Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #556
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i had to get a ruler out and give my dad flashbacks to catholic school in order to get him to stop touching his screen.

now windows 8 will come along and will undo it all.
From reports outlined by our IT department at work, Windows 8 will be the new Vista.

So that wooden ruler might need to become a barge pole in regards to Windows 8
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #557
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleFan1 View Post
How are you measuring that blow?

Hardware specs or sales?
That's such a massive hypothetical that it's not even worth addressing. A hybrid LED/E-ink screen? Just a tich unlikely. And I suspect that B&N and Amazon (and most other businesses) have enough connections that they have some idea as to what technologies are soon to be released.

Frankly, even if they did release such a device, I suspect that the price would leave it in similar circumstances as the Kindle DX--something that is relatively unique and is quite useful, but which is too expensive to create much demand.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #558
KindleFan1
Banned
KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
From reports outlined by our IT department at work, Windows 8 will be the new Vista.
Quote:
So, to lay it all out, we have x86 laptop-replacement Windows 8 tablets on the top end for around $800, the content consumption iPad for anything between $500 and $800, and the content consumption Kindle Fire for $200. Can you spot the odd one out?

When the Kindle Fire comes out on November 15, the iPad — which is currently the most desirable and functional tablet on the market — will very quickly assume an unstable position as the very expensive alternative to the Kindle Fire. Then, when Windows 8 is released in 2012, the iPad will occupy an untenable and almost-defunct position in the middle of the pack. It’s the classic pincer movement!
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-kill-the-ipad
KindleFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #559
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well from reports I have read, the Kindle fire is available only in the US and not the rest of the world, being tied directly and closely into Amazon's ecosystem.

At this time, the iPad is still the best tablet for Aussie coin.

When shopping around for a tablet, the various Android tablets I looked out varied from bloody awful to nice. The Acer Iconia for instance. The Galaxy tab is not available here due to Apple's legal machinations, so for me at least, the iPad got the gong.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #560
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The term notebook is used a lot for a small laptop.
Yeah though Netbooks are the smallest they about the size of a book. My screen is like 10", my sisters is 8". Originally bought to read ebooks on. The glare is ridiculous on it. My sisters got hers for free through one of those prize arcades. She loves it. Mine I bought at Best Buy and was waste of money. $400 All it's good for is not much. Well it run Calibre so I guess that's something.

I'm glad LCD Tablets don't have the glare problem as much which makes me want a Kindle Fire but my mom has won a Crystal view tablet and I'm waiting to see if it worth keeping or go with the Fire. It's android 2.1 but I've yet to see one good review on it. I still read nightly on 3.2" screen before bed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #561
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They use virtual keyboards and I've seen very few people now with netbooks out and about and more with Ipads or Tablets that have very little buttons. Do people even use Laptops anymore? My doctors carries around a tiny netbook instead of a paper file and on campus it's netbooks you see or tablets now.
I work at a university and I see many more laptops than I do tablets or netbooks. The laptops are mostly MacBook Pro or MacBook Air 13 Inch models, so they are still quite portable.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #562
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I work at a university and I see many more laptops than I do tablets or netbooks. The laptops are mostly MacBook Pro or MacBook Air 13 Inch models, so they are still quite portable.
I am seeing it's a local thing around here. That shouldn't surprise me. It's still odd trying to talk to your doctor and you wonder is she playing solitaire or really looking with her stylus at my records. She seems distracted.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #563
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Yeah though Netbooks are the smallest they about the size of a book. My screen is like 10", my sisters is 8". Originally bought to read ebooks on. The glare is ridiculous on it. My sisters got hers for free through one of those prize arcades. She loves it. Mine I bought at Best Buy and was waste of money. $400 All it's good for is not much. Well it run Calibre so I guess that's something.

I'm glad LCD Tablets don't have the glare problem as much which makes me want a Kindle Fire but my mom has won a Crystal view tablet and I'm waiting to see if it worth keeping or go with the Fire. It's android 2.1 but I've yet to see one good review on it. I still read nightly on 3.2" screen before bed.
For those of us who have worked a while with computers, we were used to seeing the smallest computers "notebooks" costing $1,500 to $2,500 and up and these had 10 to 12 inch screens.

It was kind of funny when they "invented" the Netbook with a 10" screen and sold it for $300 to $500.

A Dell Latitude, 12.1" that you might use in a corporation would cost a minimum of $1,200 unless on sale, and would run configured about $1,600 to $2,000.
Similarly a Toshiba.

You could always get a Sony VAIO or other small one from Sony or a favorite of mine: Jujitsu.

Jujitsu.

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/express_buy/index.php

starting Ready to Ship at Discount Price
Lifebook Notebooks
P701 - $999 to $1,699 (12.1")
T731 - $1,549 ( 12.1")
T580 - $999 (10.1)

Lifebook T730 Tablet PC
T730 - $1,199 to $1,749 (12.1")

Other notebooks and Table PCs
Most at 12.1" and 10.1"

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...-notebooks.jsp
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #564
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
It seems like 4th generation of Kindle's have poorer screen than 3rd.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,3040-3.html

comparison pic by theonna @ the ebook org (Sony T1 has "old" Pearl):

Last edited by kartu; 10-04-2011 at 03:23 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #565
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
For those of us who have worked a while with computers, we were used to seeing the smallest computers "notebooks" costing $1,500 to $2,500 and up and these had 10 to 12 inch screens.

It was kind of funny when they "invented" the Netbook with a 10" screen and sold it for $300 to $500.

A Dell Latitude, 12.1" that you might use in a corporation would cost a minimum of $1,200 unless on sale, and would run configured about $1,600 to $2,000.
Similarly a Toshiba.

You could always get a Sony VAIO or other small one from Sony or a favorite of mine: Jujitsu.

Jujitsu.

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/express_buy/index.php

starting Ready to Ship at Discount Price
Lifebook Notebooks
P701 - $999 to $1,699 (12.1")
T731 - $1,549 ( 12.1")
T580 - $999 (10.1)

Lifebook T730 Tablet PC
T730 - $1,199 to $1,749 (12.1")

Other notebooks and Table PCs
Most at 12.1" and 10.1"

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...-notebooks.jsp
I had no idea. I wonder if the netbook my doctor carries around cost that much. It is a touch screen what the clinic people use. Last time I was there my doc's netbook screen suddenly fell back and it almost crashed to the floor. My heart stopped and I jumped to grabbed it but she caught it first.
She yelled at me about being too jumpy and told me to relax. I told her "I am not jumpy. I just almost saw $600 dollars crash to the floor!" Some people just don't understand the affinity I have with computers.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #566
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
It seems like 4th generation of Kindle's have poorer screen than 3rd.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,3040-3.html

comparison pic by theonna @ the ebook org (Sony T1 has "old" Pearl):

Another blog said that too. If it turns out my K4 looks like that I think I will be canceling the touch and getting a T1.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #567
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I had no idea. I wonder if the netbook my doctor carries around cost that much. It is a touch screen what the clinic people use. Last time I was there my doc's netbook screen suddenly fell back and it almost crashed to the floor. My heart stopped and I jumped to grabbed it but she caught it first.
She yelled at me about being too jumpy and told me to relax. I told her "I am not jumpy. I just almost saw $600 dollars crash to the floor!" Some people just don't understand the affinity I have with computers.
If I had to guess I would say it cost 3 times that $600 = $1,800.

Yes the doctors (and others) use the touch screens. One reason is to avoid the mouse or the keyboard pad or pointer.
You wish to put some data or a comment in a box, and you touch it with your finger and the cursor goes there, and then you start typing.

We have used touch screen in industry, in the military, in cockpits, instrument panels for 20 years or more. There were different kinds, but they only became really prolific between 1995 and 2000. You could move a machine around, a robot arm, and select settings or put the data in. Old school. The really new uses are for the public, say the last 5 or 6 years.

Last edited by frahse; 10-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #568
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Then you should know that they were called subnotebooks. My Dell Latitude 420 is a subnotebook and not a notebook. Notebook is just another word for laptop.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #569
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Then you should know that they were called subnotebooks. My Dell Latitude 420 is a subnotebook and not a notebook. Notebook is just another word for laptop.
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #570
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I want a nano-book...um...nanonotebook...nanonote...quantumlapto p...??
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote