Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #1891
mcinnocent
Enthusiast
mcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sad to say -- fw5.6.x is still off our radar for vanilla jailbreaking.
Did I understand you right? You want to say that Kindle PW with fw5.6.x is not yet jailbrakeable?
Does there exist another method to read ePubs with such a kindle ?
mcinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #1892
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Correct -- no matter which hardware model, fw5.6.x is off our radar.

calibre allows you to read EPUBs on your Kindle -- by converting them.
That is what I do - on my jailbroken Kindle. The jailbreak is used for other things, like screensavers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #1893
mcinnocent
Enthusiast
mcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle4NT
and you cannot downgrade the firmware?
:-(
mcinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #1894
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See the first post, it is the source of all current info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EVEN MORE IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0:

As with the previous notice, the JailBreak obviously won't work on these new versions.

That said, it does survive an update to >= 5.6.0, provided your JailBreak is up to date (see the update notice earlier in this post. Take particular notice of the comment about factory resets).

Do note that running FW >= 5.6.x implies a number of restrictions, though: you will NOT be able to (easily) downgrade your device once 5.6.x has been installed (even on devices where this was previously possible),
note the "even on devices where this was previously possible" bit.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #1895
thebigbaos
thebigbaos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Hey guys, just got my kindle the other day, it's a 5. 4.5, is it possible to downgrade it to 5.4.2? I keep seeing that there are links to downgrade from 5.4.6> but would that also work on the 5.4.5?
thebigbaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #1896
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbaos View Post
Hey guys, just got my kindle the other day, it's a 5. 4.5, is it possible to downgrade it to 5.4.2? I keep seeing that there are links to downgrade from 5.4.6> but would that also work on the 5.4.5?
No special procedure required to downgrade 5.4.5 - just do it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #1897
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@thebigbaos: You might need the bit of trickery explained in the relevant section of the first post to downgrade from 5.4.5, but it is doable.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #1898
thebigbaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@thebigbaos: You might need the bit of trickery explained in the relevant section of the first post to downgrade from 5.4.5, but it is doable.
Alright, Thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #1899
thebigbaos

Oh my god. My kindle has updated to 5.6.1 without me knowing it. I'm guessing the trick for 5.4.5 is not going to work for 5.6.1. So what should i do now? on the first post it read that the kindle is capable of surviving an update to 5.6.0 provided that my jailbreak is up to date. Well how can i survive an update i already got? Am I at the point of no return?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #1900
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I am afraid you are screwed.

You should have been warned not to turn on WiFi until after you were successfully jailbroken.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #1901
thebigbaos

Damn it I should have known. Well thanks anyway
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #1902
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbaos View Post
Damn it I should have known. Well thanks anyway
Welcome to the Hacker's Challenge Club via an Amazon, involuntary, OTA update.

And I bet you thought you owned the device's behavior after you bought it.

I am not going to give up on this subject until either the law on it enters the 21st century or I die of old(er) age. I.E: the squeaky wheel theory.

Last edited by knc1; 04-06-2015 at 09:12 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #1903
maxtr
maxtr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How do you find the Root Password?

I'm trying to login via ssh over wifi and I can't find anything on the root password. Anybody know anything?
maxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 PM   #1904
tallest2seat
tallest2seat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
NOTE: If you had the misfortune of getting a silent OTA update to FW >= 5.6.1 while running an outdated JailBreak, all is not lost, you should be able to get everything back up without jumping through too many hoops .
I'm so sorry for what is most likely a stupid inquiry...My kindle updated on it's own when my bf connected to download a book (Possibly) Fortunately, I *believe* my jailbreak was up to date, the update above was successful, and I can still see all the jailbreak folders when I connect my kindle. However, anything else I try to do beyond that doesn't work. Any bin files just disappear when I eject my kindle. I'm thinking I'm screwed, even though the update shows success. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my ignorance
tallest2seat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #1905
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallest2seat View Post
However, anything else I try to do beyond that doesn't work. Any bin files just disappear when I eject my kindle. I'm thinking I'm screwed, even though the update shows success. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my ignorance
The way you apply hacks changed. Now bin files get deleted as soon as you eject your kindle from your pc.
To re-install hacks you have to use KUAL and its plugin MR Plugin installer!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch