Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 AM   #46
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course you can. You can select any font, just as you could before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Yup--the update just adds Bookerly as another font option--it doesn't replace any of the existing fonts. You will still have the option to use "publisher font" if you want to use a font you've embedded into your book.
Thanks!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #47
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm with you on this, Caecelia is still a better font to me, it's a bit darker and thicker than Bookerly.
I'm using Helvicta, it's the only font I am happy with.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #48
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I would prefer Bookerly if it were darker. As my eyes get older the darker fonts are more important.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would prefer Bookerly if it were darker. As my eyes get older the darker fonts are more important.
I agree that it could do with being a little bolder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #50
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes, Helvetica is probably Kindle's darkest font, but I just prefer a serif font for reading books for some odd reason, it's more comfortable for me. Which is really odd since most web pages are sans serif fonts and I don't have a problem with them at all reading on the computer. It's just my (probably quirky) preference to use a serif font for reading books.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, Helvetica is probably Kindle's darkest font, but I just prefer a serif font for reading books for some odd reason, it's more comfortable for me. Which is really odd since most web pages are sans serif fonts and I don't have a problem with them at all reading on the computer. It's just my (probably quirky) preference to use a serif font for reading books.
Not odd at all. There's a very good reason why printed books use serif fonts as a body font almost without exception. Most people do find serif fonts more comfortable to read.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #52
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm downloading it now to transfer to my voyage. That was quick. The new paperwhite has only been out just over a month. I thought it would hold onto the new font feature for a while longer. But hey I'm not complaining.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #53
mfirewire
mfirewire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Extremely doubtful. Nothing has changed on our end, so unless Amazon has decided to make it easier...
Will the jailbreak live for the jailbroken kindle paperwhite 2?
mfirewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #54
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Hmm I still think I prefer Paletino but I'll try the new font for a while.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #55
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I'm with you on this, Caecelia is still a better font to me, it's a bit darker and thicker than Bookerly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Caecelia is the default font isn't it? I'm not really fussy about fonts but either use it or Helvicta because I prefer the darker font. I've recently moved up from size two to three for most books so perhaps like patrickt my eyes are ageing a little and that's why I prefer the darker text and while Bookerly looks quite nice, lighter as it is (like Paletino), I probably won't use it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #56
Hobb
Hobb began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle Paperwhite
I have just updated my new KPW (7th gen) and loaded a sample custom ebook to check if ligatures are supported.

Nothing changed compared to the previous firmware version.

Is there anything that I need to add to the CSS to enable the ligatures? I cannot see them neither with the custom embedded font nor any other font available by default on Kindle, including Bookerly.

I tried adding the following lines:
-webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga";
font-feature-settings: "liga";
font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures;

and the ligatures work in Sigil, but once an epub is converted to azw3 and sent to Kindle, they do not work.

Last edited by Hobb; 08-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Hobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #57
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
None of the features work with sideloaded books.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #58
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It took me a couple of tries to find a book in my library that exhibits the advanced typesetting features. The first two I tried by deleting and re-downloading to my PW2 didn't show anything new despite being marked as Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled in the description.

The third I tried does show the new ragged right margin at larger font sizes and hyphenation. I looked in my Kindle's documents folder and found the working book with a 'kfx' extension instead of 'azw' or 'azw3'. Does this indicate a new format for Kindle books?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #59
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Hmm I still think I prefer Paletino but I'll try the new font for a while.
I thought I must be the only one. I prefer Palatino too.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
None of the features work with sideloaded books.
Or at least nobody has yet discovered what the key is to making the Kindle recognise a book as having "enhanced typesetting" enabled.