Old 12-15-2023, 01:41 PM   #2146
Lief
Enthusiast
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Same or different books?
sorry for the late reply, same book (manga).
and I tried again today with the same result...
I will try the updated version too now.

PS. The same is true for version 2.3 manga now download as azw3 again.
Books still download as KFX on version 2.3 and still can be converted/dedrm with the same setup as before.

Last edited by Lief; 12-15-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:36 PM   #2147
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Problems with Kindle for PC

I have been using Kindle for PC 1.17 and had followed the instructions to disable update (that I found here).

Everything was working fine. Well mostly - some books wouldn't open. But as long I got the AZW file and it exported into Calibre, I didn't need to see it on the Kindle for PC app.

The last book I downloaded from Amazon was 30 Nov 23.

Yesterday, I found a book I wanted. I purchased and sent to Kindle for PC. Well, when I tried to open I got an error.

Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle for PC Problem.png
Views:	186
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	205858

So, yes, I am still using Windows 10. My laptop is not eligible to be updated to 11. I cannot afford and don't feel like looking for a new laptop right now.

Anyway, it appears I cannot "skip" this step as in the past. I was hoping all would be well. I downloaded and installed the new update (2.3). This was even worse and would not download the new book either. The old books would not even work. So I went back to 1.17. New book still does not download. But the previous downloaded books work better! At least the ones I redownloaded.

This is the link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title

Can anyone tell if there is a clue here as to why I cannot download this book?

Thanks,
Goldilocks
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 09:08 PM   #2148
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kindle for PC 1.17 doesn't download books published in 2023 and 2024. You need version 2.3.0 and the deDRM plugin 10.0.9 (not 10.0.3 or earlier).

As to why you can't download the book you linked (published in 2020), sorry, no idea.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:32 PM   #2149
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The book downloads to K4PC 2.3 as a KFX file. You are going to need the KFX Input plugin installed in calibre and update your DeDRM plugin to 10.0.0.9 to be able to import your books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:45 AM   #2150
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are two mysteries here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As to why you can't download the book you linked (published in 2020), sorry, no idea.
Other reasons why a book might not download with the older Kindle for PC version includes content that requires KFX format (such as certain languages) or a requirement from the publisher for unbroken DRM. Neither appears to apply for this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The book downloads to K4PC 2.3 as a KFX file.
The report was that version 2.3 "would not download the new book either", not that the resulting book could not be imported into calibre. Something more fundamental appears to be going wrong, perhaps an incompatibility between the new Kindle for PC and their older laptop.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 08:14 PM   #2151
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just an update.

Restarted computer (for an update). Still no luck with the book I purchased. I returned it to Amazon.

I did a test of 2 Prime Read for Free eBooks. Both downloaded successfully and I was even able to add to Calibre (need the ePub).

Thanks to everyone for trying to figure out my issue.
I just don't know where to get downloadable eBooks anymore.

Goldilocks
Old 01-18-2024, 08:35 PM   #2152
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I just don't know where to get downloadable eBooks anymore.

Goldilocks
Kobo, Google Play, ebooks.com, Smashwords...

And you can still deDRM Amazon books too. You just need to update the Kindle for PC and the deDRM plugin, plus install the KFX input plugin.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:25 PM   #2153
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo, Google Play, ebooks.com, Smashwords...

And you can still deDRM Amazon books too. You just need to update the Kindle for PC and the deDRM plugin, plus install the KFX input plugin.
Thanks Sirtel.

I have the Kobo app, I just didn't like their book formatting (leave a lot of stuff out of the published book, double chapter markings.) But all my Sony eBooks moved there. It has been awhile since I checked them out. I guess I could do a test drive.

ebooks.com looks interesting. They have the same book that I couldn't download from Amazon and the same price (everyone else is a lot higher priced). I don't know if I have an account there or not.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:37 PM   #2154
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Kobo has a price-matching guarantee. However, it's very specific and must be the exact same edition - unfortunately, this may result in books not qualifying because they're a slightly different "Kindle edition."

Unfortunately, if something is on Kindle Unlimited and is either self-published or small publisher, you won't find it anywhere else. Amazon has an exclusivity clause for the KDP Select program.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:29 AM   #2155
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

Device: KV, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I don't know where to get downloadable eBooks anymore.

Goldilocks
I have a Kindle Voyage, a Jailbroken one, and I kept it in specific firmware so Amazon purchases can be DeDRMed. Also, there is zlibrary, which has a convenient Android app.

Last edited by MrKaon; 01-26-2024 at 04:35 AM.
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:42 AM   #2156
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I wouldn't suggest illegal shadow libraries. Against MR's rules, for one.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:34 AM   #2157
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So called 'shadow libraries' deprive authors of income and less than 1% of authors make big money. The majority make less than the minimum wage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:10 AM   #2158
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Have you tried version 1.39 for kindle for pc. That still works on older versions. It supports kfx too. Unless book requires newer drm than 1.39 . Should work on most books except maybe text books.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:55 PM   #2159
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
Kobo has a price-matching guarantee. However, it's very specific and must be the exact same edition - unfortunately, this may result in books not qualifying because they're a slightly different "Kindle edition."
I worried about this, since Amazon doesn't put complete edition information on their book pages (e.g., instead of an ISBN, Amazon provides an "ASIN"). You can't get a price match until after you buy the book at Kobo, and the refund is store credit, which raises the stakes a little.

Fortunately, so far, I haven't had any price match requests turned down. I make sure the cover and the descriptions match. I think Kobo is matching Amazon price minus 10%, so if the Amazon book is $1.99, Kobo will charge you $1.79.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:28 AM   #2160
mkbooks
mkbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Generic
Unhappy I'm new to all this

Hi there, i downloaded kindle app and book i purchased, it's AZW format file. Book came out in sept 2020. I installed calibre and the two extension, but when i try to open the book, it shows me the windows pop-up of unknown file ask me what to use to open "kfx-zip"..?!

I'm stuck here then. I searched a bit, it appears it means deDRM failed? I then found this page but i'm a bit confused on the process.. I tried loading book in 4.23 with deDRM 6.xx but it shows unknown cover, so i guess failed too? Please confirm and tell me what i can try, thanks!
mkbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc