Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #31
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
No matter how insignificant one thinks it is, when you break the rules, whether they're copyrights, DRM, whatever, you're taking food off someone's table. Now, people may think that Apple or Amazon don't need any more money, and they're right, but that's the agreement you enter into when you license their content (you don't actually ever buy anything).
And note that Amazon gets the mouse's share of the retail, about 30 percent, compared to 70 percent for the author-publisher. You're taking food off the author's table, not Jeff Bezos's. He's perfectly happy in his hot tub.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #32
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I pay for the right to use the library through my taxes. I have chosen to only read ebooks. I also chose to get a kindle. The library doesn't care that I convert the books to read on my kindle - when I asked them why they had a kindle for loan (with a backlist) when you couldn't read library books on a kindle, they didn't know what I was talking about.

Now, so long as I play by the rules with the library (only check on 6 books at a time, only keep them for a maximum of 3 weeks), they are happy. Actually, my increased use of the library makes their stats look good. Unless I were to copy the books and pass them around, no one cares if I convert (strip and convert) the books for my kindle, deleting them when I am done. I have said it before - I would love to see the headline:

Kindle User Arrested for Borrowing Library Books.

In this recessionary period, libraries are undergoing a resurgence. Why should I deny myself what I paid for through my taxes?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Great debate. Where is the popcorn and Soda pop
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This argument will never be resolved, nor will the one about drm stripping rights.

Both have been going on, in one post or another, for years.

Yet........each side persists in trying to convince the other.

I am not neutral, by any means, but have finally learned to just watch....

Keeps me outta trouble.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #35
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Technically (possibly legally, if there's ever a court case) you are doing something wrong by breaking DRM on a library book.

Morally, as long as you do not pass the un-DRMd book on, keep it for longer than the library-loan duration or sell it for a profit, then you're doing nothing wrong.

I'm envious of people who actually have this choice when it comes to e-lending. In the UK, I'm surprised that they don't make me check out stone tablets from the library...
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #36
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I'd have to agree that things aren't always black and white. Searching the web to find pirated ebooks? Bad. Buying a book legally from Amazon? Good. My mom and me both being on the same Amazon account so we can share our kindle books and not buy 2 copies? Fine. Briefly allowing a friend to register to my account just to download one of my books? I think it's fine - others disagree. What if another company comes out with a way cool ereader way better than kindle, and I want to switch? Is it amoral to break the DRM on my books, books I paid for, so I can read them on a different ereader?

Downloading a library book for free to read on Nook? Fine. Reading it on my PC? Fine. Downloading the book and tweaking the file so I can read it on the ereader of my choice? I don't see a big problem if you police yourself and stick to the rules (download limit, time limit, don't share the file).

The author gets paid for the copies the library buys. The author doesn't get any additional money if I read it on my PC rather than my kindle.

Morally, one has to ask what they would do if they couldn't break the DRM. Would they buy the book from Amazon, or would they buy a nook, Sony reader, or some other device for library books (or just read on the PC)? If you would have bought the book from Amazon, then yes, you are hurting the author by breaking the DRM. But if you would have bought a 2nd ereader (or just a library-capable ereader in the first place), then you aren't hurting the author.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #37
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This argument will never be resolved, nor will the one about drm stripping rights.

Both have been going on, in one post or another, for years.

Yet........each side persists in trying to convince the other.

I am not neutral, by any means, but have finally learned to just watch....
I've only been here a few months and I'm starting to get to the same place.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Here is an interesting addition to the dialogue. Suppose a Jet Book user downloads and reads his library book on his Jet Book? Doing nothing but complying with the rules as outlined when he purchased the Jet Book, and doing nothing else, the library book will never expire due to the fact the Jet Book has no clock to keep track of the due date.

Soooo... is how much do you guys and women, think he is violating the law when he "forgets" to delete the book at the end of the 21 days?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #39
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Here is an interesting addition to the dialogue. Suppose a Jet Book user downloads and reads his library book on his Jet Book? Doing nothing but complying with the rules as outlined when he purchased the Jet Book, and doing nothing else, the library book will never expire due to the fact the Jet Book has no clock to keep track of the due date.

Soooo... is how much do you guys and women, think he is violating the law when he "forgets" to delete the book at the end of the 21 days?
I'd say to that user, "What if it DID expire, and there was nothing you could do about it?" If the user says, "I want the book forever, not just 3 weeks, so if I couldn't prevent it from expiring, I would have bought the book." Then it's immoral because he's robbing the author of money. But if he says, "I wouldn't have bought the book regardless. If I couldn't finish it in 3 weeks, I'd try to check it out again, or check out the paper book, or just forget it - I wouldn't read the book at all - I'd find something else to read." Then I don't think it's immoral for that Jet Book user to "forget" to delete it.

On a side note, Adobe ePub DRM works on a device that doesn't have a clock? I guess this means our kindles know not just the time but the date also? Otherwise how does it know the weeks are up?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #40
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Briefly allowing a friend to register to my account just to download one of my books?
this is interesting -- how do you do it?

re the library books ... once the DRM is stripped they are still able to "expire" on time, correct? so by converting one is not essentially stealing a book from the library in that they can keep it forever?
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #41
ebookerz
ebookerz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post

re the library books ... once the DRM is stripped they are still able to "expire" on time, correct? so by converting one is not essentially stealing a book from the library in that they can keep it forever?
I would say that technically it is. When you rent a paper book and you copy the whole thing to keep it long-term, you will break some copyright laws, too.

Doesn's mean I haven't done it before...
ebookerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #42
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I assume the Kindle must have some calendar as it is able to keep track of your periodicles to some extent (maybe not as fully as your Calibre or Amazon does on your my Kindle page).

I've always wondered, though, does DRM and duration of lending need to be connected? If you borrow an ebook from a library and you want to get it into a format compatible with your reading device... why should the time limit be lost?

Ultimately, it would be nice if Amazon would somehow make a way for users to be able to use library books. That could be as simple as providing an app to convert the appropriate epubs to a Kindle format or just allowing for Kindles to read epubs in the first place.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #43
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post

Once the DRM is removed the file doesn't expire. If you check your "My Digital Editions" folder all of the book files are still there. If you wanted, you could remove the DRM from "expired" books and then be able to read the book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #44
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I love my Kindle. But I also love library books. So, I picked up the Kobo Wireless..it was cheap enough. I wish Kindle would get on board with the library thing but it doesn't seem likely.

**Update** The Kobo Wireless will be going back(unless I give it to my mom as a gift)..I also have an iPad, and downloaded Bluefire Reader..I can now read library books on my Ipad. Cool!

Last edited by voracious71; 11-14-2010 at 10:23 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #45
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm hoping amazon will get round to supporting library epub just to have feature parity with other ereaders, as they did with lending. Then we will get epub capability in the back door sort of way. If that happens, amazon will pretty much own my butt, which I will happily sell to them

Edit:
Oops ever say something that came out dirtier than you intended? I just realized I used back door and butt in the same paragraph.

Last edited by Barty; 11-13-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote