Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #46
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
"You vary obviously failed to look at the headers I am sending in the reply." They do NOT matter when using a proxy for HTTP or a proxy which breaks SSL for HTTPS.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #47
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

PW2, right? Did you follow https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18664 or where did you get the jailbreak.bin file from?
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
"You vary obviously failed to look at the headers I am sending in the reply." They do NOT matter when using a proxy for HTTP or a proxy which breaks SSL for HTTPS.
There is no need for a proxy, that is why we use a server at major internet backbone hubs.

If someone uses one, it is their own fault.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #49
Yourcat
Groupie

Ack. Some companies enforce their usage and some AI download tools support proxies for faster downloads.
At home I use a transparent proxy to filter various things.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #50
symphonybug
Dewhopper
symphonybug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite-2 (2013)
Quote:
PW2, right? Did you follow https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18664 or where did you get the jailbreak.bin file from?
Yes... Its PW2... This is the thread i used https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645...
I so badly wanna see my kindle jailbroken... thanx for helping...
symphonybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 AM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonybug View Post
Like you said Sir. Ditched IDM...
Logged into UBUNTU, used wget to download the file... Never ever thought it was due to the download manager which is revered like god.exe in Windows world...

PS: Although I must admit that its a damn old IDM version.. They always asks me to update and I skip... also I have lately experienced bad iso of ubuntu being downloaded. Which i thought was the problem from "their" end... now i understand the drawbacks of the speedy looking IDM..
There is nothing wrong with using something like IDM (IIRC I have used the similar tool Free Download Manager on Windows).
My go-to download tool on Linux is aria2 (the most awesome CLI download program of all), which also supports parallel downloads and cleverly figures out when to (try to) resume a download... the trick is knowing when a server doesn't support a feature which, ideally, all servers would support.
And FWIW, aria2 gracefully handles servers which don't support resumed downloads -- it doesn't create a control file, which means it won't by default try resuming, and also doesn't open multiple connections even when told to try.

knc1, at least one of the official mirrors (US-East) does support partial content --mediafire.
But the Europe one doesn't, the primary one uses a confirmation screen so no CLI downloads anyway, and the US-West mirror keeps giving 503 errors.

So, err, not strictly true? But still very good advice, since it is unpredictable.

Also, why on earth don't more download tools, especially something like Safari, know how to recognize servers which don't support partial content?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonybug View Post
Yes... Its PW2... This is the thread i used https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645...
I so badly wanna see my kindle jailbroken... thanx for helping...
Have you successfully downgraded to 5.4.3.2 yet?
Old 09-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #53
symphonybug
Dewhopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have you successfully downgraded to 5.4.3.2 yet?
Yes Sir, then installed the jailbreak too for one time... but didnt notice ***JAILBREAK*** sign anywhere. afterwards, the KUAL azw2 file which i extracted into documents didnt open, giving "it is not signed" something error... and i tried installing JAILBREAK again... and from that moment onward, I have been getting this error... have reset my device... followed the entire thread several times... but the same error..
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

So you tried NiLuJe's "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip" method for firmware 5.0.x-5.4.4.2 devices.

I assume you properly unzipped the "kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip" file, and then unzipped the "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip" which it contained, and then copied the multiple files within to the root of your Kindle... just like the instructions said?

So, what happened when you tried to use the Update Your Kindle menu?
And, did the files you copied disappear?

And, what is the exact error KUAL gave -- none of that "something" error, please.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-04-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #55
symphonybug
Dewhopper

Quote:
So you tried NiLuJe's "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip" method for firmware 5.0.x-5.4.4.2 devices.

I assume you properly unzipped the ":kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip" file, and then unzipped the "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip" which it contained, and then copied the multiple files within to the root of your Kindle... just like the instructions said?

So, what happened when you tried to use the Update Your Kindle menu?
And, did the files you copied disappear?

And, what is the exact error KUAL gave -- none of that "something" error, please.
Sir, thanx so much for the help. I didnt extract it for the second time... Now i can see the **JAILBREAK*** message. Sorry for bothering everyone here... THANX ...
After the reboot, I could see some new files namely, mkk, rp, the jailbreak zip files.. i assume, i should not touch them..

Last edited by symphonybug; 09-04-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 AM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Happy to help.

And please remember to thoroughly read the instructions next time... of course, you are nowhere near the only person who makes that mistake, so while from a helpdesk perspective it may be a little frustrating for us to have to repeat that, at least you may rest assured that you are not really any more of a "troublemaker" than a lot of other people.

Note how my question specifically asked whether you extracted it the second time -- I suspected that might be the problem, I've seen it before.

