Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #301
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Qt 5 uses 600, Qt 6 uses 700. I changed calibre 6 to convert numeric ones to symbolic ones so that this kind of nonsense doesnt happen with future qt upgrades.
Oh, Yes, thanks you.
However, values above 700 are not converted to symbolic.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #302
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there are no symbolic names for values above 700
Advert
Old 07-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #303
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
there are no symbolic names for values above 700
Minor nit: There are several references to 800 and 900 font weights with names. E.g.:

Code:
100 	Thin 				THIN
200 	Extra-light (Ultra-light) 	EXTRALIGHT
300 	Light 				LIGHT
400 	Normal (Regular) 		NORMAL
500 	Medium 				MEDIUM
600 	Semi-bold (Demi-bold) 		SEMIBOLD
700 	Bold 				BOLD
800 	Extra-bold (Ultra-bold) 	EXTRABOLD
900 	Black (Heavy) 			BLACK

Last edited by DNSB; 07-19-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #304
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The issue here is about names in CSS. Not general names. In CSS you are supposed to use numbers, or normal and bold for font-weight. That's it.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:41 PM   #305
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Is it Qt that does the font-weight a numeric value in Calibre 5 and string value in 6 for the comments?
Because currently the comments inherited from 5 have a slightly erroneous rendering of the font-weight [picture].

Actually, it's much nicer so it's cool.

If it's Qt, I understand, I would just be careful when Qt7 will happen.

Windows 10, Calibre 6.1
I came across this in the beta: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1980792

My solution was a search-and-replace:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For anyone else who's run into bold text rendering weirdly in the comments field (this may be dependent on UI font used):

QT6 changed the font weight for 'bold' from 600 to 700. You can search comments:font-weight to find them and then apply this search-and-replace:

Attachment 194770
Advert
Old 07-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #306
merniegirl
merniegirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Replying to Davidfor's post #73. I did as you directed. There are no .kobo files on my reader. Just book files and driveinfo and metadata.calibre. The problem occurred solely between my iMac where Calibre is installed and the Calibre library which I store in the cloud with a backup on an external hard drive on my desk. My reader was not plugged in. With v. 6, i couldn't access either one without getting that message. I had reinstalled the 7.2.1 version of DeDRM and wonder if this is the issue as I see further discussion about this from Kovid regarding system libcrypto and Apple. I nearly had heart failure when I saw the database corrupt messages. I have over 2100 books! The libraries are stored in the cloud and externally because I can't easily carry a 27" iMac out of the house in case of fire and would be heart broken to lose my books

Last edited by merniegirl; 07-19-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #307
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The bold looked a lot worse with highDPI on in Qt6 because the regular font was thinner then it used to be. But setting the environment variable to turn off HighDPI fixed all of that.

Code:
QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0
Old 07-19-2022, 04:14 PM   #308
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by merniegirl View Post
Replying to Davidfor's post #73. I did as you directed. There are no .kobo files on my reader. Just book files and driveinfo and metadata.calibre. The problem occurred solely between my iMac where Calibre is installed and the Calibre library which I store in the cloud with a backup on an external hard drive on my desk. My reader was not plugged in. With v. 6, i couldn't access either one without getting that message. I had reinstalled the 7.2.1 version of DeDRM and wonder if this is the issue as I see further discussion about this from Kovid regarding system libcrypto and Apple. I nearly had heart failure when I saw the database corrupt messages. I have over 2100 books! The libraries are stored in the cloud and externally because I can't easily carry a 27" iMac out of the house in case of fire and would be heart broken to lose my books
Mirror iMac (or any Calibre Main host) to the cloud (mirror is one way, a copy only)
.kobo is a FOLDER on my devices
Old 07-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #309
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Obok does not load anymore

I tried looking for info about the plugin probably not working under v6.x of Calibre but honestly I'm a bit lost. I saw mentions of a DeDRM 10.0.3 and from there I'm confused heh So is there a working plugin for v6.x or I better downgrade to 5.44 for now?

Edit : Okay, so I finally figured it out, here's how :

Went there to download the 10.0.3 zip file :

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases

Unzipped and then added both DeDrm and Obok plugins in Calibre... NOW it works!!

