Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #31
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I have had people ask me if my Nook was an iPad. It is so funny because the Nook doesn't resemble an iPad at all. I explain what a ereader is and some people know, but most don't get it.
I have more and more people ask me about my Kindle and I stop and have a conversation with them. However, I still get quite a few people pointing at my Kindle and asking if its an iPad.

I just don't know how to answer them. I have an iPad too, so that's not the problem. I find it hard to believe they are real readers and yet they don't know what an ebook reader looks like. On the other hand, they aren't very much into iPads if they think this Kindle is one. I may be unfair, but I conclude that they are iPod fanbois who have heard of the iPad and know it must be cool because its from Apple -- not people who really care about the things that an iPad (or a Kindle) can do.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #32
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
@dwig/wallcraft: Good points, it does make sense hardbacks and novels getting bigger. The bigger a volume is the more they can charge for it. Even though the real value is the content, I think intrinsically people can't help but evaluate worth by size.
When I was a student there was a second-hand bookshop in Sheffield that sold books by weight. There were scales dotted around the store so you could check how much any book would cost.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I have about 4.000 ebooks on my device, and likely a similar number of paper volumes. (The ebooks are easier to count. The pbooks are on shelves, in boxes, and in an offsite storage facility.)

For me, ebooks are an additional format, and not necessarily a replacement for print. I have some books in both formats.

I'm also one of those folks that buys hardcovers (with the latest the new Wheel of Time novel, acquired with an Amazon credit.) But I don't generally carry them around - that's what the ebooks are for - and I don't try to read them in bed, so the issues other folks here raise don't bite me.

I also don't get questions about my device, since I use a PDA, and people probably assume it's a smartphone and I'm playing a game.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote