Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #391
zencat
zencat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
In the meantime use the download over usb option and you get the old KF8 file for storage in calibre. Leave the KFX on Voyage unless you want to change metadata for sorting or somesuch.
zencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #392
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
In the meantime use the download over usb option and you get the old KF8 file for storage in calibre. Leave the KFX on Voyage unless you want to change metadata for sorting or somesuch.
This is odd. Doing the download over usb for one KFX book gives me an azw3 file but for two other KFX books I get text files. The first and second books are purchases, while the third is a KindleUnlimited book. I don't see anything that indicates why one KFX book downloads as azw and others as text.

BTW, the text file for the purchased KFX book is named with the title of the book but the text file for the KU KFX book is named FSDownloadContent. Perhaps this is just a difference between purchased and KU books.

At least Kindle for Mac is still downloading KFX books in azw format so that's the route I'll use to save my purchases until KforM starts supporting KFX. Perhaps by then someone will have figured out the KFX format.

Last edited by ssholloway; 09-04-2015 at 11:29 PM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #393
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@ssholloway: that is odd with KU. I usually don't download KU titles other than direct on Voyage. The only reason to do the download would be to strip DRM and store book for me - which I only do for purchases. I like the new typesetting, so I would be shooting myself in the foot to download the KF8, have the hassle of needing to connect Voyage to computer to transfer, and would only get the old version. For purchases it is worth the hassle, but the Voyage would still get KFX if possible.

Edit: it depends on the book which version you get, even for KU titles. Tested with the book I am reading right now, and it downloaded as AZW3 (Timebound by Rysa Walker)

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 09-05-2015 at 12:46 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #394
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
This is odd. Doing the download over usb for one KFX book gives me an azw3 file but for two other KFX books I get text files. The first and second books are purchases, while the third is a KindleUnlimited book. I don't see anything that indicates why one KFX book downloads as azw and others as text.
Why would you need to download a KU book by that method? Would you not want to send such a book directly to your Kindle? People generally only use this method if they want to add a book to Calibre, but that wouldn't seem to apply to a KU book, would it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #395
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One change I have just noticed in the 5.6.5 firmware that I hadn't noticed before is that footnotes are now genuine footnotes, shown at the bottom of the page, rather than appearing in a pop-up window as they did in the previous firmware version. That's a very nice improvement!
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #396
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One change I have just noticed in the 5.6.5 firmware that I hadn't noticed before is that footnotes are now genuine footnotes, shown at the bottom of the page, rather than appearing in a pop-up window as they did in the previous firmware version. That's a very nice improvement!
Nice. Does it handles footnotes longer than one page? Can probably be found in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #397
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Nice. Does it handles footnotes longer than one page? Can probably be found in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
If the footnote is long it has its own separate scrollbar, or there's still a "Jump to footnotes" link to allow you to display it full-screen.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #398
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
@ssholloway: that is odd with KU. I usually don't download KU titles other than direct on Voyage. The only reason to do the download would be to strip DRM and store book for me - which I only do for purchases.
I downloaded the KU book since it was one of only three KFX books on my PW2 and I wanted to see if I could make any sense of why some KFX books downloaded as azw and others as text. Granted it was a small sample size but unfortunately, the experiment yielded confusing results. I certainly did not mean to imply that I was trying to save the KU book in Calibre.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #399
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
This is odd. Doing the download over usb for one KFX book gives me an azw3 file but for two other KFX books I get text files. The first and second books are purchases, [emphasis added] while the third is a KindleUnlimited book. I don't see anything that indicates why one KFX book downloads as azw and others as text.

BTW, the text file for the purchased KFX book is named with the title of the book but the text file for the KU KFX book is named FSDownloadContent. Perhaps this is just a difference between purchased and KU books.

At least Kindle for Mac is still downloading KFX books in azw format so that's the route I'll use to save my purchases until KforM starts supporting KFX. Perhaps by then someone will have figured out the KFX format.
That's disconcerting that a purchased book downloaded as text. Ssholloway, can you elaborate a little on what you received for the purchased book? Was it a plain text (.txt) file, .rtf or something else? Did it contain all the text from the book or was anything lost? How was the formatting? Did you receive any graphics?

I think the important point here isn't that ssholloway downloaded a Kindle Unlimited book but that a purchased book downloaded as text!! Hopefully this was an error of some sort and not a sign of where Amazon is headed.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #400
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I think the important point here isn't that ssholloway downloaded a Kindle Unlimited book but that a purchased book downloaded as text!! Hopefully this was an error of some sort and not a sign of where Amazon is headed.
The point was that the KU book was inconclusive whether they ALL download as text or either or like purchased books. It does look though that KU books are exactly the same as purchased books. I think it is way too early to conclude where Amazon is headed. Textfiles would be nice, they can be viewed on almost any device without conversion. The new typesetting is brand new, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt to work all the kinks out. I am hoping part of the typesetting features make it into the KF8 rendering engine and will optionally work with old books / sideloaded books.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #401
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ the text file is probably just some kind of glitch, if indeed that is what happened.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #402
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I think it is way too early to conclude where Amazon is headed.
Agree. I'm leaning toward it being a glitch, as Barty notes above.

Quote:
Textfiles would be nice, they can be viewed on almost any device without conversion.
True. I'm just concerned about losing formatting. I don't need fancy stuff, like drop caps, but losing italicized text would be bad.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #403
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
...BTW, the text file for the purchased KFX book is named with the title of the book but the text file for the KU KFX book is named FSDownloadContent. Perhaps this is just a difference between purchased and KU books. ...
I doubt that this has anything to do with KFX. There have been similar reports from MAC users going back years. For example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6154180?tstart=0
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #404
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
not quite - window is not expandable, just a few lines of text making reading of longer footnotes painfull. pop-up expanded nicely on loger footnotes

PW2 has a bug of starting footnote twice (something like two lines then again from the start to the end, dependable of font and it's size)

PW3 can't show picture in footnote (I think it stops before picture and you are not aware that something is missing (picture and text after it)

both models shows hypenathed footnotes without a dash (old bug, reported but no one cares @amazon as usual) - quite ugly for reading
krbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #405
ssholloway
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
That's disconcerting that a purchased book downloaded as text. Ssholloway, can you elaborate a little on what you received for the purchased book? Was it a plain text (.txt) file, .rtf or something else? Did it contain all the text from the book or was anything lost? How was the formatting? Did you receive any graphics?
The text was obfuscated so I couldn't tell if the entire book was included. No graphics that I could see. I believe KFX obfuscated text is being discussed in a thread in the Kindle Formats forum.