We won't hold it against you.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-04-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #57
Yourcat
Groupie

Another screenshot showing how /mnt/us | local USB drive should look before trying to update may help to avoid this issue ... and make the instructions longer.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #58
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another screenshot showing how /mnt/us | local USB drive should look before trying to update may help to avoid this issue ... and make the instructions longer.
My instructions do not have screenshots.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #59
Yourcat
Groupie

@knc1: I know.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645 by NiLuJe has one. Often images explain things better than 1000 words. And they allow simple verification of the given steps. Likely a Nice-To-Have.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with using something like IDM (IIRC I have used the similar tool Free Download Manager on Windows).
I can not guess at how similar the two tools are.
But of note:
The licensed version of IDM uses multiple, parallel, connections.
The un-licensed version does not.
Quote:
My go-to download tool on Linux is aria2 (the most awesome CLI download program of all), which also supports parallel downloads and cleverly figures out when to (try to) resume a download... the trick is knowing when a server doesn't support a feature which, ideally, all servers would support.
In general, yes and in general, they do.
What we have here is a "corner case" (in technical terms) or a "loss leader" (in marketing terms).
More to follow. . .
Quote:
And FWIW, aria2 gracefully handles servers which don't support resumed downloads -- it doesn't create a control file, which means it won't by default try resuming, and also doesn't open multiple connections even when told to try.

knc1, at least one of the official mirrors (US-East) does support partial content --mediafire.
Undocumented support as far I as I have been able to find.

But note that we are not using the old 'free' account, the mediafire account now in use is 'paid' service.
See: The more to follow . . . .
Quote:
But the Europe one doesn't, the primary one uses a confirmation screen so no CLI downloads anyway, and the US-West mirror keeps giving 503 errors.
This is the first report of 503 errors.
I own US-West - I'll look into it.
Quote:
So, err, not strictly true? But still very good advice, since it is unpredictable.

Also, why on earth don't more download tools, especially something like Safari, know how to recognize servers which don't support partial content?
A really good question, I thought that 'super fast' download tools had all been fixed after the Internet wide fiasco of FF 'flash downloader'.

I suspect there is a config or environment setting to control that behavior in MacOSx -
There is one to disable the 'auto open' of known archives.
It is mentioned in the JB thread by a MacOSx user.

But I don't know MacOSx and no one that does has offered that information.

My information about Windows is almost as bad off.
I stopped using it at Win95 and stopped following it at Win-XP.

The more to follow thing:

1: My overall disclaimer:
It did not occur to me that there would be this sort of problem, like yourself, I thought all servers had been dragged into the 21st century by now.

2: IDM
I had never heard of it before now.
I have been doing some reading about it since the problem has been mentioned.
The quote from IDM was found at the start of my reading about it.

Of note:
The licensed version is the only version that opens multiple, parallel connections to the same file.
The unlicensed version(s) are single connection downloaders.
(A marketing incentive to sell users a license.)

3: The free file sharing market:
This is part of my recently learned knowledge -
learned the hard way (by spending (non-refundable) money on services that will not meet our requirements).

There are two things that can be sold in this corner of the market:

File storage space.
File transfer bandwidth.
Either or both (usually both) have some operational limits set for the "Free" (as in "Free Lunch") accounts.

Paid accounts have some, or all, of the limits removed.

The 'Super Fast' downloaders use the 'byte-range:' header to segment a large file into more than one connection and run them in parallel.
The object is to saturate the available bandwidth of the client's connection.

For discussion, let us say from 3 to 5 concurrent connections.

Now suppose that all clients of a server are using such downloaders - -

All of a sudden, a server that could easily handle 250 concurrent transfers can now only handle 50.

If your marketing plan includes "unlimited bandwidth" (either for "Free" or for "Pay") then you have just made a 5x increase in your physical plant (hardware, hardware environment, network connections, operating space, support personal, etc) requirements.

So some servers operations have the number of PtoF (point to file) connections limited.
The "Free" accounts almost always do.
What you get with "Pay" accounts varies.

If your marketing plan includes "unlimited storage" (or some ridiculously large amount) -
Then you make you money on the transfer bandwidth sold.

(Putting another disk drive in the hardware bay is a one-time expense, file transfers are a recurring expense).

But note: the "unlimited storage" accounts (paid or free) often have other, hidden, limits.
Such as no practical way to get large files onto the system.
At least for customers who consider an upload time measured in hours "impractical".

= = = =

Summary:
I am learning far more about this particular market than I ever wanted to know.

Now that I know that support for multiple connection downloads is one of our requirements, I'll check the sites we are using and flag (probably color) the geo-names in the JB instructions.

Note:
The service used for the Primary is documented as supporting "download managers".
It also offers the greatest range of features for a very reasonable ($25/year) price.
They are very obviously trying hard to become #2 (behind MediaFire ($48/year) - who is so entrenched in the market that I don't see it ever being displaced).

Last edited by knc1; 09-04-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Tags
downgrade, jailbreak kindle, paperwhite2