Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, it does.
Thank you so much for answering.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:12 AM   #1637
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Somewhere my point/question is being missed...

It is assumed that Amazon will (eventually) kill K4PC 1.17 by blocking it from being able to download ANY books. IF that happens, then would it be fair to say that AZW as a format will be dead? At least for folks like me that do not own an actual Kindle? As in, if you use K4PC 1.19-1.26, you will get KFX, not AZW.
You would still have methods 2 or 4 if you could download it with an earlier version. Block KFX downloads or get KFX that can still be decrypted.
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #1638
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
You would still have methods 2 or 4 if you could download it with an earlier version. Block KFX downloads or get KFX that can still be decrypted.
Ah, thank you. I'll give it a shot if/when they kill 1.17.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #1639
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I guess so. We don't know what Amazon is going to do re 1.17, though.
exactly - we don't know amazons plans - I was speculating in another thread how/ if they will kill azw. Doing so would make any kindle > 4+ years old pretty useless, but I cant find any data on how may of those are still in use
kfx arrived with pw 3, 2018.

i think they will do it in ~12 months time. when there are fewer older kindles in use

many people will have upgraded by now, not because of a format they don't know or care about but for better screen resolution, comfort lights etc.

yes, i know that kfx was promoted as supporting better typesetting, but do people really base a book buying decision on whether enhanced type setting is available, rather than " is it a good story" ?
outside of these forums, how many people could explain "enhanced typesetting" ?

being told that you need to upgrade an app to a later version for it to keep working is so commonplace, its not going to cause an outcry, especially if the upgrade is free.

we don't even know for sure if A are making these changes because of piracy, or because they actually want to push the enhanced presentation features and sell more newer devices

in the "do they have previous form" column:
. some textbooks are already .kfx only - take it or leave it. also some graphic novels/colour guides.

. they dropped 3g support for kindles sold with 3g, and got away with it

. they are well down the road of killing off .mobi

meantime, buying a cheap, old , used but not blacklisted , kindle so you have a serial number registered to your account is good insurance

Last edited by stumped; 01-06-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #1640
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ok, did some testing with more recently-released free books. ASIN B0BNDDCQB9 (link) won't download. I don't know how to identify a KFX-only book though.

Ok, based on test with only this one free but published in 2023 book (and also couple of older books, published waaay before 2023. that I've bought previously) I've first confirmed that Kindle for PC version v1.34.1 indeed doesn't want to download that particular book and then I've tested to see if it would be possible to use an older / ( more like ancient ) version of Kindle for Android app (installed on rooted Android phone or rooted BlueStacks Android emulator) to download that book in format that could successfully be deDRM-ed.

The oldest apk I've found on the internet and tested was for "Amazon Kindle-7.6.0.39.apk" and when using that version of Android app the books are downloaded as KFX format (split into multiple files) but a version of KFX that is successfully deDRM-ed and imported into Calibre as single file / monolithic KFX (not KFX-ZIP, which is the end result if deDRM procedure is not successful). v8.x downloads KFX that can't be deDRM-ed. And this v7.6.0.39 successfully download that ASIN B0BNDDCQB9 book. (as KFX format)

I have no idea if there exist even older version of Android app than this v7.6.0.39 that is still functional (can still register and download books) that would perhaps download azw3 format instead of KFX.

So this setup would be somewhat cumbersome alternative for people who don't want to buy used Kindle e-Ink device or can't buy it for whatever reason.

Root permission is required in order to copy the /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/databases/map_data_storage.db file that is used by deDRM plugin.

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-06-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #1641
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
No you don't. New eBooks since January 3rd need the current version of KindleforPC/MAC.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #1642
Zontomaatje
Zontomaatje began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet with Aldiko
And the file you get from transferring it from the site to your Kindle can't be decrypted. It gives you an azw3 file but in Calibre it is KFX
I have tried 20+ files released after January 3rd, and they all have the new encryption.
I stopped trying
Old 01-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #1643
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zontomaatje View Post
And the file you get from transferring it from the site to your Kindle can't be decrypted. It gives you an azw3 file but in Calibre it is KFX
I have tried 20+ files released after January 3rd, and they all have the new encryption.
I stopped trying
Are any of them free? If so, can you post a link and I'll download it and try to remove the DRM.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #1644
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are any of them free? If so, can you post a link and I'll download it and try to remove the DRM.
Here's one:

Quote:
Ok, did some testing with more recently-released free books. ASIN B0BNDDCQB9 (link) won't download. I don't know how to identify a KFX-only book though.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:27 PM   #1645
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Here's one:
Amazon US link... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNDDCQB9
Old 01-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #1646
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops.

I found the book by filtering to new releases: last 30 days (alas, can't get more specific than that) and sorting price: low to high.

This one was released January 3.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #1647
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
None of the books mentioned by JSWolf or ownedbycats can be downloaded to K4PC.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:42 PM   #1648
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oops.

I found the book by filtering to new releases: last 30 days (alas, can't get more specific than that) and sorting price: low to high.

This one was released January 3.
Do you have one with DRM? This one has no DRM as KF8.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:44 PM   #1649
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have one with DRM? This one has no DRM as KF8.
I don't know. I just picked it randomly out of the search.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:48 PM   #1650
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't know. I just picked it randomly out of the search.
The Wells book also has no DRM.
Closed Thread

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc