Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-07-2023, 04:23 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The .ORIGINAL_EPUB is not created if you edit the EPUB, or annotate it, or use the Embed metadata tool on it etc. It is only created by like-for-like conversions, Polish and Modify EPUB (I think) and they are the only tools that use .ORIGINAL_EPUB format, if it exists.

If I have an .EPUB and I edit and save it with the calibre book editor I don't get an .ORIGINAL_EPUB format file. And if I have both an .EPUB and an .ORIGINAL_EPUB the editor wont even 'see' the latter.

On the rare occasion I do an EPUB->EPUB conversion, providing the conversion produces a satisfactory result I remove the .ORIGINAL_EPUB. And, because my usage of Polish or Modify is formulaic, I don't have them create .ORIGINAL_EPUBs.

I used to keep downloaded originals in a separate set of folders, I now keep them in the calibre library book data folders - with their original file names, and any DRM artefacts etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-07-2023 at 04:41 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:38 AM   #17
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
Yeah I basically just wanted to simplify the process of dealing with original files.

I can see that my method of converting epub to epub is probably not the best, I am only using it as a workaround to avoid having to deal with separate folders in calibre or externally.

The tweak to disable the creation of .ORIGINAL_EPUB is tangential to that issue. I assume there's an intended reason for .ORIGINAL_EPUB to exist in the first place and therefore I would like to retain the file.

I was thinking that, when .ORIGINAL_EPUB exists, it doesn't seem that it should be deleted. Since it is retained, I thought it was intended to be used as an archive. But as you have used it, it is more like a temporary file that enables you to "undo" a file modification.

In any case, it should be more clear that when more than one epub to epub file modification conversion is done, the .ORIGINAL_EPUB will be used. The unclear gui prompt in the Conversion menu says EPUB -> EPUB, which mentions nothing about .ORIGINAL_EPUB.

But, I don't know if that warrants any changes, since it's a niche problem with an unclear solution. Idk how archiving before conversion is meant to be done, but maybe it's not intended to be using .ORIGINAL_EPUB. I'd be happy with any way to save copy of original files whenever I do conversions.

---
I haven't really looked into what epub to epub conversion is doing to the file, or that polish or modify existed. I'll definitely look into that!

Last edited by arpeggioaccele; 11-20-2023 at 01:47 AM.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 04:19 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My perception of ORIGINAL_XXXX is consistent with the description of this tweak:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-20 201032.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	204823

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would rather have happen is that the original_epub is created and not used at all. I can restore it if I want it used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:19 PM   #20
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I would rather have happen is that the original_epub is created and not used at all. I can restore it if I want it used.
I agree. If original_epub does not exist, create it first, then make changes to epub. If original_epub exists, make changes to epub, and do not touch original_epub.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 04:13 AM   #21
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
That makes sense. It does seem useful when I want to test out various different conversion options, as the EPUB file is overwritten each time. Maybe the problem is that it is unclear from anywhere but tweaks that original_EPUB will be used as the conversion source.

I think my specific issue was that original_EPUB is also used when going from one source to a different source too, which is not described in the Tweaks description. When going from EPUB to PDF, if original_EPUB is present then it will be used.

Even if I were to use original_EPUB only temporarily only for testing conversions, I would have to keep replicating the same settings twice to get the EPUB and PDF outputs.

Right now, I am doing the original to EPUB conversion, using the editor on the EPUB file (which does not recognize the original_EPUB file) to replace the publisher's CSS, then EPUB to PDF for inverted colors. It was simpler to input all the settings once, not twice.

Perhaps there is a simpler workflow I am unaware of though.

Last edited by arpeggioaccele; 12-06-2023 at 12:19 AM.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epubtopdf, originalepub