Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That is certainly true in the ideal case, but in my experience the e-book is MUCH more likely to contain errors, for two reasons: 1) it's so easy to publish digitally that almost anyone can think himself able to do the job (I like Hitch's sig file warning about amateurs and professionals), and 2) it's so hard to proof-read on a computer screen.

Oddly, I find that my Fire tablet is the better tool when it comes to 2). Perhaps because what I'm seeing is more like an actual book?

I am tempted to add a third reason: 3) there's much more personal investment in the paper edition. I never fail to enlist my other half in proofing the paper edition. I make two copies of the PDF and read aloud to her. If I don't catch the error, she will.

I believe that my books are as error-free as anything from Oxford University Press -- the print editions, I mean. I would never say that about the e-books.
You read from the eBook and NOT the PDF. Then you can catch errors in both the print version and the eBook version and both are as error free as you can make them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #167
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You read from the eBook and NOT the PDF. Then you can catch errors in both the print version and the eBook version and both are as error free as you can make them.
I would agree. There are problems in an eBook that flows text that are not found by reading a PDF which is basically the same visual image you get with the paper book. Even though technically PDF is an eBook format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
semantic, semantic markup