Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #586
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The "complete"/manual one will (check Kobo's help pages for your device). The one available in the Settings on newer FW won't.

i.e., if it doesn't drop you back to a truly old FW version, that ain't it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #587
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just to be sure you can check afterwards if .adds/koreader still exists, but unless they've changed something about the factory reset in the past few years it'll simply clear out everything..
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #588
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Frenzie: They did ^^. The "new" one barely does anything more than a logout, IIRC.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #589
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
And they still call it a factory reset? That seems odd then.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #590
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
And they still call it a factory reset? That seems odd then.
It formats the book partition and it might remove any configuration from the root partition. But, it is not anywhere near as thorough as what Kobo is now calling a manual reset.

If you have the developer mode turned on, the full factory reset on the Developer options screen. I generally do that as it is the easiest method if the device is working. And it save me remembering how to do it otherwise for my different devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #591
asheny
asheny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for the help, used the 'manual' reset (though it took a fair few more presses with a paper-clip to trigger it than the manual said).

Then did an update again to the latest firmware before logging out (since the factory firmware fails at the update stage if you try to set up via wi-fi rather than via Kobo Desktop).

Last edited by asheny; 06-21-2021 at 06:37 PM.
asheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #592
serdar0020
Zealot
serdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One limited ed. 2017-32 GB + Kobo Clara 2E 2022
version 2021.06 allows me for the first time to power off my device with the hardware button and the poweroff image shows (no longer the frozen homescreen). Great
serdar0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #593
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar0020 View Post
version 2021.06 allows me for the first time to power off my device with the hardware button and the poweroff image shows (no longer the frozen homescreen). Great
I was excited to read this and updated to 21.06 only to find no change in the powered off screen. The way it looks in the attached screenshot is the way it looked before the update including the "flip" back to right-handed portrait alignment that happens every time I power off from the locked left-handed portrait alignment that is my default
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210627_215445.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	187895  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #594
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@serdar0020: I'm not quite sure what you're talking about? (As in, the last round of ScreenSavers fixes landed in an earlier release, not this one).

@Uncle Robin: And I'm not quite sure what you were expecting either, but that picture looks like the expected output, provided you're actually using the book status (or whatever it's actually called ^^) screensaver option .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-27-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #595
KoboFormaMX
KoboFormaMX began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
It's almost July 2021 My Kobo Forma arrives tomorrow. What I need to install if I'm almost a Big Bird human clone.
KoboFormaMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #596
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboFormaMX View Post
It's almost July 2021 My Kobo Forma arrives tomorrow. What I need to install if I'm almost a Big Bird human clone.
Nothing

Use it natively and see what you like and dislike. Only then get into mods of any type

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #597
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@serdar0020: I'm not quite sure what you're talking about? (As in, the last round of ScreenSavers fixes landed in an earlier release, not this one).

@Uncle Robin: And I'm not quite sure what you were expecting either, but that picture looks like the expected output, provided you're actually using the book status (or whatever it's actually called ^^) screensaver option .

Yeah, it wasn't a complaint, I was just curious because my Nickel 'powered off' screen is a custom screensaver, and I thought the OP might have meant the update now used that image. The inversion, otoh IS a bit of a PITA. It would be nice if powering off didn't flip the orientation
Old 06-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #598
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, okay .

FWIW, that wouldn't be even remotely possible .

----

The reasoning behind reboot/poweroff enforcing the canonical rotation is that reboot is a transitory state, and that the boot process will go back to said canonical rotation anyway; and that poweroff is *not*: you're only supposed to power it off when you put it in storage, at which point the rotation becomes meaningless.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #599
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, okay .

FWIW, that wouldn't be even remotely possible .

----

The reasoning behind reboot/poweroff enforcing the canonical rotation is that reboot is a transitory state, and that the boot process will go back to said canonical rotation anyway; and that poweroff is *not*: you're only supposed to power it off when you put it in storage, at which point the rotation becomes meaningless.

The reason my device ends up powered off more often that it "should" is simply that the button is on the right side of the device and I have less control of my right hand, so often end up pressing the button longer than intended, powering off instead of sleeping.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #600
serdar0020
Zealot
serdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One limited ed. 2017-32 GB + Kobo Clara 2E 2022
my post about the power-off screen was a false hope, I only managed to get the hardware button to work once, now it's back to the frozen homescreen, but I can always power off from the KoReader, then it works

here's another nut to crack, a huge OCR'd pdf that has all the footnotes in the margin. Reflow text / two column mode messed it up, I only just managed to read on my 7,8" reader in non-reflow landscape mode
Spoiler:

serdar0020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato