Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #136
docinabox
docinabox is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, Treo 755p
Don Quixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaan View Post
+1

I can't get past the first half of the first volume.
Does it get better?

No
docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #137
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The (KJV) Bible, of course - quotable, certainly, and worth reading once, but over-rated nevertheless.

Last edited by Mr. Dalliard; 09-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #138
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
The Bible, of course.
Perhaps the Ultimate Over-hyped Classic.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #139
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Perhaps the Ultimate Over-hyped Classic.
I didn't want to be the first one to say it...thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #140
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I didn't want to be the first one to say it...thanks.
Well I did, indirectly, since in the original post, I requested that folks leave religious works out of the discussion.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #141
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The (KJV) Bible, of course - quotable, certainly, and worth reading once, but over-rated nevertheless.
And also a key of sorts to a surprisingly large portion of Western art and literature... the bible in general, and the KJV to a lot of English Literature in specific.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #142
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I love the King James Version. It's the most poetic version on the market. True, Biblical scholarship has left it in the dust, but the prose is, IMHO, unsurpassed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #143
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm not sure I'd say it's overhyped, but I remember being utterly unsympathetic to the heroine in Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I read it in junior high - which made me 12 or 13 - and the little feminist in me just wanted to tell her to "get over it already"!

I have always meant to re-read the book now that I have a better understanding of the culture at the time...and an adult's ability to see more shades of gray!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #144
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Pffff... that's only a warm-up for Proust
Now you're talking.....

Proust.

I bought Swann's Way, one day. I should be grateful i didn't buy the rest of the 'series' at the same time.

Awful.

Read any glowing review.... and you're bound to hear how wonderful his description of the little boy's struggle to sleep and missing his mumsies.
Horrible little child. Couldn't read on with such a strong urge to reach inside the book and give the pesky little twerp a good slap upside the head.
A Proust lover of course will say this is an indication of his sublime descriptive skills.

Tolstoy's good fun though
Mind you, i did start with Anna Karanina first, before the 'big one'.

Nabokov - Lolita is at the other end of the scale, for me. Problem is, none of his other books come close to it.

I remember enjoying Neuromancer too... but that was some time ago. Recently reread 'Slaughterhouse 5' (1969 ok?) and am very glad i did. Excellent.

"So it goes".

Coops

ps have Moby Dick on my Sony ebook/ereader thingy - shall see about that one.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #145
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I could not finish Tale of Two Cities. I just couldn't do it.
I had to read Tale of Two Cities twice, and I hated it both times. I've tried to read other Dickens works and ran into the same problem. His writing is too dry for me.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #146
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm not sure I'd say it's overhyped, but I remember being utterly unsympathetic to the heroine in Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I read it in junior high - which made me 12 or 13 - and the little feminist in me just wanted to tell her to "get over it already"!

I have always meant to re-read the book now that I have a better understanding of the culture at the time...and an adult's ability to see more shades of gray!
It was one of the books we had to study at school - I loved it then and I love it now!!!!

Polanski's film version was a disgrace.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #147
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
... Horrible little child. Couldn't read on with such a strong urge to reach inside the book and give the pesky little twerp a good slap upside the head ...
Where you from, Coops? I thought that phrase was local to Alabama.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #148
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Where you from, Coops? I thought that phrase was local to Alabama.
i'm British, living in Thailand - spent some years in my childhood in Dallas, and Chicago later on, but not sure where i heard/picked that phrase up from. Just sounds good.

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #149
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Slap upside the head? If it is, it's spread via books n movies. I use it on occasion too, have for decades.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #150
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I suddenly woke up last night with the horrible remembrance of a work so hideous that it could rival 'Moby Dick' - Mervyn Peake's 'Gormenghast' trilogy.

I've wasted weeks of my life trying to get through that, and I'm worried I might be stupid enough to make another assault at some future date. If anyone spots me reading it, feel free to give me a good slap upside the head.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote