Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #31
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
given that updates are released weekly, It should be possible to create a weekly scheduled task in windows task manager to go to site, download , latest, install it.... - for those you object to having to do it manually.... don't ask me how but I bet it can be done!
follow up as no-one took the challenge! - surely it's as simple as creating a shortcut to the download url & clicking it once a week.- or automating the click if you are real lazy .the url for windows is

Code:
http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win32
so I go to desktop, right click create new shortcut - give that code to shortcut wizard. - job done. Click weekly.
( except that with chrome as my default browser I get a safety nag because it is an executable link - not sure how to turn that off & not sure I want to anyway. this link says I cannot disable the nag http://www.google.com/support/forum/...37e3088e&hl=en )

alternatively - add that URL to your bookmarks / favourites then click weekly.

the next small step could be to create a scheduled task that runs that shortcut say every friday evening, or a next log on after that.....

alternatively - my download manager software ( Internet Download Manager)) has a scheduled download facility that I've never needed to use. I expect that would automate the process OK, probably including running the file once it's downloaded

c'mon guys, I'm crap at this stuff & it's took all of 5 mins to get this far. I'm thinking some sort of 2 line batch file to 1) do the download + deal with the nag + unblock the file 2) execute the DL file ( that file has aversion number in its name so that may be a tad harder but I'm sure it's all doable.

PS IE has the concept of trusted sites ( chrome has not AFAIK) . making the calibre web site a trusted site may reduce nags.

once solutions have been devised & shared for each main OS, we can all move on to "real" enhancements again

Last edited by cybmole; 02-18-2011 at 03:49 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #32
luce
luce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please add this feature!

Almost every time I start Calibre a new version is available and it takes quite some time to download 40 megabytes and install the update.

For me it would be enough if Calibre downloads the file in the background and then asks me if I want to run the setup.
luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One Loud NO vote for any 'Automatic Update'.

Note: I just had another program trigger a 'false positive' on my anti-virus during an update and corrupt the update.
Now that I repaired the original program, the auto-#$%^, won't give me the Laptops MFGR's update again (not on the manual download page, either.)

I read each 'whats new' and choose when and what.
(I also have different systems that I WANT to keep at different levels, 'just in case', to see if it was me or a new bug.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by luce View Post
For me it would be enough if Calibre downloads the file in the background and then asks me if I want to run the setup.
That would mean that every calibre install downloads every available update regardless of whether the update is going to be installed or not. That would be a huge waste of bandwidth, to the tune of 80TB *every* week.

If instead I had the get update button pop up a dialog that downloaded the update and then launched it, it would save the user two clicks a week. So that would mean I would have to maintain a couple of thousand lines of code to save people *at most* two clicks a *week*. Absolutely not worth it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #35
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I really like the gui plugin update system. And if more and more of calibre plugins are separated from the main program and be up-gradable individually it would be better than having to install all of calibre every time. But at the same time it would give a huge headache to Kovid and co.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #36
justinsc
justinsc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hey Kovid, I just joined the forums to post this comment. Apologies if you've gone over this issue many times -- I did a search and this was the first result.

What do you think of integrating with Sparkle (there are mac, windows and linux clones). It does the same notification that an update is available (and what changed) based on an rss feed. You don't download the update until you click the button (or click ignore), and then there's a one click install.

I don't know if Sparkle works with Python apps, but perhaps I can help with the dev too...

I'm a huge Calibre fan, and a better upgrade path would be a great touch!

Thanks,
Justin
justinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tomatic-update
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #38
megamaniac
megamaniac began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Nexus
you may take a look at my solution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219032
megamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote