. Calibre cannot see the KFX file on the Voyage when connected to it - presumably because it doesn't support KFX files. Importing the book to calibre manually shows it as an entry in the list, but nothing more because it can't handle the format.

Presumably manually copying the book from the kindle into calibre and then back to another kindle would work, but it would be using calibre as nothing more than a clunky file manage for DRMed books.

This KFX format book is showing the new features like hyphenation and ligatures on the Voyage.

I guess the tools will need to be updated to support the new file format.
rowanmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #73
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It took me a couple of tries to find a book in my library that exhibits the advanced typesetting features. The first two I tried by deleting and re-downloading to my PW2 didn't show anything new despite being marked as Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled in the description.

The third I tried does show the new ragged right margin at larger font sizes and hyphenation. I looked in my Kindle's documents folder and found the working book with a 'kfx' extension instead of 'azw' or 'azw3'. Does this indicate a new format for Kindle books?
I can confirm that books with enhanced typesetting are sent to my updated PW3 with a different file extension (kfx) and this new filetype is not recognized by Calibre when I look under "device" with the Kindle connected.

When I copy the book to my hard drive from the computer and change the file extension from .kfx to .azw3 and then try to import it, it appears to be imported with no issue, but when I try to open it in Calibre, I get an error:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.7.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Unknown book type: '\x81\xc4\xde\x02\x9d\x8c#\x01'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 37, in run
File "threading.py", line 763, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 98, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 33, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi6.py", line 82, in __init__
MobiError: Unknown book type: '\x81\xc4\xde\x02\x9d\x8c#\x01'
(maybe this part needs to be split out and posted in the Calibre part of the forum?)

Next test is to update my Voyage and see if I can take the file from my PW3 and put it onto my Voyage (test to see if Alf's tools worked on the .kfx file)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It would be worth uploading a free sample book in the Calibre forum to see if Kovid (or anyone else) can reverse-engineer the format so that Calibre can support it.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
People have previously reported that downloading "Enhanced Typesetting Enabled" books with K4PC, and copying those books to the Kindle exhibits no enhancements. Whether downloading books to a Kindle and going from there to Calibre would work or not, time will tell. I've love to be wrong in my view that it's unlikely to work!
I would've predicted ahead of time that there will be a difference.

Enhanced typesetting has been enabled on various books for some time now. If people need to redownload that means Amazon is changing something on the fly for enabled books on enabled devices.

Which means that if K4PC doesn't support Enhanced Typesetting, it is IMHO naïve to expect K4PC-downloaded books sideloaded to a supported device to have Enhanced Typesetting.

Just my $0.02