Last edited by Squirsier; 07-19-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:55 PM   #310
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by merniegirl View Post
As @theducks said, ".kobo" is a directory. And a Mac will treat this as a system directory will hide it by default. There are ways to show it, but, I don't use a Mac so I don't know them off the top of my head.

If you got the error you reported in your original post without the Kobo device plugged in, I have no idea how that happened. It should be impossible. That error is in the KobTouch driver. And it should only be executed when the device is connected. I have no idea how that error could be seen without the device being connected.

The statement that your library is stored in the cloud is always a problem. It is not a supported configuration and tends to break at some point.

If you are still getting errors, then you need to check what error you are seeing now and report that. If you are still seeing the error you reported now, you need to make sure the device is actually disconnected, and if it is disconnected, work out why the Mac is reporting that it is connected. But, if calibre is showing that error, it means that calibre has started and should be showing your library.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:44 AM   #311
korhoj
korhoj began at the beginning.

Device: Android 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepfire View Post
Firewall did not work. Calibre CAN download metadata, just not the covers. So I guess it is not really totally blocked?
I also had, just at first, a problem downloading covers in v.6 (6.1) I don't recall having had before (with any version < 6). As in your case, downloading just metadata worked though.

My problem seems to have been different than yours, but I did learn interesting things about how the process works. In my case I got an error (I didn't unfortunately save the exact error message) from the Google Images covers search, that stated something about the Search URL used being malformed.

I kept getting the same error, until at some point it vanished. I noticed then the log tends to say:
"Metadata sources cache was recently updated not updating again"

I wonder how long the min interval is? It at any rate seems my problem got solved when the cache did get updated at some point.

Since I personally had never done it, it took me a while to find the options for metadata and cover download in the first place, and learn what they are for To set them, go to:

Preferences > Sharing > Metadata download

I read kovidgoyal's post that said that even if a specific metadata/cover source fails, the app will still try to use the other sources. Nonetheless, not having known about it, I found it useful that one optimize the download order of the sources using the Cover priority fields.

Also, if a specific source is giving errors, one may want to temporarily uncheck it as a source. I currently use these settings:

Metadata sources
Source, Cover priority
[x] Amazon.com, 4
[ ] Big Book Search, 5
[ ] Edelweiss, 6
[x] Google, 2
[x] Google Images, 1
[x] Open Library, 3

I think I maybe also changed the timeout settings. At any rate they are now:
Max. time to wait after first match is found: 30 secs
Max. time to wait after first cover is found: 40 secs

Still another thing. I found two ways to download covers. You can either right-click a book and select Edit metadata > Download metadata and covers, and then there are multiple options, but say choose Download only covers. Assuming it works, you'll get a notification in the bottom-right area "Metadata download complete".

I saw the Google cache related error messages when I clicked View log at this point. Is a copy of this log saved automatically in %TEMP% (in Windows of course), I couldn't find it? The dialog lets one copy the log to the clipboard, which is very nice, but I didn't unfortunately save the text after taking a look at it

Anyway, if you press Review downloaded metadata, it seems even if Calibre does find many covers, it selects one of them (the largest?) which one may either accept or not.

However, if one doesn't like the cover suggestion, there's another way that lets you manually select which cover to use from all the search results. To do this, right-click the book and select > Edit metadata > Edit metadata individually. Then click Download cover. It shows each cover the search found and you can click which one you want to use as the cover (or Cancel, of course).

So all in all, I personally had a merely transient problem, and both the metadata and cover download features work perfectly atm
Old 07-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #312
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Mirror iMac (or any Calibre Main host) to the cloud (mirror is one way, a copy only)
.kobo is a FOLDER on my devices
Most cloud storage software does not have a mirror function. It only does a two way sync to keep things the same on the local system and the remote system. I do wish there was a mirror option in these programs.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:07 AM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-21-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #314
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
Will try that but I also note now that all of the dialog screens like convert and overdrive customization are too big for the screen and you can't hit the cancel or OK buttons even after trying to move the screen around and of course on those screens there is not minimize button to change the size.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #315
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
Changing the screen resolution fixed these problems, though I don't know how they got out of wack right at the time that I also updated to calibre 6.0
Closed Thread