Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #2761
marinai
marinai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4/KPW-3/Kindle3/Pocketbook-Touch Lux3/Kobo-Elipsa
@WizardStan, what did you want it to do?
You are definitely missing KUAL and maybe MR Package installer. and after that you load the bits you want to use: screensaver, fonts etc

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking
marinai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:09 AM   #2762
WizardStan
WizardStan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I followed the MRPI installation instructions (extracting the package to the root of the kindle), then these instructions for installing KUAL (copy Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.22_install.bin into the mrpackages folder), but when I do a search for ";log mrpi" (yes, I included the semicolon) it doesn't seem to install anything, just tells me "No Results Returned".
What am I doing wrong?
WizardStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #2763
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Failed to first jailbreak the device.

Possible problems:
Your info box on the left does not indicate a specific device nor does your post.
The firmware version of your device is unknown.
You must know both of those things before trying to jailbreak the device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #2764
WizardStan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, obviously, but why? When I run the jailbreak "update" it says "****Jailbreak****" at the bottom, but it's not doing anything else that I expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your info box on the left does not indicate a specific device nor does your post.
The firmware version of your device is unknown.
You must know both of those things before trying to jailbreak the device.[/QUOTE]
I do know both of these things. Like I said in my first post: it's a Paperwhite, serial number starting with B01C to be sure, downgraded to firmware 5.3.3 as the very first thing I did.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #2765
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@WizardStan: The PW1 is an odd duck because of its age.

Assuming you're not using funky old links (I didn't check), your JB should be fine.

Just use the KDK-2 AZW2 variant of KUAL (i.e., Kindlet), install MRPI, and just find it in KUAL. (;log mrpi is a detour needed on much newer devices to avoid a catch-22 where you can't install KUAL without MRPI, which doesn't apply to you).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #2766
WizardStan

That was it. I've got usbnet installed and root access now. Thank you so much NiLuJe!
I picked it up at Goodwill for $2, figured I might rip it apart for use as a cheap eInk display in a microcontroller project I'm working on, but then I realized it just runs linux: if I can get root, and specifically the ability to draw to the screen, I can just write an app to act as a bridge and do whatever I want.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #2767
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@WizardStan: Shameless self-promotion: https://github.com/NiLuJe/FBInk .
Old 02-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #2768
BillJ
BillJ began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 10
Sorry about jumping to the last page but 2012? Anyway, I have a refurbished Paperwhite, came marred with a fingerprint on the black border, bought a few years ago, late 2017, ser# G090 G105... firmware 5.12.3. I anticipated a fairly easy JailBreak. Unpacked the 1.16.N on an RPI3, then unzipped kindle-5.4-jailbreak to the root of the kindle, umounted and looked but the Update Your Kindle was grayed out. *****JAILBREAK***** never appeared, I restarted the kindle and still no change. Then I tried the OLD_README directions, coping data.stgz to the root and unmounting. No Update. Rebooted and no change. Remounted on the RPI. Added the data.stgz again, umounted, remounted and it was still in root so unmounting didn't delete it as it appears to have been happening to a poster a page back. I also tried changing the permissions from -rwxr-xr-x with chmod 0777 ./data.stgz but the permissions on the RPI were unchanged. Unmounting and booting saw no improvement and I tried it with Airplane mode off. Suggestions please. Thanks.

BillJ
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #2769
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
Sorry about jumping to the last page but 2012? Anyway, I have a refurbished Paperwhite, came marred with a fingerprint on the black border, bought a few years ago, late 2017, ser# G090 G105... firmware 5.12.3. I anticipated a fairly easy JailBreak. Unpacked the 1.16.N on an RPI3, then unzipped kindle-5.4-jailbreak to the root of the kindle, umounted and looked but the Update Your Kindle was grayed out. *****JAILBREAK***** never appeared, I restarted the kindle and still no change. Then I tried the OLD_README directions, coping data.stgz to the root and unmounting. No Update. Rebooted and no change. Remounted on the RPI. Added the data.stgz again, umounted, remounted and it was still in root so unmounting didn't delete it as it appears to have been happening to a poster a page back. I also tried changing the permissions from -rwxr-xr-x with chmod 0777 ./data.stgz but the permissions on the RPI were unchanged. Unmounting and booting saw no improvement and I tried it with Airplane mode off. Suggestions please. Thanks.

BillJ
Did you try the first post in the Open Sesame! sticky thread at the top of this sub forum?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #2770
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
Sorry about jumping to the last page but 2012? Anyway, I have a refurbished Paperwhite, came marred with a fingerprint on the black border, bought a few years ago, late 2017, ser# G090 G105... firmware 5.12.3.
Short answer:
No closed Kindle/software jailbreak available for PW3.

Serial port/hardware jailbreak only.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #2771
BillJ

Thanks!

Seeing this: G090G1 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi PW3 [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]

Is the KindleTool 1.6.5 good for anything? The end I was looking for was to put a Nook app onto the Paperwhite.

Last edited by BillJ; 02-20-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #2772
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@BillJ: KindleTool has approximately nothing to do (anymore) with the JailBreak? (The only tangentially related information is that if it's not in the list, it's not supported *at all*)).

As for your end goal, that'd have been a massive nope even if you could have jailbroken it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-20-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #2773
BillJ

Shame.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #2774
destinonor
destinonor began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 2
Question Jailbreak stopped working after unwanted FW upgrade

Hi,

My PW3 got FW 5.12.4 unwanted and jailbreak-1.16.N-r16683 is no longer working.

I tried to install Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin but it fails. With the message "An invalid update file found. Please check amazon.com/devicesupport ..."

And the file is automatically deleted.

Is this already faced by other users? Is there any way to restore the jailbreak. I'll really miss all the good stuff as linkss

Nevertheless my thanks for all the fantastic work done here.

cheers,
Eduardo
destinonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #2775
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
@destinonor
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3944226
and then
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=746
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch