Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I'd keep the LRF files intact if I were you. Simply convert them when you literally have to -- for now, it's unneccesary effort. BBeB is great, and the only reason sony is using it with their ebook stores is because of the more convenient DRM. :P
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
One can reference built-in LRF fonts with the following CSS:

Code:
@font-face
{
	font-family: sans-serif;
	src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf);
}
@font-face
{
	font-family: serif;
	src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf);
}
@font-face
{
	font-family: monospace;
	src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0419m_.ttf);
}
(regardless if PRS+ is installed or not )
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post

Code:
@font-face
{
}
@font-face
{
}
@font-face
{
}
The other day I found my 500 Bitstream Fonts CD. So I could reference those fonts and just add in the italic, bold, & bold italic. I may give it a try and see how it looks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:

Code:
@font-face
{
}
@font-face
{
}
@font-face
{
}
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The other day I found my 500 Bitstream Fonts CD. So I could reference those fonts and just add in the italic, bold, & bold italic. I may give it a try and see how it looks.
Which begs the question for us not-exactly-newbs-but-not-afraid-to-ask-anyway types... ...

Do you have to specify the italic/bold variants?

In other words, if you don't specify font-weight/font-style, does that mean the bold/italic variants are all correctly referenced with the code above? Or more specifically...

Code:
<body font="serif">
Normal text and <i>italic text</i> and etc.
</body>
Will this snippet work and produce serif italicized even though we never specified a font-style variant?

If I could think of a 4th way to ask the same question, I would... So watch it!!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In other words, if you don't specify font-weight/font-style, does that mean the bold/italic variants are all correctly referenced with the code above?
In short: yes.

In details: font rendering engine knows how to make it "bold" or "italic" having only "normal" font. But humans could produce better "bold" fonts than some silly scripts, so for some fonts "manually" created bold/italic/etc version is also supplied. If bold/italic/etc version of the font is missing, system will fall back to the first option, it will generate it (on the fly).
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I tried it and I found that the default space between the lines is just too large. Will have to play with that when I get a chance.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of converting my LRF books into epub format. I figure it's about time since even the Sony reader store has adopted the industry standard.

I started with a few and I although the look of the epub books is not bad, I am just accustomed to LRF and would prefer it. For example, the default small font of epub files is 1 or 2 sizes too small. Also, I don't really like the font it has after I convert them using Calibre (version 0.7 is amazing by the way, GUI is much cleaner and modern).

Is there a way I can modify the way they look? If yes, can you recommend a good font to use?

Thank you.
Weird! I learned the deDRMing only to be able to convert the epubs into lrf as I like it better. lrf has the better font sizes and often comes with different font than Sonys standard fonts embedded which I also like. Why would you like to change it as long as there is no obvious reason for it?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
In short: yes.

In details: font rendering engine knows how to make it "bold" or "italic" having only "normal" font. But humans could produce better "bold" fonts than some silly scripts, so for some fonts "manually" created bold/italic/etc version is also supplied. If bold/italic/etc version of the font is missing, system will fall back to the first option, it will generate it (on the fly).
Thanks! Precise answer to a question I didn't feel like I could clearly ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Weird! I learned the deDRMing only to be able to convert the epubs into lrf as I like it better. lrf has the better font sizes and often comes with different font than Sonys standard fonts embedded which I also like. Why would you like to change it as long as there is no obvious reason for it?
I, too, prefer LRFs. But as the industry moves toward ePUB, that is becoming the standard, and Sony will inevitably drop LRF support entirely... I suspect in the next Reader revision.

The other reason is that no other device supports LRF. I would love to have books on my iPhone in a pinch when I don't have my Reader, but since Apple rejected Sony's Reader program, and Sony isn't likely to resubmit it under the new (insane) rules, ePUB is the best way to do this. (OT: Does the Android version of the Reader program support LRF?)

I have developed a pretty good ePUB setup that mimics LRF very well, and even creates a margin so the 1000x damned page numbers don't bleed into text on the PRS-505 series. (Still no firmware update Sony? They're great with hardware design, but suck massively in terms of software.) I can't wait to try referencing LRF Sony fonts!

In terms of line spacing, JSWolf, you can adjust it with the line-height metric (use "em" rather than "pt"), though I suspect you already knew that.

-Pie
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
In terms of line spacing, JSWolf, you can adjust it with the line-height metric (use "em" rather than "pt"), though I suspect you already knew that.

-Pie
Yes, I knew that. Actually, for line-height, I use em or %. In this case, I'm not sure that I will need to use. I may have to try a negative value. But when I find out I'll post here to let everyone know.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Since you know how to strip ePub DRM, find a font size you like in ePub and you can easily go into the CSS and very easily set it to make the base font size the size you prefer and it will be used as the small size. No need to use LRF.

Since you have a 350, you won't be having to choose justified vs non-justified.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #26
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
I'm not sure that I will need to use. I may have to try a negative value.
Doesn't something like line-height: 0.8em or line-height: 80% work?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Since you have a 350, you won't be having to choose justified vs non-justified.
You still need set justified in the CSS or <body> tag if you want justified. ADE defaults to unjustified, but with the PRS-*50s, it now correctly recognizes the text-align: justify tag... but the tag needs to be there.

-Pie
Old 06-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
attrell
attrell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Is there a version of PRS+ for the 700?
I am getting frustrated with downloading free ebooks and then when I get them on my reader the lines split all over the place and there are page headers and page numbers dotted around the text including in the middle of words, etc. What am I doing wrong?
I have tried converting from txt & pdf to epub and BBeB and it just never looks right. I have tried editing in word and in html to find/delete the page headers but I can't do the same with the numbers. I use calibre and digital editions and also have AVS doc converter too.... Pls help!!
attrell is offline   Reply With Quote