Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Sidebar: set --prefix properly, you won't need to pass a DESTDIR to make install.

Don't set --build, that's generally not needed, and actively harmful in some circumstances.

Still: works on my end, so, PEBCAK it is .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #32
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Why do you want to compile the glibc? It's a *very* hairy process, best left to dedicated tools (f.g., buildroot), that no-one not actually building a distro should ever need to go through.
I am trying to build from scratch , i dont want glibc if there is a proper alternative that makes it boot properly. I need:kernel, busybox glibc dropbear and koreader, without glibc it wont boot.

But then again I did not see glibc in kobo's repo either so im wondering what they used

Quote:
Sidebar: set --prefix properly, you won't need to pass a DESTDIR to make install.

Don't set --build, that's generally not needed, and actively harmful in some circumstances.

Still: works on my end, so, PEBCAK it is .
It is highly likely almost always pebcak, otherwise its a bug

Last edited by BloodRagg; 03-27-2019 at 02:03 PM.
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was *probably* eglibc 2_15, before eglibc was merged back into glibc.

I'd highly recommend doing that with a real rootfs-building tool, like buildroot or something else, because, err, it'll make your life much, much, much easier. Plus, *you* will be dictating the TC, and the usual rootbuilding tools obviously do roll a TC as part of the process.

Things will get hairy if you want to match the Kobo's vanilla env for compatibility, because building older glibcs can be just plain hellish.

EDIT: I have no personal stake in the choice of tools, as I've never used one myself, I stick to x-compiling userland stuff with ct-ng TCs [But since that *does* involve x-compiling older glibcs, I have a long and varied history with that ^^]. I do know people have used buildroot in the past for Kindle stuff, but that's it .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Im not into the automation tools, i might start using them when i know how it works by hand.

Their libraries are small, and it "looks" like Kobo isnt compliant with GPL as the package is missing from their repo.
They havent used files from the toolchain either, those are way too big.

Its booting with their files, that presumably looking at their names are from glibc 2.11: ./ld-2.11.1.so, ./libc-2.11.1.so ..etc.

Slimmed down its about 4MB, KOReader adds another 65MB.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Libraries update are handled in a fairly arcane way by Kobo (for some reason): the UI historically used Qt4, but now uses Qt5, yet the Qt4 paths are somehow still half in use.

The glibc used to be ebligc_2.11, but was updated to eglibc_2.15 at one point, yet the filenames weren't changed.
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #36
BloodRagg
Zealot

Quote:
Libraries update are handled in a fairly arcane way by Kobo (for some reason): the UI historically used Qt4, but now uses Qt5, yet the Qt4 paths are somehow still half in use.

The glibc used to be ebligc_2.11, but was updated to eglibc_2.15 at one point, yet the filenames weren't changed.
That is caused by their update process, just dumps files in, but does not delete obsolete ones. .
I did not see eglibc either, so i filed an issue on GH.
They are 9 years overdue already so ill give m some slack

Hope they wont take forever
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #37
BloodRagg
Zealot

Well seems, they used sysroot from the toolchain:
Code:
Hello BloodRagg,

We're using the glibc from the toolchains here:
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/tree/master/toolchain.
In particular, latest firmware would be using glibc from the
Linaro gcc 4.8 toolchain.

The source for the toolchain can be found around here
https://releases.linaro.org/archive/13.04/components/toolchain/gcc-linaro/4.8/

No modifications were made, except for stripping the binaries
of debug symbols to save space.
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/80

They were fast

Tags
compile, crosscompile, examples, source code