Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #661
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have done a quick test and I am not seeing the problem. Could you run calibre in debug mode, upload a couple of covers and post the log? Hopefully the log will show what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #662
srichard
srichard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Attached Calibre log run in debug mode with two covers uploaded.
Sorry, a few messages from Calibre are in French...
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre_log.txt (22.0 KB, 542 views)
srichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #663
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That makes it look like the ImageId stored in the database is blank. To check this, I need to see the database. If you could put it somewhere I can download it, and send me a PM with the link. Or, if you would prefer to email it to me, send me a PM and I'll send you the email address to use.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #664
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
David, I saw that with your plugin I can select the device's font. That's pretty fine. I added a custom font to the root of the device, creating a folder named "fonts" with the font in it. This will be recognized by the device, and I can select it directly there. But the font doesn't appear in your plugin's list. Is there a way to let it detect the custom folder as well?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #665
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
David, I saw that with your plugin I can select the device's font. That's pretty fine. I added a custom font to the root of the device, creating a folder named "fonts" with the font in it. This will be recognized by the device, and I can select it directly there. But the font doesn't appear in your plugin's list. Is there a way to let it detect the custom folder as well?
Sorry, not at the moment. The fonts listed in the plugin is hard coded and from the list I see on my devices. And I haven't checked recently that they are still the correct list.

I'll add this to my todo list. I haven't written much code that looks at fonts, but , it shouldn't be to hard.
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #666
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
O. k. Thank you!
For the reasons you mentioned it wouldn't either be possible to add a custom font to the internal font folder of the device (i. e. of Kobo itself), right?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #667
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

You can add fonts to the internal folders on the device, but I have no idea whether the device would use them. But, the plugin can't see them. That's why the list is hard-coded. Any fonts added to the fonts directory in the visible partition could be read and added to the list. That's what I am thinking of doing.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #668
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Hi! I don't know if it is just me but since upgrading to OS X Yosemite, I get a "failed backing up Kobo device database" alert whenever I connect my Kobo Aura to Calibre (I've set it to backup automatically once the reader is detected). Here are the details I got whenever I do so:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.6.0 (darwin, isfrozen: True)
Failed to backup device database: Failed: Backing up Kobo device database

*** in database main ***
Multiple uses for byte 602 of page 53116
row 3437 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 3849 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 5807 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 5977 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 6512 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 7526 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.jobs", line 181, in do_device_database_backup
Exception:
*** in database main ***
Multiple uses for byte 602 of page 53116
row 3437 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 3849 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 5807 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 5977 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 6512 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
row 7526 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_Event_1
I'm quite positive that it has something to do with the new OS, since I was able to backup and sideload pubs just before I upgraded the OS. Is there a fix for this? What's weird is that when I go to KoboUtilities>Database>Backup Device Database, it works with no problem at all.

Last edited by melovesflying; 10-21-2014 at 11:58 AM.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #669
srichard

Yes it seems that Calibre does not like kepub that much.
In Calibre database, in table books, attribute has_cover is 1 for all epub files and 0 for all kepub files.
I asked Calibre to generate new covers for a few books that are in kepub format, Calibre updated has_cover to 1 for those files but images upload to device still does not work...
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #670
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Hi! I don't know if it is just me but since upgrading to OS X Yosemite, I get a "failed backing up Kobo device database" alert whenever I connect my Kobo Aura to Calibre (I've set it to backup automatically once the reader is detected). Here are the details I got whenever I do so:

I'm quite positive that it has something to do with the new OS, since I was able to backup and sideload pubs just before I upgraded the OS. Is there a fix for this? What's weird is that when I go to KoboUtilities>Database>Backup Device Database, it works with no problem at all.
Those errors indicate the database is corrupt. My usual suggestion to fix this is to either restore a good backup of the database or do a logout and login on the device. The latter will generate a new database and then process all the books.

But, because all of the errors shown are related to an index, doing a compress of the database might fix it. I can't guarantee that it will work, but you won't be in a worse position afterwards than you are at the moment. Use the compress function in the plugin and then run the database check. If neither have an error, then it should be OK.

This shouldn't be related to the new OS, unless it isn't ejecting the device properly. Or is accessing it differently than before.

As to the manual backup not showing the errors, that is because it doesn't do the checking. The automatic backup checks the database after copying it to the PC. Hence you get this error and the file will have "CORRUPT" as part of the name. The manual backup simply copies the file. It was a quick and dirty solution I added a long time ago. I'll have to have a look at it.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #671
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the errors are in indexes, would dropping them and recreating them help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #672
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichard View Post
Yes it seems that Calibre does not like kepub that much.
In Calibre database, in table books, attribute has_cover is 1 for all epub files and 0 for all kepub files.
I asked Calibre to generate new covers for a few books that are in kepub format, Calibre updated has_cover to 1 for those files but images upload to device still does not work...
I am sure that is not what is causing the problem you are seeing. From the log you posted, the driver/plugin are not generating the correct name on the device. This name is made up of an ImageId and a suffix. The ImageId should be coming from the database on the device. But, the ImageId appears to be empty and hence only the suffix is being use when the covers are generated. The ImageId being blank is extremely strange. That is why I want to look at the database.

And sorry for not making it clear which database I want. I'm so used to asking for the database from the device that I sometimes forget to make it clear.

But, in saying that calibre doesn't like kepubs, you are correct. Calibre does not have full support for kepub as a format. There is a third-party plugin to convert to kepub, the Kobo drivers can send it to devices and the viewer will treat a kepub as an epub. But, there is no support to get the metadata or cover from a kepub. Or convert from kepub to other formats. A lot of this is because unless you have a Kobo device the format is pointless. And to convert, all you need to do is make the extension "epub".
Old 10-22-2014, 02:29 AM   #673
srichard

I used to transfer kepub using Kobo software and everything was fine. But I cannot anymore because of a problem on Kobo server side they are not fixing quickly. That is the main reason why I use Calibre for kepub now, the only problem is the cover (but I can ultimately live with that). I tried to convert to epub, but this way I miss the pop-up footnotes on the device (and for books with plenty of footnotes, it is terrible to navigate between text and book end, with hyperlink not working).
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #674
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, I know what is going on.

Firstly, when looked at the database, it was as I expected. For most of the books, the ImageID is blank. The only ones that weren't blank where the purchased kepubs and the epubs. None of the sideloaded kepubs had ImageIds. That means that none of these would have covers and because the ImageId is missing, the uploads methods would also fail.

The reason the ImageId's are missing is because the covers are handled differently for kepubs than they are for epubs. For an epub, the cover is the first page. The device renders the first page and saves that as an image. For purchased kepubs, the cover comes from the server. But, for sideloaded kepubs, the cover is the image marked as the cover in the book.

The way the device finds the cover is by looking in the OPF file. For kepub, there should be an image in the manifest with the attribute 'properties="cover-image"'. If the no image has that attribute, the default cover is used and no ImageID is stored in the database. All purchased kepubs have the attribute. If you send an epub to the device using the KoboTouchExtended driver, it should add the attribute. But, it can only do this if it can find the cover image. The driver tries this in a couple of ways. Usually, it is successful, but occasionally, it isn't.

As none of your sideloaded kepubs have the attribute, I suspect you haven't used the extended driver to get them onto the device. Did you send the epubs and rename them? Or include ".kepub" in the save template in the driver? Either of these would cause the problem you are seeing.

As partial solution at this point is to install the extended driver and connect the device. The extended driver has a function to look for books with empty ImageIds and generate the expected id and update the database. After that, you should be able to use the utilities plugin to upload the missing covers.

After that, you need to decide how to send the books and what format to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichard View Post
I used to transfer kepub using Kobo software and everything was fine. But I cannot anymore because of a problem on Kobo server side they are not fixing quickly. That is the main reason why I use Calibre for kepub now, the only problem is the cover (but I can ultimately live with that). I tried to convert to epub, but this way I miss the pop-up footnotes on the device (and for books with plenty of footnotes, it is terrible to navigate between text and book end, with hyperlink not working).
I'm not sure what you are doing. What problem do Kobo have with the server? Is some book not syncing to the device, but it is to the desktop app? Where are the kepubs coming from? The desktop app or from a conversion in calibre? Either of these should have the cover defined properly. If they don't, I'd like to see an example book so I can try an work out what is happening.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #675
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Those errors indicate the database is corrupt. My usual suggestion to fix this is to either restore a good backup of the database or do a logout and login on the device. The latter will generate a new database and then process all the books.

But, because all of the errors shown are related to an index, doing a compress of the database might fix it. I can't guarantee that it will work, but you won't be in a worse position afterwards than you are at the moment. Use the compress function in the plugin and then run the database check. If neither have an error, then it should be OK.

This shouldn't be related to the new OS, unless it isn't ejecting the device properly. Or is accessing it differently than before.

As to the manual backup not showing the errors, that is because it doesn't do the checking. The automatic backup checks the database after copying it to the PC. Hence you get this error and the file will have "CORRUPT" as part of the name. The manual backup simply copies the file. It was a quick and dirty solution I added a long time ago. I'll have to have a look at it.
First did the compress method but I still got an error, although it was only one and the previous ones were gone. So I did the logout and login method next but when I realised that some of my data, particularly the Reading Stats, were gone, I just decided to go back to my last good backup so that I can still get the stats. It worked but I ended up losing some of my covers but the plugin managed to fix it. Lengthy process but it's all good.

Thanks for the tip!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins