Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #421
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
By the way, does anyone know what the name of this device is, if we want to distinguish it from the original Oasis? Is it Oasis 2?
Yes, it is KOA2
The definitive guide is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Those are the nicknames that are built into KindleTool.
All packages with a name format of: update_*.bin are "model locked", just the same as the Kindle packages are, they have to be, we and Amazon use the identical installer.
It is KindleTool that is used to build the model locked packages.

Do not be mislead by JSWolf - he has absolutely nothing at all to do with Kindle after-market development.
On the technical subject of Kindles, he is next to clueless and only posts to see what disturbances he can create.

JSWolf was repeatedly given the opportunity to update the KindleTool code to recognize his choice of nicknames and he has repeatedly refused to contribute to the work.
Best thing to do, just ignore him on the subject of Kindle technical matters.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #422
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, it is KOA2
The definitive guide is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Those are the nicknames that are built into KindleTool.
What does the "A" bring to the party? The initials "KO" are completely unambiguous - there's no other Kindle model that starts with the letter "O" other than the Oasis.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #423
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What does the "A" bring to the party? The initials "KO" are completely unambiguous - there's no other Kindle model that starts with the letter "O" other than the Oasis.
I think it is because the Oasis is nicknamed KOA. No one had any complaints about that nickname. So logic dictates that if the Oasis is A KOA then the second one should be KOA2.
Also the Kobo Aura is nicknamed KAO and no one has a problem with that.

It makes it easier on those answering the questions.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #424
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It makes it easier on those answering the questions.
Well, I'd like to think I answer more questions than most around these parts, and I certainly have no objection to anyone calling it the "KO2" should that be their preference . What the development community chooses to call it is of course entirely their choice.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #425
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, I'd like to think I answer more questions than most around these parts, and I certainly have no objection to anyone calling it the "KO2" should that be their preference . What the development community chooses to call it is of course entirely their choice.
Harry,
I was referring to specific developer questions.
Want to come help there? We have plenty of openings.
The problem is the devs have nicknamed KOA2 for their purposes. It does not do anyone any good for others to try and correct the name there. It just leads to confusion.
You and I both know a question out here is way less technical than a question for there.
Heck, I think the new Oasis should be called Orville.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #426
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Harry,
I was referring to specific developer questions.
Want to come help there? We have plenty of openings.
The problem is the devs have nicknamed KOA2 for their purposes. It does not do anyone any good for others to try and correct the name there. It just leads to confusion.
Of course, but this is not the development forum. Developers can use whatever naming convention they wish (and they do an excellent job - thank you to everyone involved in that community), but it has no bearing on how other people choose to refer to their devices.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #427
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Now I know that you can order a Kindle and have it shipped to an international address, however and if I’m not mistaken, this can only be done through Amazon.com (US)
That was true in the past, but not for the last couple of years. I cannot buy any Kindle through Amazon.com anymore. My last Oasis was from Amazon.de and the new Oasis was ordered from Amazon UK (fortunately it's not canceled, not yet, at least...). I guess this system is still pretty new and there are glitches.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #428
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The "help desk" of the developer's corner will no longer accept nicknames.
If the poster does not supply the first six characters of their serial number to identify the specific model, they get no response.

We can not give an answer to a technical question without knowing the specific model and the firmware version.
Anyone that tells you different is just guessing at answers.

We will just sit back and wait, see what becomes of the reputation of the developer's corner here.
Give it a few months of people with a non-technical background answering technical questions and you should see the result in the ad revenues.

I certainly will not put my name to anything done in technical forum dictated by people of non-technical background.
I still have 13 of my own web sites, I will go play with them.
Lots of luck people.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #429
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
FYI Amazon are calling it "Kindle Oasis (9th Generation)".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #430
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Never mind.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 10-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #431
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Both as a courtesy to the developers and in the interest of avoiding confusion, I don't see why anyone wouldn't use the specified preferred term.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #432
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Both as a courtesy to the developers and in the interest of avoiding confusion, I don't see why anyone wouldn't use the specified preferred term.
Out of curiosity, since I don't follow the developers' forum, where exactly did the A in KOA come from?
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #433
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Out of curiosity, since I don't follow the developers' forum, where exactly did the A in KOA come from?
See this explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The nickname for the Oasis model, KOA, was "technical group" chosen in the middle of the night when we needed something for file naming purposes.

We rejected: KO (Kindle Oasis) because of possible confusion with "Knock Out" model (which it might be when you consider the (sticker shock) price).

We rejected: OZ (an abbreviation of 'Oasis') because we thought our Australian members might never speak to us again.

Some authorities we found said that Oa (or OA) was the proper, 2 letter, abbreviation of 'Oasis'.

So: Kindle Oasis -> Kindle OA -> KOA it became.
Regardless of the chance it might be further nicknamed the "Campground Model" (somehow related to Kampgrounds Of America).

So KOA it is, unless someone comes up with some truly brilliant idea.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #434
robertpolson
Zealot
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
What conversions settings do I use in Calibre for Oasis 2? Generic HD or Paperwhite 3?
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:09 AM   #435
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
What conversions settings do I use in Calibre for Oasis 2? Generic HD or Paperwhite 3?
If you mean Output profile,, TABLET!!!
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote